Randy's Onstage Personality

Talk about Quiet Riot with Randy here

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rockermel
Cool Member

Randy's Onstage Personality

Post by rockermel »

Is it just me or did Randy seem like he had so much fun performing
w/QR? The few videos I have seen of him,he was having a blast..
smiling a lot & of course the joking around in "Picking Up The
Pieces" vid..LOL.We don't have a lot of footage of him & Ozzy tho..
of course Randy was a little younger then~maybe it was just the
kid in him.Anyway,I just wanted to voice my opinion in this subject.
He sure seemed like a "riot" to be around & hang out with..
goodbye to all the best
I guess that we'll meet
we'll meet in the end
[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Melly66/1294-oz-blizzard-ran-0000.jpg[/img]
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I hadn't thought about this before Mel, He did seem to be smiling alot more when he was with QR.
I think Frank might be able to add something to this thread, Frank was at most os those shows and spending time with Randy off stage as well. :)

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I have seen a couple full Quiet Riot shows on video and Randy definitely seems to enjoy every minute of performing. I'd say it has to do with being in his own band that he formed with his friends as opposed to being a hired gun with Ozzy.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i didn't get to see him with ozzy (damn) but i begin to wonder if the pressures and unhappiness began to wear him down and it became apparent onstage. any thoughts?
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

frank wrote:i didn't get to see him with ozzy (damn) but i begin to wonder if the pressures and unhappiness began to wear him down and it became apparent onstage. any thoughts?
I think to hear in his '82 playing that he wasn't inspired that much any more. Some occasionally good shows though but I think his '81 playing had a lot more fire. Better sound too.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
frank wrote:i didn't get to see him with ozzy (damn) but i begin to wonder if the pressures and unhappiness began to wear him down and it became apparent onstage. any thoughts?
I think to hear in his '82 playing that he wasn't inspired that much any more. Some occasionally good shows though but I think his '81 playing had a lot more fire. Better sound too.
Randy was quite stuck on stage in my opinion. I remember being toldy Rudy Sarzo had one step in which he could move. I mean, how the hell are you supposed to interact with the crowd when you can move one step only. I remember on quiet riot shows, randy running across the stage and stuff. If he couldnt do such a thing with Ozzy, no wonder his on stage personality with ozzy was slightly weaker and more boring. but i dont know, i sadly never got to see him :(
bigduke6
Madman

Post by bigduke6 »

was not boring
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Jake_E_Lee wrote:Randy was quite stuck on stage in my opinion. I remember being toldy Rudy Sarzo had one step in which he could move. I mean, how the hell are you supposed to interact with the crowd when you can move one step only. I remember on quiet riot shows, randy running across the stage and stuff. If he couldnt do such a thing with Ozzy, no wonder his on stage personality with ozzy was slightly weaker and more boring. but i dont know, i sadly never got to see him :(

Here Randy seems to be able to move as he pleases, (here as well) after watching the Quiet Riot shows again and watching the Diary tour footage, I'd have to say that Randy moved a lot less because the stage was a LOT bigger and Randy didn't use a wireless system, so he was anchored by his cord.

Here the stage isn't quite as big, and while Randy doesn't run across the stage, he does a fair amount of moving.
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

When I seen them with the castle it was so theatrical they seem to have stations ares on the satge he did move around ..it was great very mid evil
LoVe Life
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

He did seem happier performing with QR, but he also looked to enjoy the Ozzy shows too, maybe not as much as the QR shows due to being on the road constantly and being a bit drained maybe. Who knows, but either way he kicked major ass always!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i think in the john stix interview randy talks about how ozzy taught him stage craft and how you dont have to run about all the time, sometimes not moving is a bigger statement or something like that
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I totally agree that the Flying Hard Rocking Classic V man RHOADS was always had joyful beam about him not only in the Classic Quiet Riot & the Classic Ozzy eras but just about everything he participated in all inbetween he'd definately shined! Yet, I do have to admit he had a more jovialness/playfulness about him while in Quiet Riot and when in Ozzy Osboure band he had a more grittiness (laced w/a nasty bite) about him as his musicianship grow. :twisted:
The legendary Randy Rhoads is an electric "Crazy Train" Guitarist/Musician to the max!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

rice_pudding wrote:i think in the john stix interview randy talks about how ozzy taught him stage craft and how you dont have to run about all the time, sometimes not moving is a bigger statement or something like that
I remember reading that too. Honestly, I don't like too much stage acrobatics. Just play, thanks! LOL, I'm more from the Tony Iommi school of stage performance. Less is more. I don't like seeing guitarists flying around, doing the splits and like...river dancing around.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

say what you will, randy was dynamic and he had an incredible stage presence. i liked his moves.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

ultimately i never saw randy live so i cant be a judge on how his stage presence changed but i realy liked what i saw in the picking up the pieces video some of his moves were just so unique + he pulled them off with elegance.