Randy's Jmp's Not Handwired???

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

Randy's Jmp's Not Handwired???

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I think you are very right, but maybe he used one 'handwired' Marshall though:
From the pics it looks Randy had 4 Marshall's. Two of them had rocker switches and so yep they must had a pcb board instead of the handwiring. (unless they were modded to handwired) As you can see he had two toggle switch Marshalls as well. The one down left has to be also a pcb since it has a bigger logo, that one is probably '76 jmp Marshall. But the Marshall at the top left with the smaller logo could be a handwired one though. There are not much pics of that last Marshall, in the pic below probably the same amp is in upper center right above Randy's head and as you can see it has an extra polarity switch. To me when looking at this pic it looks very much like how EVH and Gary Moore used their Marshall's in the late seventies/early eighties. And if so the 'mysterious' polarity switch Marshall (which could be handwired...) could be his soil of sound where the others are just used as 'slave' amps. Of course this is just speculating from my side. :)
(would be interesting to hear Pete Mertons about this in the upcomming documentary. :wink: )
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Isn't this Randy's Marshall head? I don't think you'll never get a clearer pic...
Attachments
randy rhoads 004.jpg
The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:those were much later pics, prob in 82, he didnt have those in 81. he may have just gotten those b4 he died.
What??????? Do you want to be banned.......????

:lol:

Nope, he did use 4 Marshall heads already from the begin of the the '81 tour. Check out the May '81' Palladium footage, if you watch that close you can see at times a fourth Marshall stacked upon the white one in the middle, just like in the second picture in my post before. Check out the "Day on the Green" July '81 show pics, one can see only 3 amps there but good chance the 'polarity' Marshall was behind the stacks. :wink:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Isn't this Randy's Marshall head? I don't think you'll never get a clearer pic...
Looks like the real deal! 8)
Hence the difference in look with the '1959 ah ah'......
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

The Flying Dutchman

Two pics from DOTG July '81, three amps there, the amp outer right is the one with the toggle switches and bigger logo, probably a 76 JMP. ('76 was a transition year)

I can't find pics from that '81 May Palladium show with 4 head being visible that quick, but maybe the second pic I posted was from that show?
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

This one is from may 2th 1981, the Palladium show:

4 Marshalls! 8)
The Flying Dutchman

Hey Elliot,
I confused the 'rocker' switches with the 'toggle' switches. :oops:
(english is not my home language..... :wink: )
The ones that are visible in the 'After Hours' show have the 'rocker' switches, corrected that in my posts above. :wink:
As far as I know the amps with the 'rocker' switches were always pcb. If I'm correct after '73 Marshall stopped making handwired amps, the toggle switch Marshalls can be handwired or pcb.
Last edited by The Flying Dutchman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:toggle as in the silver one on the slp reissue. the light up ones are after '76. im guessing since hes randy that the toggle ones are handwired.
If I'm correct '76 was a transition year where they switched from the old style layout to the newer JCM style. The one with the toggle switches and bigger logo was a '76 and so not handwired. All the old handwired ones with toggle switches had the smaller marshall 'plexi' logo. So only the one with the extra polarity switch (toggle) and smaller logo is maybe a handwired. (stacked upon the white head in the Palladium pic) But I can't tell for sure...... But I'm pretty sure the other three Marshall's were pcb and not handwired.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

wareagle wrote:his white one, and black next to it artn handwird. the ones in the after hours. but ye the smaller marshall logo and toggle switches are hw.
Exactly.
And in the pic below the one at right has toggle switches and a bigger logo, that one has to be PCB board also Image

This the same amp, as you can see a bigger logo, '76 amp so pcb, not handwired.....

Here another '81 pic, hence the toggle switch Marshall with smaller logo is not in there, every time you see the same setup of the three heads daisy chained together and good chance the toggle swich smaller logo head was behind the stacks instead of stacked upon the white one in the middle as was in the Palladium show.

wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »