kamalayka
Cool Member

Why is Warren Demartini underrated?

Post by kamalayka »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Why is Warren Demartini underrated?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I always loved Warren's playing... he was overshadowed by the 'hair metal' thing, I think. He wrote catchy songs and the solos always fit perfectly.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

...probably because he hasn't ventured too far outside RATT land? 8)
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Mediocre talent in an mediocre band... outplayed and out performed by 20 other bands in the same genre... and outplayed by 50 other guitarists in the same era.
He's not under-rated.
He's right where he belongs.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

The_Scratch wrote:Mediocre talent in an mediocre band... outplayed and out performed by 20 other bands in the same genre... and outplayed by 50 other guitarists in the same era.
He's not under-rated.

This is mediocre??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1Pi93JlMqk

Webster defines mediocre as:
1. of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance
2. ordinary; so-so
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... r7ifB8JF-w
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jpWU#t=16s
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I love warrens playing but its predictable and doesnt change.There were a lot of good players in the 80s.Warren was another.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:There were a lot of good players in the 80s...
I saw Poison on TV the other night from a 2007 concert... CC DeVille will never be listed among the 'greats', but he could play to the song very well (and write good hooks), Warren is very much the same - writes good songs and plays to the song well.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Was listening to more ratt today and WM had great tone and tasty licks.Seems like he does a lot of descending runs.There were so many great axemen back in the 80s it was hard to keep track.There would be a new one in every new issue of GP and then you would have to go buy(no youtube or mp3) the vinyl from metal shrapnel records or something obscure so i never would.I still havent heard vinnie moore or chris impelleteri or whatever.There are just too many and it all became a blur to me except for RR,evh and george lynch.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

oth wrote:There are just too many and it all became a blur to me except for RR,evh and george lynch.
...and Warren was pretty much a mix ot the latter 2 ;)

What do you get if you take George Lynchs lead playing, throw
it in a blender together with Eddies rhythm playing? ;)

Just take a listen to RATTs 'Round and round' and then pop in
Van Halens 'Umchained' and 'Panama' 8)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Warren is definitely talented but they didn't have enough great songs. I love the songs that are great but the rest don't do anything for me.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

kamalayka wrote:
The_Scratch wrote:Mediocre talent in an mediocre band... outplayed and out performed by 20 other bands in the same genre... and outplayed by 50 other guitarists in the same era.
He's not under-rated.

This is mediocre??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1Pi93JlMqk

Webster defines mediocre as:
1. of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance
2. ordinary; so-so
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... r7ifB8JF-w
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jpWU#t=16s

You are obviously a Ratt and De Martini fan that is trying to place him on a higher level.
I am not saying he's bad... and not saying he's great... he's in the middle, which places him as mediocre in MY book... not Websters.

I like Warren... I hated Ratt.
Always felt it was a shame that he got wasted in such a lame band. Perhaps if he had played elsewhere with worthwhile musicians the spotlight would have shown a little brighter.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

He's not under-rated.
This is probably the most accurate thing on this thread. I like Warren too. I think he is great. Suppose, though, that he was able to play the same stuff in the 70's before Van Halen. Then he would have been a legend. He really didn't offer much new.
I will say that I like most 80's hair band's music. And I wish I had the fame of Warren.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The_Scratch wrote:You are obviously a Ratt and De Martini fan that is trying to place him on a higher level.
I am not saying he's bad... and not saying he's great... he's in the middle, which places him as mediocre in MY book... not Websters.
I got an ass-chewing for saying the same thing about George Lynch... not bad, not great... I made the mistake of calling him a 2nd tier guy and that was misconstrued as' "George Sucks".

I agree. Warren is where he belongs... he was very good, but not earth-shattering.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Lets try to remember eveyone has their own opinions. I just played a gig with another musician that thought eddie van halen was soulless and played mathematically. So let me ask is that the truth because he thought that? I think warren is good not crazy for the band over all but I see his talent. Still just my opinion.