This could be true.

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

This could be true.

Post by mojopin70 »

I clicked on the link someone posted about Klein waffling on about his book and the part where Randy had four encounters with EVH that he knew of.

Anyway the part i found most interesting is the part where Randy goes to a record store and buys classical records and sees EVH buying Diary of a Madman.Apparently the story was told by Randy himself.

Klein :Finally, when Randy was home on break from the Ozzy tour, he decided to drive to his local music store to buy some classical albums. Randy said that when he walked into the record store, Eddie Van Halen was standing on line at the register purchasing the Diary of a Madman album. Imagine that scene. Can you imagine walking into a record store on any given day and seeing both Eddie and Randy in there at the same time?

This a few people were saying here that they found hard to believe.Actually it could well be true because i met a bloke who told me he met Randy in a record store buying classical records in 1981.

This is what he said :I was just hanging out in the bookstore, not really finding anything worth reading, so I went to the music section, and started checking out different rock star bios at that time--Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, people like that--and after about an hour, someone walked up and started thumbing through sheet music. It turned out to be Randy. It was funny, because I thought he was somebody's kid, because he was so small physically, and with all that hair hanging down in a mane, well, you know. My family is a bunch of readers and music lovers, so I had gone to the store with them, and was just really looking for something to buy. I was thinking like, a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, something like that. But when that didn't happen, I went to the music part, and Randy came along afterward. I think I was looking at a history of music in cinema and where it was going in the 20th Century, and once I saw a hand pick up one of Paganini's scores, I looked up and back out of the way. Let it never be said I would get in the way of someone wanting to explore music, you know. When I made my comment about Beethoven, he started right up, slow at first, but willing to talk. And he was a really bright guy, he talked about scores and guitar scales, how Bach was not nearly appreciated enough(You do have to remember this was in 1981.), or at least to Randy he wasn't. He made a comment about Bach and pentatonics on the guitar as a theory, but he didn't like Van Halen doing it. He was a fan of Eddie's, true enough, but he didn't like how Eddie abused Bach's structures on his guitar.

I remember hearing a Randy seminar he really was someone who shared all of his music and his " secrets" where EVH obviously wasnt i think he even used to turn his back on the audience in the early days so people couldnt see him tapping away on the neck of his guitar .

Klein says that when Randy approached Evh and asked how he kept his guitar in tune without locking nuts Van Drunkard said " its a secret" ...what a tool i really hated stupid egos like that when i was a kid learning guitar.

Evh reminds me of this guy at school who thought he was the best and that no one else could finger tap on a guitar like him .

Im not knocking Evh i thought he was great, but i think if Rhoads had lived he wouldve been huge too.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: This could be true.

Post by randy will never die »

I remember hearing a story about randy and Eddie in a record store

IF my memory serves me right their is a few members here that met and talked with randy in a record store.

If you watch interviews of Eddie in his early days he is a bit cocky and he was a bit of an ass. BUT NOW A DAYS EDDIE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY MELLOW

I wonder if Randy and Eddie ever would of worked together
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote: Klein says that when Randy approached Evh and asked how he kept his guitar in tune without locking nuts Van Drunkard said " its a secret" ...what a tool i really hated stupid egos like that when i was a kid learning guitar.
Van Drunkard? Really? Why is it necessary to say things like that?

As for the story, isn't it possible that the conversation with Eddie and Randy went like this:

RR: Hey Eddie, I really like what you do with the bar on your guitar, how do you manage to keep it in tune?

EVH: Y'know, that's kind of a secret trick I figured out on my own, I'd rather not discuss it.

If this conversation happened when VH were still the kings of the strip, it'd make sense that Ed didn't want to share any tricks of the trade to a rival, which is why he turned his back when tapping. If it was after VH had been signed, Ed was having issues with many players copying him and was a bit sensitive to the whole thing - he sued Charvel for making copies of his guitar early on, so it's very possible he simply didn't want to talk about it.

