RR and EVH: Maybe A Bit Overrated?

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

kamalayka
Cool Member

RR and EVH: Maybe A Bit Overrated?

Post by kamalayka »

Yes, to a teenager in 1980, they both would have sounded "cool" playing relatively proficient lead guitar with so much distortion.

But as cool as they sounded, aren't their technical abilities a bit overrated? Or am I wrong?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UGNBMNeytZU

If Al Di Meola had used more distortion at 4:05, he'd sound "cool" too. And if you take away the distortion from a RR or EVH solo, it doesn't really sound so great.

This is just my opinion. I still think RR and EVH are amazing-sounding in a rock guitar context, but take away the distortion and tricks, and they're not quite so hot.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: RR and EVH: Maybe A Bit Overrated?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

kamalayka wrote:But as cool as they sounded, aren't their technical abilities a bit overrated? Or am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong.

Ed and Randy did things others couldn't at the time. They impressed and astounded professional guitar players at the time.

To those who weren't around to experience these guys first hand, it is difficult to understand what they brought to the table. Today the bar is higher because of what they did.

As for Di Meola, he's a jazz player which is a totally different genre. It's a matter of taste. Jazz guys will always claim to be better than rock guys, just like metal guys will laugh at pop or country guys. All have talent, but opinions determine who is "better".

If you were to listen to Randy's lesson tapes you hear abilities far beyond what was displayed with Quiet Riot or Ozzy. Talk to former students and they would tell you Randy could play Di Meola's Mediterranean Sundance note for note in 1977.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Di Meola is great, no doubt, but this apples & oranges, EVH & RR laid out the ground and inspired literally thousands of us to pick up the guitar and play..Groundbreaking, innovative players is what EVH & RR are and were and their musically contributions stand up to any of today's most accomplished players..As Paul mentioned, Di Meola, as great as he is (legato phrases, blazing speed, arpeggios, etc) plays a completely different kind of music...Shoot, look at some of Stanley Jordan with his two hand technique, very cool, but not appealing to my taste...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

devorerd wrote:very cool, but not appealing to my taste...
Exactly...