Cheers to all!

A place to say hello and introduce yourself.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRfish
Madman

Cheers to all!

Post by RRfish »

Just wanted to introduce myself. I grew up with Randy and Drew. We all went to John Muir Junior High School, and Burbank High School together. I have been reading your board posts for the last couple of months. I am so pleased and grateful to see so many people who are interested in Randy's life. I for one will never forget him! Truly a talented artist as well as a interesting individual. I still can not believe it has been almost 30 years. I only hope that one day all of the video footage from the very beginnings of his career will be released one day. A truly remarkable person deserves that much. Anyway cheers to all! RRfish
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Welocome to UR, we all here love the music and the person that RR really was. I feel that RR is one of the few guitarists who can be described as a true genius, and that is up against some stiff competition.
when did you last see Randy and do you have some stories about your time knowing Randy (the ordinary school kid) in those formative years?

Ian
Last edited by Trigger on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi RR Fish

Before we all mob you with excitement LOL, hello and welcome to Ultimaterhoads!
We would love to hear any stories of Randy. To many of us here I feel the more ordinary the better too.

cheers and once again welcome

Mattx
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Cheers to all!

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

RRfish wrote:I only hope that one day all of the video footage from the very beginnings of his career will be released one day. A truly remarkable person deserves that much. Anyway cheers to all! RRfish
Couldn't agree more!
All aboard! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

welcome to ultimate rhoads
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Hey you Guys, Thanks for the warm welcome! I am glad to be here and see that you all are so excited. I can see that you all truly appreciate the artist he was.
Trigger, the last time I think I spoke to Randy was probably at a party in 1975, and it was a quick hi how you doing. It was at a Halloween party a friend invited me to. Pretty crazy and hectic for them. I don't remember whether Kevin was with them at that time, but I do remember seeing Drew for a few minutes. In fact I don't believe they were called Quiet Riot at the time. But it was a fun time, and everyone there love the band. Quite rowdy actually. The last concerts I went to, I could not even wave hello to him or Drew, because the kid's were wild. One was at a College in Glendale, and it was packed. The last time was at a Whiskey show in 1979. A friend of mine worked there and let two of my friends from work and I pop in. Mass Mania. My friends were probably ten years my senior at that time and were into Country Western. I had to keep convincing them, that the guys were not Gay. At that point the band was really into a Glam Rock mod. It had kind of shocked me a little bit as well, because I was not used to Randy or Drew looking that way. In the past Randy had seemed more subdued while playing, probably even a little awkward or shy. Randy's stage presence had changed considerably by then. He looked to be totally comfortable up there and enjoying every minute of it. I was so sad because we ended up leaving much to early. Prior to those events I remember going up to either Stough Park or Braise Park in Burbank. Probably around 1974. Even at that time they sounded so good. I think they also may have played at McCambridge Park a few times. Probably 1973 or 1974. Burbank had a annual carnival/picnic there. Randy was excetional, he always was.
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Hi Mattx, Thanks to you as well. You know from Junior High until Randy left Burbank High School in 1973, he was a very shy guy. Pretty much kept to himself. He was very polite, but a lot of times hard to make eye contact with. I remember we both had morning classes in the same building and very often we were the first ones to arrive,so we sat outside together until the doors opened. It was not very easy to make conversation with him. He almost seemed sad a lot of the time. I remember thinking maybe he had been on drugs or something, but latter on I realized he just felt different. He was probably my height around 5'4" and slim build, but not as thin as he got in latter years. He at that point was not really involved in many school activities. I think he may have been bullied because he was of small stature and his quietness, but he really didn't look any different to me than anyone else in school. Not the jocks, but many guys had long hair at that time. You would have to understand what growing up in Burbank at that time was like. Everyone knew just about everyone, and everyone knew everyone's business. Very conservative. Seriously, if someone came into town that did not fit, you would find out about it straight away. Almost like you felt you needed to conform to the Burbank mold. Randy was definitely not a conformist. At that age he was still developing a sense of who he was, we all were. I just think he always felt different because he didn't conform. His best friends were probably Kelly Garni, his family, and the love of his life at that time and probably until eternity his Guitar. I think that Guitar brought him comfort and security. He was a sensitive fellow. I am not going to say Randy was a perfect Angel, because I had heard of some of his escapades second hand, but he was never a bad ass as some people would like to believe. Naughty yes, but what boy or man isn't naughty. Mischievous yes, but what boy or man isn't. Let's just say that at that time if my Dad would have found out I had been hanging around with Randy's crew, I would have been grounded for life.
RRfish
Madman

I wish, I wish I wish!