Randy said in an interview later on when asked about his trem (I believe on the white Jackson) that it wasn't difficult to keep in tune if it was set up right. So obviously he learned what he needed to know somewhere along the line.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

Randy said in an interview later on when asked about his trem (I believe on the white Jackson) that it wasn't difficult to keep in tune if it was set up right. So obviously he learned what he needed to know somewhere along the line.
THIS!

We have to remember that using a whammy bar like that was still new. There weren't "real" guitar techs. There wasnt information flowing, or books on the subject. Hell, even TODAY most "techs" couldnt get a bar to stay in tune. There are many little tricks, and you certainly couldnt discuss them all backstage at a gig... :)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

evh is guitar genius but a social retard.
i believe the bad stories about him.
look what he did to mike anthony and to all his singers...stabbed em all in the back...

evh can get whatever albums he wants from warner bros...with his ego why would he chance being seen buying one of his egos rivals,randy rhoads???If you think about the story it is a fantasy scenario that is obviously just that.

the story about randy talking about bach and evh is very cool but again inserting evh into the supposed dialog almost seems like another randy fanatics fantasy scenario.

All these stories are from someone who knew someone who told them....its just too conveniently unverifiable.

the internet only makes rumors more prevalent.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote: Klein says that when Randy approached Evh and asked how he kept his guitar in tune without locking nuts Van Drunkard said " its a secret" ...what a tool i really hated stupid egos like that when i was a kid learning guitar.
Van Drunkard? Really? Why is it necessary to say things like that?

As for the story, isn't it possible that the conversation with Eddie and Randy went like this:

RR: Hey Eddie, I really like what you do with the bar on your guitar, how do you manage to keep it in tune?

EVH: Y'know, that's kind of a secret trick I figured out on my own, I'd rather not discuss it.

If this conversation happened when VH were still the kings of the strip, it'd make sense that Ed didn't want to share any tricks of the trade to a rival, which is why he turned his back when tapping. If it was after VH had been signed, Ed was having issues with many players copying him and was a bit sensitive to the whole thing - he sued Charvel for making copies of his guitar early on, so it's very possible he simply didn't want to talk about it.

Why ? because its obvious Van Halen was not a very humble person , if you read Kleins other RR/ Vh encounters one of them goes like this ....They were packing away Randys gear and Dave L Roth and Van Halen drove past making fun of him so Lori ( RR friend) slapped Dave Lee Roth in the face.

Van Drunkard is quite apt for someone who obviously had a massive ego and thought it was funny to taunt lesser known humble musicians bordering on cruel to someone of Randy Rhoads`s gentle nature.

Not only that if you read Kleins other RR/Vh encounters it says that when RR and his friend went to see Vh live for the first time when he left he was " devastated".

Cruel springs to mind. Thats not the way to treat a little humble guitar playing guy trying to make a name for himself who had a music teacher mother who he desperately wanted to show his worth.When Randy played his mother Quiet Riot 1 his mother said " oh no this really isnt any good Randy!" and he went to his room and cried.

When he first played " Blizzard of Ozz" his mother said " now youre talking!" and he cried tears of joy.

Cant you see? the guy was a gentle , humble sensitive guy ?

Eddie Van Halen= what a mean bighead he seemed back then.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

rhoads56 wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

THIS!

We have to remember that using a whammy bar like that was still new. There weren't "real" guitar techs. There wasnt information flowing, or books on the subject. Hell, even TODAY most "techs" couldnt get a bar to stay in tune. There are many little tricks, and you certainly couldnt discuss them all backstage at a gig... :)

Well yeah i mean its logical the guy was bright so he wouldve figured it out himself in the end....I mean....How long could Van Halen play with his back to audience tapping away before someone just worked out how to do it anyway?

In fact Van Halen got that idea from Jimmy Page and just developed his own unique style.

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:Why ?

