George Lynch interview about auditioning for Ozzy

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fortress
Madman

George Lynch interview about auditioning for Ozzy

Post by fortress »

On not getting the gig as a guitarist in Ozzy Osbourne's band in the early '80s:

Lynch: "Initially, the one negative I heard from their camp was that Sharon thought my guitar looked like a booger. I had this green and black Tiger, actually the first Tiger I had made before I made my yellow-and-black one and I thought it was a pretty silly reason. Also, Ozzy came into my hotel room at one point and he said, 'Why did you cut your hair?' He was really bummed that I had short hair. I was actually doing a day gig as a liquor delivery driver and I couldn't have long hair, so I had to cut my hair. I could've bought a wig but he was bald at the time, so his argument didn't carry a lot of weight with me. So there were those two things. Yeah, I think it was image for them. I had the songs down and I felt confident that I could play everything like I needed to, especially once I got comfortable. I think really the linchpin, no pun intended, in me not getting the gig was [drummer] Tommy Aldridge's opinion of me, and I think he was right about this — he thought I was this kind of animal that really needed to be in my own band, that I'm not one of these guys fits into anyone else's project very easily. He is right about that; I've never played in a cover band or under anybody else's rules..."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/george ... cy9yXmm.99
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Re: George Lynch interview about auditioning for Ozzy

Post by mojopin70 »

fortress wrote:On not getting the gig as a guitarist in Ozzy Osbourne's band in the early '80s:

Lynch: "Initially, the one negative I heard from their camp was that Sharon thought my guitar looked like a booger. I had this green and black Tiger, actually the first Tiger I had made before I made my yellow-and-black one and I thought it was a pretty silly reason. Also, Ozzy came into my hotel room at one point and he said, 'Why did you cut your hair?' He was really bummed that I had short hair. I was actually doing a day gig as a liquor delivery driver and I couldn't have long hair, so I had to cut my hair. I could've bought a wig but he was bald at the time, so his argument didn't carry a lot of weight with me. So there were those two things. Yeah, I think it was image for them. I had the songs down and I felt confident that I could play everything like I needed to, especially once I got comfortable. I think really the linchpin, no pun intended, in me not getting the gig was [drummer] Tommy Aldridge's opinion of me, and I think he was right about this — he thought I was this kind of animal that really needed to be in my own band, that I'm not one of these guys fits into anyone else's project very easily. He is right about that; I've never played in a cover band or under anybody else's rules..."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/george ... cy9yXmm.99

Yeah at least two of those things wouldve gone against Lynch back then his " short hair" which was a big no no in the hair metal days and not in the tradition of the guitar god image.Plus if Sharon didnt like something and took the piss out of it , that wouldnt have been a good sign either like " booger guitar" .

Saying that Randy had a polka dot flying v guitar!!! .But i think his imagine and playing were so good that he couldve turned up on stage with a banana shaped guitar and they wouldve said nothing.

I remember seeing Lynch`s guitar in the 80s somewhere and it was covered in skulls and was a weird shape....he had the image then though and long hair again and great playing ...well Don Dokken didnt mind it at least.....I think it was on the " dream warriors" nightmare on elm street video.Lynch looks the part very cool but the guitar design was shite.

Lynch is a bit bald today long hair and going bald doesnt work.I didnt realise how many rock stars wore wigs either until i read Bob`s book......

Oh ive just remembered something i heard years and years ago about Don Dokken .Apparently he went back into the studio after Lynch had recorded his guitar solos and removed them?
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

Here's George Lynch playing in 1979:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icSjtQlhjMY

I think it would have been cool to hear his playing with Ozzy's voice.
ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill »

Why the rock singers like long hair? They just like stupid men's wigs.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:Plus if Sharon didnt like something and took the piss out of it , that wouldnt have been a good sign either like " booger guitar" .

Saying that Randy had a polka dot flying v guitar!!! .But i think his imagine and playing were so good that he couldve turned up on stage with a banana shaped guitar and they wouldve said nothing.
$haron did tell Randy to lose the polka dot waist coat, she even went out and bought some really bad taste silver trousers and other items which made him look a complete tit. Thank fuck he never wore them on stage. He did wear the waist coat earlier on. But then started wearing a black vest/waistcoat. I never really liked the polka dot theme it was ok on the guitar, but his bow ties and general clown like appearance did nothing for his image as a rock guitarist.