Post by RRfish »

Hey Dutchman and demon, I thank you both for your warm welcome. Dutchman, I know there has to be a lot of video out there somewhere. From 1978 thru 1981 I worked for probably the finest Production, Post Production Video House on the West Coast. We shot everything. And I am sure the smaller houses were doing tons of small jobs. As well, I recall some of Randy's earlier concerts, I had seen family members or friends taking films and/or videos of the band. Probably Glendale College and a park concert. I have no idea why, but I have found myself thinking about Randy a lot in the last month. So I went on to You Tube and started looking at some old footage, probably 1974 through 76. That is how I remember Randy. That brought me to the After Hours Randy footage, and realized that was between 1979 and 1981. The Ozbournes must have had someone taping the concerts between 1980 and 1982. Our house ,when we weren't too busy ,were shooting all types of concerts. And prior to my boss starting that company, all of our cameramen were shooting concerts freelance. That would be 1970 through 77. The Osbourne's had more money than some of these smaller bands had at the time. There has to be better concert footage out there than what is put up on Youtube. I thinkith the all mighty buck stricks again! Ozzy and Sharon are to egotistical to not have tape/filmed these tours. Sorry that's the way it is!
I recently went on line to see how the documentary is progressing. Come to find out that it probably will not be completed until at the earliest 2010, because Peter needs to get more releases. So, probably no news to you guys, I decide to investigate and listen to an interview with Kelli Rhoads at www.fullmetalrock.com. I think it was a March 2009 date on that interview.
Peter has to get a release from the Osbourne's to use Randy's music for period pieces in the documentary? The Osbourne's have the rights to Randy's music! Unnerving to say the least, I start seeing these promos for an Ozzy Film or Doc to be released in 2010. Maybe you guys are to young to remember the record industry back in the day! But to me it's an inherited trait, Arden's strike again! I honestly do not believe that the stalling of Randy's documentary has anything to do with his Mama wanting to make Randy out to be an Angel or a Saint. I also believe there is earlier footage out there that someone does not want the Arden's (Osbourne's) to get their grubby hands on, and get rights to that as well. Hate to say that but that's how I feel. Last week I started thinking about Kevin. I did not know him personally, but I do know as a performer he was egotistical enough to have all of his performances taped or filmed, to look back and see what needed improvement. At that time period it was not uncommon for performers to have someone film or video all of their concerts. It was almost necessary. That film or video footage may very well be with his family now as part of his estate and for them holds so much sentimental family value that they do not want it exploited. I can't say that I blame them. Having to gain the right to use music from an artist who composed the music, for a documentary about that artist! The disgraceful disregard for an artiist's rights by rerecording soundtracks, and not giving credit where credit is due! Nope can't blame them one bit for being fearful of releasing anything.
How disrespectful of the Osbourne's to even consider releasing the Oz film/doc in the same year as Randy's film is to be released. That will definitely be a BOYCOTT for me!

My son now is a DP and gets the heads up for releases on films and Docs. I have expressed to him if he hears of any release regarding Randy's film or screenings to please let me know. His response, as I knew it would be was, "You know when no one backs these docs they go into oblivion, it will be screened, maybe played in a few theatres, then gone off the face of the planet". I am very afraid this may be the case, especially with the new Osbourne doc/film coming out close to the same time.

After thought's, I wish, I wish ,I wish!! That I had not been so busy in my own life and career to not have taken full advantage of the video and audio equipment and talent that would have given future musicians an insight into what a wonderfully unique talent that was Randy. But that is a after thought!

Not seeing the beginning's of Randy's career on tape, definitely feel sad about it, because I would love to see the face I remember when I listen to him play his Guitar.
It is not often in life that we are touched by such a creative and sensitive soul. And it almost seems that within seconds that person is gone. Every time you think of the one you once knew, something touches you and makes you feel totally inspired and renewed. Maybe this is how Delores has been able to deal with such a great loss in her life.
If you think I am being insincere, you have never felt his music or met anyone like him.
Honestly Randy was a truly remarkable talent, and a truly remarkable soul!

Thanks guys, I just feel very passionate about what has gone since he has passed.
RRfish out!
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Hello,
Welcome to the site. It is always nice to have people who knew Randy join up. It is sad to see Peters documentary keep getting pushed back. I think you're right when you say, Sharon was very tactical in her decision to release Ozzys documentary around the same time as Randy. It is sad to see her shameful ungratefulness, especially after Randys input into Ozzys career.

