Randy's full potential

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

I know I was a bit hard on EVH, but I stand by my position that Randy was, by far, a better player with broader influence. Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG FAN of early VH, mainly because of EVH...I still think Randy has influenced more seasoned guitarists than EVH.
But it's true though about most modern metal players
having alot of Ed in them
This may be true, but "metal players" are a small percentage of the guitar playing population...generally speaking. Randy's influence and ideas transcended beyond the world of Metal, I think that was more my point.

As far as Randy "copying" EVH...
Randy has often expressed that he was "forced" to learn EVH style because that is what his students wanted at the time, and through teaching, he naturally adopted some of this into his own style. Now, is that copying? Maybe. But, if you master a style well enough to teach it - I think adopting some ideas as your own is bound to happen.

All I am saying is that Randy's overall influence on young guitarists will be strong long after EVH, for many reasons, most of which are pure opinion on my part.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:I didn't know Lynch was influenced by Van Halen :?
George own words: "Eddie was the King and Randy was close second."
Weird, where did you read that?
GFPM april 1992:

GL: "When Randy was doing his local gig with Quiet Riot, I was in a band involved in the local scene at the same time. Van Halen was the biggest; Eddie was the king, Randy was number two, and then there were guys like me and the other guys, who were bringing upt the rear. I saw Randy progress tremendously when he joined Ozzy. To be quite honest, he wasn't my favorite player when he was on the local scene. We did a lot of gigs together and when he got into Ozzy, he went through a transformation...... "
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
The Flying Dutchman

Randy Magic wrote:I know I was a bit hard on EVH, but I stand by my position that Randy was, by far, a better player with broader influence. Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG FAN of early VH, mainly because of EVH...I still think Randy has influenced more seasoned guitarists than EVH.
Hey Magic,
I do not agree with that. But that's oke. That's what I like about this place, everybody can express their opinion without being hunted by Nazi jackboots. (thanks X, borrowed it from you :lol: )
Hope to hear more stories from you about the early Randy. :twisted:
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote: George own words: "Eddie was the King and Randy was close second."
Weird, where did you read that?
GFPM april 1992:

GL: "When Randy was doing his local gig with Quiet Riot, I was in a band involved in the local scene at the same time. Van Halen was the biggest; Eddie was the king, Randy was number two, and then there were guys like me and the other guys, who were bringing upt the rear. I saw Randy progress tremendously when he joined Ozzy. To be quite honest, he wasn't my favorite player when he was on the local scene. We did a lot of gigs together and when he got into Ozzy, he went through a transformation...... "
That looks more like it describes the situation on the music scene
at the time. Just read the line after the one you highlighted.
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

Hey Magic,
I do not agree with that. But that's oke. That's what I like about this place, everybody can express their opinion without being hunted by
Exactly.

I wonder if Kevin will eventually make it over here, he likes a good debate :wink:
The Flying Dutchman

Stiltzkin wrote:That looks more like it describes the situation on the music scene at the time. Just read the line after the one you highlighted.
You very right! 8)

Stiltzkin wrote:I have videos with George saying that he got his technique strictly from trying to imitate Jimi Hendrix.
I hear a lot more Ed in his playing than Hendrix. :?
The Flying Dutchman

Randy Magic wrote: I wonder if Kevin will eventually make it over here, he likes a good debate :wink:
I think this place would be more a challenge to him for sure. He is more than welcome!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Flying Dutchman wrote:I hear a lot more Ed in his playing than Hendrix. :?
He could've picked up something from Eddie though.
I still think Eddie and Randy sounds a little similar
from time to time ;)
The Flying Dutchman

Stiltzkin wrote:
from time to time ;)
And I heard once that George said that Randy got the tapping part in Flying High from him. (can't remember where I read it, but I read it somewhere) That's not unlikely because George used a simular pattern in the "Tooth and Nail" solo. And that part is very much in style of EVH with that sliding upward index finger while tapping, Ed used that trick also.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
from time to time ;)
And I heard once that George said that Randy got the tapping part in Flying High from him. (can't remember where I read it, but I read it somewhere) That's not unlikely because George used a simular pattern in the "Tooth and Nail" solo. And that part is very much in style of EVH with that sliding upward index finger while tapping, Ed used that trick also.
and I've read that Lynch got parts on Mr. Scary from the mainriff
in Crazy Train, so it's looks like an even trade :D
The Flying Dutchman

Stiltzkin wrote:and I've read that Lynch got parts on Mr. Scary from the mainriff in Crazy Train, so it's looks like an even trade :D
Yeah I read that too. It's only the starting riff where I can hear a little bit Crazy Train in it, if George didn't tell I wouldn't even recognize it. "Beast from the East" was a great album. Like Randy I like George live a lot better.
Did you ever hear that Dokken dvd with Reb Beach? He did a great job in Dokken as well! Really ripping! I wish he got more room in Whitesnake.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Flying Dutchman wrote:Did you ever hear that Dokken dvd with Reb Beach?
it has a place in my musicvideo shelf :D
I burned it myself though 8)