Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So I broke down and got the new Van Halen...

The big surprise (for me) is track #2 - She's the Woman - which has been around in demo form since the '70's! Actually a number of these songs are ancient demos redone and renamed... Since I'm a fan of VH demos, this is an interesting record for me.

I'm going to listen to it a few more times before making any real judgement...

Big River (originally Big Trouble) rocks like old school VH...

All in all, this sounds like the boys pulled out some old tapes of themselves and just had fun being a bar band again... probably the best Van Halen record - start to finish - since Women and Children First.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Post by axeman_12656 »

I really dig the album!!
Live Life Stronger Than Death
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I'm not a VH fan in the least, but I've heard interesting things about this album. I may have to borrow it from someone just to hear what all the fuss is about!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote: ... probably the best Van Halen record - start to finish - since Women and Children First.
Really?Reeeeeaaaaaly?Flame war starts in 3,2,1....
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yes, I really think it is better than anything after 1980 - start to finish. By that I mean that each record starting with Fair Warning had some good songs, but also had quite a bit I didn't like so much.

This new record has Tattoo which I don't care for, but I really like the rest of the songs a lot. The one thing that would make this better would be having Michael Anthony's backing vocals...

Listen to these clips and then comment, please.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

ya i heard it last week.There s nothing that touches 78-84 material.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

A different Kind Of Truth is an Amazing return for Van Halen!! That doens't mean i think its better than the first 5 albums... but its in the same conversation. Keep in mind its been 28 years..

If Sabbath makes a new record that is at least in the conversation with the first 8 albums I will be extatic.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was thinking the same thing... hopefully Black Sabbath can recapture the magic like Van Halen did.

VH definitely sounds like a new millennium version of themselves, but they sound like they are playing just for fun again...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Going to see them on march 9th. I gotta get the cd.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Saw them opening night in Louisville, KY. They were a tad loose, as opening night usually is... But the show was Amazing!!! Geo Sav by the time you see them im sure it will be tight all get out. They played 24 songs... Including a couple that they hadn't played live since 79-80 (women in love) (outta love again). It was great.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

They will be here the day after my birthday in May, I wish I could afford to go...
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

yeah... tix are rediculas. I paid $85 for upper level. But I was just 3 rows up and right beside the stage. So i was at least close to them.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

axeman_12656 wrote:Saw them opening night in Louisville, KY. They were a tad loose, as opening night usually is... But the show was Amazing!!! Geo Sav by the time you see them im sure it will be tight all get out. They played 24 songs... Including a couple that they hadn't played live since 79-80 (women in love) (outta love again). It was great.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Saw them in Philly last night. I have always been a hige vintage VH fan. Basically, my expectations were set pretty low because I saw them in their prime on the WACF tour. These guys (Wolfie not withstanding) have been at it since 1974, and I applaud anyone that can pull off that energy at that age w/o looking silly. The workmanship was very good. Ed was amazing and appeared to be genuinely enjoying himself. It was nice to see him having fun with Dave and Wolfie. His solo incorporated many familiar sections and the huge screen made this extra enjoyable. Guitarists even in the nosebleed sections could see the details of one of the greatest guitarists of the 20th century at work in the wild. In general, Dave and Ed move a tad slower, but so do I! The show was worth the painful price. I didn't feel the least bit cheated or gouged. Not one song disappointed. Dave was...well...Dave. I like the guy's style and he was in his element. The crowd loved him. He can get goofy as we all know, but I didn't cringe at anything. Wolfie is a damned good bassist and his vocals on the Michael Anthony parts were spot on. Talentwise, the boy is definitely a Van Halen. Uncle Alex is a friggin' animal on skins (I'm a drummer and have studied him closely since the first album). This man is still awesome and I respect his work as much as Bonham, Moon, Peart, Gadd, Kerslake, etc. I have seen youngsters wilt upon attempting "Hot For Teacher". When Alex is on the throne, take notes, kids.

I said all that to say....

Throughout the night, I could not help but think what the world would be like had Randy not gone with Aycock. I'm sure glad that Ed is still with us and doing what he does. I had my 14 year old son with me and he was stoked. What a great experience for us both. With all of the crap music he is subjected to, I am pleased that he had the opportunity to see VH live. "This is how it is done, son."

Cheering for Ed and the boys last night was as much a reminder of how much Rhoads was/is a part of my musical experience as VH. I'm not about to fantasize and/or speculate wildly, but on the eve of 30 years gone, Randy was in the house for me in some way last night. That says something about the musician and artist that he was. I can't put my finger on it, but there are those of you that understand what I'm on about, so I'm not going to try to explain it any further. I hope those who come after us try to keep Randy's memory alive. I am doing my best and Randy was part of last night for me.