Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thnx for that great review Stress!
hope they will make it to Europe soon!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

The energy on this album is pretty amazing for guys pushing 60!Im surprised evh is playing pretty decent.This is definitely the best stuff since 1984.That said,daves voice is kinda forced and without mike,the vocals seem to be lost.What kind of sucks is that this lp proves vh coulda made killer albums throughout the 8os instead of van hagar.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:The energy on this album is pretty amazing for guys pushing 60!Im surprised evh is playing pretty decent.This is definitely the best stuff since 1984.That said,daves voice is kinda forced and without mike,the vocals seem to be lost.What kind of sucks is that this lp proves vh coulda made killer albums throughout the 8os instead of van hagar.
I completely agree with everything you've said here!

Last night a friend gave me a DVD (he said he found it through dubious means so I'm guessing it's from a torrent site) of VH last week at New York's Madison Square Garden and they still look and sound great live.
Attachments
1175v9c.jpg
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Ive been listening to the lp through youtube -full audio clips not previews.It hasnt got me hooked yet to go out and buy it but maybe it ll grow on me.Mikes backing vocals were a huge part of the VH sound.Musically its almost amazing that they could pull off tunes like this,almost like frozen in time.The solo in Tattoo is classic evh. Im amazed he can play like that.After all it seems that kind of riffing was erased from his arsenal when Sammy took over. EVH looks genuinely happy and at peace in the live stuff,he deserves it.The live stuff ive seen has been a bit choppy to me but these guys are playing metal at an advanced age.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120