Van Halen admits to listening to Crazy train

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

devorerd
Cool Member

Van Halen admits to listening to Crazy train

Post by devorerd »

So there it is...EVH did track Randy as we all heard about in the 70's during they bar scene (i.e..that EVH and DLR use to attend their shows)...at least that is how I take his comment on "Crazy train"

http://www.vhnd.com/2015/06/19/eddie-va ... bandmates/
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Van Halen admits to listening to Crazy train

Post by orion_damage »

devorerd wrote:So there it is...EVH did track Randy as we all heard about in the 70's during they bar scene (i.e..that EVH and DLR use to attend their shows)...at least that is how I take his comment on "Crazy train"

http://www.vhnd.com/2015/06/19/eddie-va ... bandmates/
I wonder how much of that interview is Eddie talking out his butt? I guess it could be all true though.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Lol I predict the Van Halen tour will go up in smoke once Roth hears and then reads that interview. Eddie needs to learn when to shut up, if everyone said what they thought then Ed would never want to work with anyone again.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

They can only work together, because no one wants to work with Eddie and no one can tolerate Roth....Common in Rock n Roll..Aerosmith, the Stones, etc..
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

eddie has a serious case of trying to over blow his legacy.the man was a true innovator,but to say idiotic things like he doesnt listen to music at all?enjoy what you created edward and stop beating a dead horse.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Ed is a raging asshole; you don't need to read it in an interview to prove it.

I'll never spite the man his huge talent and skill set, but he's literally of no consequence these days, and he's ridden the nostalgia train for all it's worth. Hopefully for his sake he can patch things up with DLR. Whether they want to admit it or not, they need each other. That's the lineup of the band people want to see.

Ed's also being either deliberately coy on his remarks about not listening to other music, or he's actually that far up his own ass; I find it hard to believe that someone who's a musician wouldn't listen to at least SOME of what's out there currently. Pleading ignorance like this makes his look like an idiot, actually.

Whatever, though. Ed's relevance to music ended a long, long time ago, and while its unmistakeable that he made a huge impact on rock in his heyday, you don't exactly hear other artists praising him in the press or busting down the door to work with him, do you? I think that's very telling. It's also very telling that Ed throws pretty much everyone he can think of under the bus in this interview.

He's a cranky old guy who just needs to shut his pie hole. Until he actually has something relevant to say, musically or otherwise, I could give two shits what he has to say. This interview kind of seals that for me. I won't be bothering to read his butthurt comment about anything again.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

+10000
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I love Van Halen but I will say that their latest album "A Different Kind of Truth" was pretty bad. Bad as in I'm thankful I downloaded it and didn't waste my money on it. A simple delete took care of that.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

He appears to know only one Ozzy Osbourne song Randy Rhoads played on, and it’s “Crazy Train.”
Ed followed Randy's career on the Strip and with Ozzy? That sentence tells me he heard Crazy Train and knew Randy played on it.

As for Ed being an ass, he comes across as an ass in print, but who knows how it was said compared to how it was edited. Is he a bit eccentric? Yeah, I believe he is. Does he have an elevated sense of self-importance? Definitely. I love the statement in the Smithsonian video where he says Tab was created because his guitar playing couldn't be notated in standard notation... I've got a guitar book with tab in it from 1974 Ed, and no mention of you... hmmm how is that possible?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:
He appears to know only one Ozzy Osbourne song Randy Rhoads played on, and it’s “Crazy Train.”
Ed followed Randy's career on the Strip and with Ozzy? That sentence tells me he heard Crazy Train and knew Randy played on it.

As for Ed being an ass, he comes across as an ass in print, but who knows how it was said compared to how it was edited. Is he a bit eccentric? Yeah, I believe he is. Does he have an elevated sense of self-importance? Definitely. I love the statement in the Smithsonian video where he says Tab was created because his guitar playing couldn't be notated in standard notation... I've got a guitar book with tab in it from 1974 Ed, and no mention of you... hmmm how is that possible?
I don't think he was edited or misquoted, Paul. Even if the comments were taken out of context, he doesn't mince words and manages to directly insult and sling mud at a ton of people in this interview.

Some things you can take out of context and they have sound worse than they actually are, but in reading this, it seems there's only one way to take what he's saying.

And I guarantee he heard "Crazy Train". If he didn't hear it back when it was released, you can bet he's heard it since. The real irony is that song has elevated Randy, in death, above Ed, in how many people know it and recognize it instantly. Randy's chords and playing have become pop culture touchstones. Ed's got some great songs, but not everyone instantly recognizes Van Halen material. Maybe the older generation, like us, but not a wide cross section of fans, young and old, recognize Ed's music instantly. "Crazy Train" has become part of the pop culture landscape, and young and old fans alike know it.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'm sorry but I'm with Paul here.
I think you're reading too much from that comment.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Stiltzkin wrote:I'm sorry but I'm with Paul here.
I think you're reading too much from that comment.
Perhaps. The real take-away here is that Ed is a bitter, bitter man, though.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:The real take-away here is that Ed is a bitter, bitter man, though.
I like this one - he had to teach Michael Anthony how to play all of the songs prior to going on tour... He'd probably claim to have taught Alex all of the drum parts, too, but then Alex would kick his ass.

It's sad that Ed is so worried about becoming irrelevant that he's destroying any positive legacy he had left by talking.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:The real take-away here is that Ed is a bitter, bitter man, though.
I like this one - he had to teach Michael Anthony how to play all of the songs prior to going on tour... He'd probably claim to have taught Alex all of the drum parts, too, but then Alex would kick his ass.

It's sad that Ed is so worried about becoming irrelevant that he's destroying any positive legacy he had left by talking.

True, everyone I have talked to though who is not a musician and just listens to music has no idea how much of a ass he is. When I tell people they are always surprised, they only know what they have heard on the local mainstream of how he is a guitar god.

I don't think his legacy is hurt at all to the greater masses as they have no idea how he really is.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Glad this sparked such interest....Have to disagree with Paul, Ed followed Randy and surely heard his tunes with Ozzy, otherwise why would he say in other interviews, that "he never did anything that I didn't already do"..You can't make that statement without listening to the body of work. Seems like Ed was pretty pissed the day of the interview, I'm really surprised his wife Janie, didn't try and squash some of the comments before they made it to print. Kudos to the journalist who was able to grab this stuff, he did a great job!