Joe
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Thanks Joe,
Remember always, Randy's "MAJOR" input!, among others, who created a revival for Ozzie's non-existent career!. It always surprises me how ungrateful some can be when it comes to money! And I am totally amazed at how much people forget. I guess people have to listen to the pre-Ozzy recordings of Randy's , to understand how Randy's previous compositions contributed to the rise of Ozz. Ozz was so neurotic between 1980 and 1982, (and from what I have seen, much prior to that),with his silly pro mos for the concerts.
Ozzy " Anyone pregnant, anyone who is even slightly emotionally unstable should not attend this concert, and we take no responsibility for their outcome."
It was too ridiculous. It totatily turned me off. That was Alice Cooper stuff, been there done that. Even Alice Cooper wasn't that tacky. From what I understand Randy felt that way to. I don't care what anyone thinks, but there is no way in hell that Ozzie even wrote lyrics to the songs during Randy's time with him.
I remember thinking to myself at that time, " What has Randy gotten himself into ?" And when they were here in L.A., even though I could have gotten front row seats ,I did not go. Silly as it may seem, I didn't want to promote the Ozzie money train. However, within a few months I would regret that decision. Randy was gone.
I have to be honest when I say this, from all that I do know, Kelly Garni was his best friend beside, his family and his guitar. Why this happened to such a talented, gifted, and whole spirit, I will never know. Randy was Randy, because of the Mother who loved and raised him, and the brother and sister who loved him. Sometimes I think people want to hear fictional stories about someone other then the truth, because it is more interesting. Randy was really a sensitive and talented soul, faults and silly like anyone else sure!
Why we all have lost him............"Don't Ask Me, I Don't Know!"
RRfish
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thanks RRfish for all the inside! 8)

About holding footage and other stuff, if the Rhoads fam gives 'green' light to the Osbournes we gonna see a lot more stuff. $haron once said that they were sitting on 'tons of stuff' they can't use....... We recently got confirmed that a '81 Blizzard show has been filmed pro shot. The "there is no footage' theory never made any sense to me. :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
RRfish
Madman

"Randy's Compositions and Video footage"

Post by RRfish »

Dutchman, what you say may well be, as long as Sharon gets her cut of it, and a big cut at that. Sharon speaks from both sides of her mouth. If you go back and listen to all of the sound bites of Sharon's', Ozzie's, Randy, interviews, etc., you will see what I mean. I had to laugh when watching the Japanese documentary. In it Ozzy states he and his ex-wife came up with the song "Good Bye To Romance.". Not many people go back and listen to Randy's earlier music pre Ozz, to see clearly that most of that song was composed by Randy years before Ozz entered his life. Has he no shame! Supposedly the first person who came into his life, to give him hope in his life, and he makes those types of statements! I only wish a conscience would shine thru, but then again there are some people in our world that don't have one. It may well be that we will have to wait until the Oz and Sharon have left our world, and their children will be the one's to show some conscience. The Rhoads family are very creative and lovely people. They are all artists in their own right. I think the only reasons they may hold back would be the exploitative nature of the film and music industry. They do not want the person they knew, and loved exploited to no end. I don't blame them. They have clearly seen enough of that since his passing. A lot by the hands of people Randy trusted and thought to be his friends, Sharon and Ozzie. The really sad thing to me right now, is thinking of the possibility that Delores may never see the completed project. I know how much you all want it out there, but to think of that strong Mama who has worked tirelessly over these years to bring this out, never to see it, hurts me immensely. Do you really believe that the Osbourne's have been concerned with that aspect over the duration of this project? When only recently Peter has been able to get releases from them for the period piece music? "I DON'T THINK SO!"
I am not being hateful by saying this, it's just that facts, are facts, and Sharon has always been a great Double Talker. That's her job!
It would be a wonderful world if everyone was upfront and honest, but that's not the way it is.
I am sorry for the written diarrhea, but it is very aggravating to see people take advantage of a one of kind talent ,the likes, yes probably we will see again one day, but Randy was the total package. Oz and Sharon knew this ,and even after his death, took full advantage of it, claiming many of his works to be Ozzy's. Disgusting in my mind and I'm sure to a lot of other people.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi RR Fish

The above has been such a gerat read I will miss my bus to work if I don't make this short LOL

That was a fascinating inight into Burbank life, RR and also the politics of the Osbournes!

Cheers my amigo

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
RRfish
Madman

Post by RRfish »

Thanks Matt,

There is a very interesting interview/article from Tim Burton "Nightmare Before Christmas" which describes growing up in Burbank to a "T" at that time. If RR was still around he probably would have done the same type of interview. Tim graduated from Burbank High two years behind Randy and I. I will try to find it to give RR's fans some insight.