Sup + BQs

A place to say hello and introduce yourself.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

makot0t0

Sup + BQs

Post by makot0t0 »

Hi fellas.

Got nothing much to say really, just registered to ask some question about the Jackson Rhoads model.

BQ1: How is the Jackson RR5? I'm quite interested in that, so I'd like some reviews about it (Is it any good for drop tuning metal?)

BQ2: I know that the RR5 has 22 frets, however, I am interested in replacing the neck with a 24 fret one, is it possible? I preferably not get the RR24, because it has only one pickup (EMG 81, and I don't need another guitar with EMG). So, what about this one?

Thanks guys :)
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Welcome aboard! 8)
I'm sure someone here can help you out!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Welcome to ur, I am sure if you ask your question in the general section one of the members here will be able to answer any quieries you have.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sup + BQs

Post by skezza »

makot0t0 wrote:Hi fellas.

Got nothing much to say really, just registered to ask some question about the Jackson Rhoads model.

BQ1: How is the Jackson RR5? I'm quite interested in that, so I'd like some reviews about it (Is it any good for drop tuning metal?)
Well, I guess it is a subjective personal opinion. I only tried one, and it played poorly, but I'm pretty sure set up properly, it would have played better. Sadly, the guys in the shop selling it are a bit like the blokes who work in Burger King, so they ain't really got a scooby about setting up guitars.

BQ2: I know that the RR5 has 22 frets, however, I am interested in replacing the neck with a 24 fret one, is it possible? I preferably not get the RR24, because it has only one pickup (EMG 81, and I don't need another guitar with EMG). So, what about this one?

No, it isn't possible I'm afraid. It won't intonate properly. You might get away with it, if the 24th fret was an overhang, but I'm pretty certain it isn't, which means 99% of times it wouldn't intonate properly.

You would actually need to move the bridge physically forward to achieve the correct intonation.
makot0t0

Re: Sup + BQs

Post by makot0t0 »

skezza wrote:
makot0t0 wrote:Hi fellas.

Well, I guess it is a subjective personal opinion. I only tried one, and it played poorly, but I'm pretty sure set up properly, it would have played better. Sadly, the guys in the shop selling it are a bit like the blokes who work in Burger King, so they ain't really got a scooby about setting up guitars.

No, it isn't possible I'm afraid. It won't intonate properly. You might get away with it, if the 24th fret was an overhang, but I'm pretty certain it isn't, which means 99% of times it wouldn't intonate properly.

You would actually need to move the bridge physically forward to achieve the correct intonation.
Actually, I kinda doubt the part where you said about 24 frets not being possible because of intonation, because both the RR5 and the RR24 are 25.5" scale length... That made me even more curious.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

But the bridges are positioned differently. Scale length is important, but the bridge is positioned in a different place on the body.