Bert Weedon RIP

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Bert Weedon RIP

Post by rice_pudding »

Legend Bert Weedon died recently. I think he is quite an unknown to most modern guitarists, but truly a passionate gentleman, who championed the guitar back when many people still didn't now what the instrument was!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17781762
Bert Weedon's contribution to the guitar world cannot be overstated.

As an orchestral guitarist in the post-war big band era, and a session man on countless dates playing anything from jazz to rock and roll, Weedon's abilities were in constant demand. He worked with the best bandleaders, backed Britain's chart-topping crooners and lent guitar 'hooks' to many a pop classic. You've probably heard him a thousand times without even knowing.

But Bert may be best remembered as a teacher. As well as co-presenting kids' TV shows during the 1950s and early '60s, where his relaxed style taught early learners that included most of the UK's subsequent guitar elite, he also penned the best-selling guitar tuition book of all time.

With 'students' that number Eric Clapton, Brian May, Sting, Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and countless others, Weedon could well be described as the most genuinely influential guitarist of all time.

-Neville Marten
Editor, Guitar Techniques Magazine
Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Bert Weedon RIP

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I heard that last night... RIP
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

He's another one of the old guys who had a great life, the only shame is that he is not more well known to a younger generation. I only learned about him a couple of years ago! Upon recollection, one of my dad's old guitar books that i thumbed through as a kid was penned by a certain Mr. Weedon :P

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was thinking about the 'younger generation' yesterday. My son is 11-years-old and his friends love AC/DC, Sabbath and Ozzy but never heard of Led Zeppelin...

Ozzy has a Crazy Train going for him (football games and that car commercial), and both AC/DC and Black Sabbath were introduced to them via the Iron Man movies!

So, yeah, it's a shame the younger generation is being spoon fed the 'classics'!