Dwight Yoakam Guitarist Eddie Perez -Great Player!

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Dwight Yoakam Guitarist Eddie Perez -Great Player!

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Might be a bit out of place here, but last night I went to a Dwight Yoakam show just out of Edmonton. I'm a country fan as well as a rock and metal fan, and Dwight Yoakam, as you know, is a pretty well known country artist.

Well, the show itself was disappointing. The sound mix was horrid, and you couldn't hear half of what Yoakam was singing....good thing I knew the songs! Anyway, the part that stood out was Dwight's guitarist, Eddie Perez.

Easily, his lead guitar work was the best thing about the show. he absolutely smoked every song he played, and is a surprisingly great player. He was spot on on most every note, and has a great, distinct style that does not ruin the original versions of these songs. All this through a sound mix that was loud and badly done!

Perez also played with the well known country group The Mavericks previous to this.

Interestingly, Perez reminded me of Randy Rhoads, in that he played exceptionally well, even with bad sound and a frontman that was not on his game last night, and came out shining. Reminds me of Ozzy having a bad night, and Randy saving the whole thing with great playing. Last night, Dwight was Ozzy! had it not been for the playing of Perez...well, the night would have been a total loss.

In short, go see Dwight Yoakam for Eddie Perez's playing, sadly, not for Dwight himself!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Dwight Yoakam Guitarist Eddie Perez -Great Player!

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Eddie is definitely a hot player... country guitar is so often overlooked in favor of 'shred'...
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:Eddie is definitely a hot player... country guitar is so often overlooked in favor of 'shred'...
Indeed! I was impressed by his playing...one of the few players that really stands out in an otherwise bland ensemble group.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Ever tried playing country guitar CRF?

I worked at it for a time, Doug Seven DVDs and all, but it was so hard to get used to open strings and major pentatonics after playing rock/metal with minor pentatonics for so long!

I am impressed by a lot of country players, I envy their talant.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:Ever tried playing country guitar CRF?

I worked at it for a time, Doug Seven DVDs and all, but it was so hard to get used to open strings and major pentatonics after playing rock/metal with minor pentatonics for so long!

I am impressed by a lot of country players, I envy their talant.
No, I've never tried playing country guitar.

There are some great country players out there, guys like Vince Gill. In the past, there has been guys like the late Chet Atkins and Glen Campbell. Totally different type of playing, but one that requires just as much skill.

My own favorite country artist of all time is Waylon Jennings, who was a great player and picker in his own right.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Waylon's son Shooter is a current favorite of mine.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:Waylon's son Shooter is a current favorite of mine.
I haven't heard much of Shooter's music, but what I have heard, I've liked. His dad was a bonafide legend, that's for sure.