Post by baconstealer1 »

This guy plays so spot on! He's almost as good as Randy I think :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtwDH5q ... re=related
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Re: WOW this guy plays just like Randy!

Post by Axeman1956 »

baconstealer1 wrote:This guy plays so spot on! He's almost as good as Randy I think :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtwDH5q ... re=related
I guessing he's Japanese.... Most of them idol Randy so much that they learn all of his songs and get all his equipment... They know their Randy shit, I'll tell you that
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

I've seen that guy before. He's great!
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I know I'm a new guy here, but I just want to say that one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is seeing a guitar player ape somebody else. I'd be really impressed if he had his own style. Sorry.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Alex wrote:
kamalayka wrote:I know I'm a new guy here, but I just want to say that one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is seeing a guitar player ape somebody else. I'd be really impressed if he had his own style. Sorry.
The most important thing is having fun
Very true!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

kamalayka wrote:I know I'm a new guy here, but I just want to say that one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is seeing a guitar player ape somebody else. I'd be really impressed if he had his own style. Sorry.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by ape somebody?
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Geo Sav wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by ape somebody?
I gather by ape he means to copy, well ape is slang for copying here anyways.

I agree with the other posters here, it does look like he is having fun and that is the single most important thing. Besides he did not offend my ear drums, which is something else rather important when listing to music.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So here is the same guy playing Ratt... and he's got videos of other stuff as well.

We all 'ape' other players, Randy did, too. This kid has talent and I think it's great that he has a lot of fun doing the videos. Not everyone has the opportunity to be in a band and go out doing their own stuff, so for those of us who play for fun and nothing more, this kid is an inspiration as to how good you can get when you practice.

kamalayka, you are entitled to your opinion, I'm just offering my point of view... by the way, welcome to our dysfunctional family!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I thought it was really good. And when I cover a song I play it note for note too. He's doing what he is supposed to be doing a cover of a song.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:I thought it was really good. And when I cover a song I play it note for note too. He's doing what he is supposed to be doing a cover of a song.

Oh, I don't know about supposed to... Randy didn't do it note-for-note, nor did Ed or Zakk, and Brad Gillis on Speak of the Devil simply owned those songs because he did not play them note-for-note...

Some people think that if you don't play note-for-note it's because you can't play it note for note. Sometimes it's because you don't want to play it that way.

That said, I really like this kids videos.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

If you put a cover of a song on youtube. Its usually note for note. As far as zakk I have never heard him switch randys solo up. I dont know who ed is that you are talking about. But as a artist you should play it anyway you want. I know if I go see a local cover band I like them to play the song as close as possible to the way it originally sounds.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:I dont know who ed is that you are talking about.
Ed Van Halen... listen to Ice Cream Man and You're No Good, he completely changes a song whne he covers it!

Zakk may keep Randy's solos intact, but he loves to 'squeal' through some of those songs...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I love Ice Cream Man But When I heard that back in 78 I had no idea that was someone else that wrote that and still haven't heard the original. but now you talking about more of a rendition. Like changing the arrangement around Ect. there is some cases where when people change the song around it actually sounds better I agree. I was just saying if I put me playing Crazy Train On youtube and put me own solo in place of Randy's people might dig it but would probably wanna hear the solo as close to the original. But I still think this guy did a great job none the less.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:I love Ice Cream Man But When I heard that back in 78 I had no idea that was someone else that wrote that and still haven't heard the original. but now you talking about more of a rendition.
'Rendition' or 'cover'? Same thing in my opinion.

Nobody is going to play Randy or EVH stuff in any way except note-for-note covers, because pseudo-fans would crucify them... they are considered to be Icons and people don't like their Icons messed with.

Now, granted, I didn't look too hard, so I didn't find the actual original recording, but here is a cover closer to the original John Brim version of Ice Cream Man.