yngwe malmsteen is larrge and sloppy -on that metal show

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yngwe malmsteen is larrge and sloppy -on that metal show

Post by skezza »

oth wrote:vai sounds pointless...he can play great but he doesnt make a statement...he's a guitar clinic to me.
I think part of the problem is that following Yngwie was always going to be a difficult task, and while Vai is stunning in his own right, Yngwie has a sort of natural flair that is very difficult to replicate. Even Michael Angelo Batio who is robotic in his speed and technique doesn't seem to be quite as stunning as Yngwie.

No surprise Yngwie has lost it a bit though. I saw him live and while I thought he was excellent, I know he's on the way down. He's started to muddy up his tone a lot as well which is disappointing.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Stiltzkin wrote:
skezza wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Yngwie sounds great in that clip of Hiroshima Mon Amour?
Nope, very much prefer Yngwie here, Yngwie plays with fire and passion. Steve doesn't.... (IMO)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

oth wrote:since this forum is kinda slow,i am posting this here....

ok ,ickwe malmsteen was on tms and as always, very entertaining-unintentionally of course!
he was pimping his line of guitar strings,straps and other stuff that will make you play faster etc apparently.

what i found funny on tms,was how everyone watching him play,were in awe of his playing...tms has had way better players and they dont get this reaction.
I havent seen icky whatever play in a long time and he sounds sort of fast but extremely sloppy with lots of crappy distortion and palm muting to hide his non existant picking....he also seems to only be able to do his fast runs when descending...he does mostly pull offs not pick -thats why his ascending runs are very brief...he may sound fast if you are watching his comical facial expressions and posing but he isnt really...basically he looks faster than he sounds.

Did ingwe get crappy over the years or was he always like this?or are new players just that much better than him?john 5,gilbert and all these other cats blow him away-its no contest.

Nonetheless,icky is verbally and physically very entertaining to watch and listen to.
But Yngwie invented his own style.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
skezza wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Yngwie sounds great in that clip of Hiroshima Mon Amour?
Nope, very much prefer Yngwie here, Yngwie plays with fire and passion. Steve doesn't.... (IMO)
Funny, considering what you wrote I don't even know what "fire and passion" means. I think anyone that is willing to practice 12 hours a day has fire and passion. You might not like Steve's style but I fire and passion is not one thing I would say he lacks.

Some of Steve's stuff is really great. Other stuff not so much. But that seems to go with just about any artist. There are things that Randy has done that I don't care for. Most of it was in QR though. Anyway carry on.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

The idea of playing "with passion" came from the romantic era. Back then performers wanted to evoke emotion the audience, not in themselves.