Randy-related magazines

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

stealaway
Mass Poster

Randy-related magazines

Post by stealaway »

Hi guys! I dug up some of Randy-related magazines.
I plan to scan at least some of them. Anyone need any particular article?
Attachments
IMG_20201020_122004.jpg
IMG_20201020_122012.jpg
Mikel
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Randy-related magazines

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Nice collection i've got most of those...I've not seen much of Randy in guitar mags in the last couple of years.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

True. I think Randy's not been on any magazines lately...
Maybe he will get a feature in 2022...
I was thinking how weird it is, like how much more material we have from early Motörhead for example. Bootlegs, videos etc.
Whereas no gigs on video with Ozzy, even if he was quite popular from early on. Not sure if that's weird, but ..
Just thought about when my friends used to ask about Randy-videos in early 1990s. "INo, I don't have any full gigs on video.." Well, you know what I mean.
Mikel
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

You know, I kind of feel like the small population of us on here are in what amounts to a religious cult. There are very few of us left that love and "get" what Randy was all about; that understand his genius and what he was becoming. Alas, the world only judges based on what was and not what was meant to be.

Wishful thinking has me looking back and wondering if Randy had lived, gotten his smoking under control, and had a long future ahead - what his parallel career against Eddie Van Halen's would've looked like:

One who was a teacher, had an insatiable thirst for learning, was branching out into other genres of music, was mostly sober, and genuinely a humble and good person...against someone else who was brilliant in his own right, but was mostly inebriated during the prime of his career, secretive about what he did and unwilling to share, by all accounts not always a nice person, and didn't materially do anything THAT different from his first to his last recording.

I wonder, in the long run, who's genius would've shone brighter - and who would've been considered a more complete and all around better player. I think all of you, as members of the Cult of RR, would come to the same conclusion as myself. It's just a shame, and one of life's twisted ironies, that Randy never got the chance to truly prove and acquit himself as truly unique and one-of-a-kind in the world's eyes.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:roll: Yes, you're probaply right. I kinda used to think that there were lot more of Randy Rhoads-fans. Maybe there were...
One would think that with all this time passed, Randy would have gained lot more fans. But maybe the fact that he died so young, means that his popularity is also limited.
Today's kids may find other artists easier. Jimi Hendrix has been gone for 50 years, but he had a big status already before he died, so he's kinda made for "immortality"...
Also the fact that there is so limited amount of material available. We don't have a single full-lenght gig on video, not prooer interviews etc. With Jimi, we have a lot more, even if he died in 1970 already...
Mikel
Rhoadsfan266

Post by Rhoadsfan266 »

Here are a few
Attachments
Here are a few
Here are a few
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

That's a very nice collection!!! :)
Mikel
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Anyone seen photos from the Original Randy Rhoads-book elsewhere? Those are some fine photos from the 1989 British Tour. I'd love to see colour versions of the black and white ones!!!
Attachments
IMG_20201024_133926__01.jpg
IMG_20201024_133855__01.jpg
IMG_20201024_133821__01.jpg
IMG_20201024_133804__01.jpg
IMG_20201024_133840.jpg
IMG_20201024_133719.jpg
IMG_20201024_133709.jpg
Mikel
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Have a look in the photo credits i can do a better search if i know who took the photos. It can only be a hand full of UK photographers Fin Costello, Paul Cox, Ross Halfin, Robert Ellis. Unless it is a Japanese photographer.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I think photographers are Paul Natkin and Fin Costello.
Mikel