It's funny how, on this forum, I quote Randy from an interview years ago where he said that the reason Diary was tuned a half step down was because the tuner was mis-calibrated and I'm told he was obviously misquoted, yet someone relays second or third-hand accounts of something involving EVH and it's gospel if it makes Ed look bad.

Andrew Klein is not someone I would believe any further than I could throw him, so I doubt any story he presents as 'exclusive' such as Ed and Dave being dickheads.

So why calling him "Van Drunkard" shouldn't happen is because you haven't personally been there to experience Ed's behavior. When was Ed an ass to you?

Look, I've read as many EVH interviews as I have RR articles. Sometimes he comes across as an ass, sometimes not. The audio interviews I've heard don't come across as an ass. In fact, 99% of the Ed's an egotistical ass stuff comes from David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Dave was unsuccessful without Ed and Sammy did the same thing with Ronnie Montrose when that band folded, so why believe them?

I'm sure the stardom thing got to Ed and he's not a humble little saint, but if enough people tell you you are a god and try to emulate you, you'll change, I guarantee it. Kevin DuBrow didn't do drugs during Randy's lifetime, yet he died from cocaine. Who's to say Randy wouldn't have eventually stumbled with all of the praise thrown at him? Randy is considered a saint because he never had a chance to make a mistake in the public eye. Ed has to live with his mistakes.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

yeah i would have been devastated if i had heard evh in a club in 1976.Some of the audio pre-tapping staff is frikkin awesome...and so clean.Add tapping to the mix and you might as well throw in the towel.How rr managed to not follow evh's playing is amazing.EVH represented the next level of playing and who wants to not reach that new level?
All that said,evh should thank dlr everyday that he is not on food stamps cuz without dlr s guidance the vh band would ve died long before warner bros found them.Had gene simmons had his way,evh would have played in kiss for a cuple of albums and showcased cool licks on mediocre songs with full mask makeup and costumes and then sidelined to oblivion.Oy vey!
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:Why ?

It's funny how, on this forum, I quote Randy from an interview years ago where he said that the reason Diary was tuned a half step down was because the tuner was mis-calibrated and I'm told he was obviously misquoted, yet someone relays second or third-hand accounts of something involving EVH and it's gospel if it makes Ed look bad.

Andrew Klein is not someone I would believe any further than I could throw him, so I doubt any story he presents as 'exclusive' such as Ed and Dave being dickheads.

So why calling him "Van Drunkard" shouldn't happen is because you haven't personally been there to experience Ed's behavior. When was Ed an ass to you?

Look, I've read as many EVH interviews as I have RR articles. Sometimes he comes across as an ass, sometimes not. The audio interviews I've heard don't come across as an ass. In fact, 99% of the Ed's an egotistical ass stuff comes from David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. Dave was unsuccessful without Ed and Sammy did the same thing with Ronnie Montrose when that band folded, so why believe them?

I'm sure the stardom thing got to Ed and he's not a humble little saint, but if enough people tell you you are a god and try to emulate you, you'll change, I guarantee it. Kevin DuBrow didn't do drugs during Randy's lifetime, yet he died from cocaine. Who's to say Randy wouldn't have eventually stumbled with all of the praise thrown at him? Randy is considered a saint because he never had a chance to make a mistake in the public eye. Ed has to live with his mistakes.

If the Van Halen stories are false then i wouldnt have a problem with EVh but if they are true then not only did he humiliate Rhoads and acted like a bighead and also correct me if im wrong when Rhoads died did Van Halen send his condolences?

Osbourne was getting calls from around the world condolences from most big rock and metal bands of the time, when Dimebag Darrell was laid to rest strangely Van Halen turned up and put his 79 black and yellow strat in his coffin. Yet Dimebag was more of a Randy Rhoads fan see video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GsGdX5ExNY

He absolutely loved him he said in his own words " to me Randy was heavy metal, Van halen was heavy pop "

Why didnt Van Halen show this kind of support when Rhoads died?

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

oth wrote:evh is guitar genius but a social retard.
i believe the bad stories about him.
look what he did to mike anthony and to all his singers...stabbed em all in the back...

evh can get whatever albums he wants from warner bros...with his ego why would he chance being seen buying one of his egos rivals,randy rhoads???If you think about the story it is a fantasy scenario that is obviously just that.

the story about randy talking about bach and evh is very cool but again inserting evh into the supposed dialog almost seems like another randy fanatics fantasy scenario.

All these stories are from someone who knew someone who told them....its just too conveniently unverifiable.

the internet only makes rumors more prevalent.

Oth this story was told to me directly by the person who was in the music shop and conversed with Randy Rhoads....

RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

So, Klein attributes this EVH story to Randy himself, and evidently no one called him on it? Using logic as a guide here, if Randy had actually said this to someone, it would cite the source that Randy had said this to. And given that Klein never actually met Randy, it's not possible that Klein can say that Randy really said this. I suppose that we will hear next that it was PM that Randy recited this incredible encounter to. But as an editor, why didn't he add credibility to this claim?

Oh well. Still ain't gonna buy that book.

Also, Paul- I couldn't help but to notice earlier in this thread you said something to the effect you wouldn't trust Klein any further than you could throw him, but since having read this bio, you've lost some respect for Randy due to what you had read- what changed?
I don't have a short attention span I
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

mojo,that is a very,very cool story.
as for evh,i think he thought rr was a joke...vh were huge on the party scene and were hard rockers with an edge...qr was a pop band almost like david cassidy athat put out a pretty boy image and poppy music/generic crap.I can see where ed had no respect for that.Ed is a pretty fkd up dude who lies and is paranoid so dont expect any kudos from him-he doesnt compliment his peers ever.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

oth wrote:mojo,that is a very,very cool story.
as for evh,i think he thought rr was a joke...vh were huge on the party scene and were hard rockers with an edge...qr was a pop band almost like david cassidy athat put out a pretty boy image and poppy music/generic crap.I can see where ed had no respect for that.Ed is a pretty fkd up dude who lies and is paranoid so dont expect any kudos from him-he doesnt compliment his peers ever.
Oth, for once I agree with you. Though I respect his playing, which was pioneering, there are countless documented instances of him being a less than savoury person. And when you have so many people saying he's an asshole, well, there's probably something to it, don't you think?

For further proof of how "nice" Ed supposedly is, I would refer anyone to his treatment of Michael Anthony, VH's bass player for years. Not exactly the hallmark of someone who gives a rat's ass about others. Also, see Sammy Hagar's book for how he was treated by Ed.

I laughed when Sammy Hagar, who I think is an overrated musician (but a brilliant businessman), and Mike Anthony were on Howard Stern's show a while back. It seems that MA made off like a bandit with all his royalties from VH, and also going into business with Sammy Hagar. I was happy to hear they did well with AND without Ed and his massive ego, but mostly without. No sooner had they canned Mike Anthony then they had replaced him with Ed's son Wolfgang. Once again, doesn't scream "man of integrity" to me. I mean, I don't think he's sunken to Gene Simmons' level of douchebaggery, but still, he seems like an ass. Think what you will, but there's a lot of folks that say he's a tool.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

evh is a backstabber and a shameless one at that...the ma move was unreal...he even removed ma's image from the cd covers on their website but put it back after too much backlash....ive heard audio tapes of the guy and he s not really a people person...however,that doesnt change my view of his playing... i dont care what he does in his personal life as long as hes not a serial killer.
anything ed did to piss off hagar is fine by me.hagar is a bigger a hole than evh and unlike ed,has no musical talent whatsoever(in a non-britney spears sense)...on the 5150 tour hagar would badmouth roth and wave anti dlr banners on stage-all this while wearing a bette midler/flock of seagulls haircut and peach parachute pants.It was the worst concert i ever saw.Contrast this with the best concert i ever saw which was only 2 yrs prior and funny enough,was van halen also albeit with a real showman and leader,dlr.
Last edited by oth on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.