Favorite Bands Aging...

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Favorite Bands Aging...

Post by whoopiecat »

Commenting on the thread concerning Downing leaving Priest prompted me to start this thread.
Though this is the music that I love and grew up on, some bands seem to be entering the area of continuing past their "sell-by" date.

The Who: What's left of them, anyway. Roger has nothing left in the tank and Pete can't hear. The superbowl appearance was kind of sad. If anything, they should cut 'My Generation' , as the line "Hope I die" seems humorous as they are old...no way around that one.

Black Sabbath: OK, Dio has passed on and Ozzy isn't coming back...even if he did, I'm not so sure I'd really want to hear a new Sabbath album with him. The two studio cuts at the end of the 'Reunion' album weren't exactly earth-shattering...they sounded like solo Ozzy.

AC/DC: How much longer can Brian Johnson go before one of his testicles rolls down his pant leg during a show?
Much respect for the band and the guy, but his voice is absolutely fried. Angus continues to slowly headbang more out of necessity than habit these days...it's painful to watch.

Van Halen: Boy, is it fucking over. Dave is a great showman, but his pipes were toast in the 90's. Ed has squandered so much of his life, health and talent, he's easily the casualty of the genre. Come June 2nd, it will be three years since the reunion tour ended, but he continues to promise that the new material is coming.
I'm all set with that, thanks...

Aerosmith: Steve is off being a TV star, while Joe and the boys are considering a new singer...having someone aside from Tyler front A-smith is just plain foolish.

Ozzy: I'd have to make a new thread...

The Hair Metal bands: That's low-hanging fruit...I'll let someone else take a crack at those guys...

I got called a poser at another board for being honest in stating that neither the 'Heaven & Hell' album from Sabbath, (the last one, not the first with Dio.), nor Priest's 'Nostradamus' were very good, or at least albums I'd listen to very often.
Does it make you less of a fan if you don't adore everything a band has recorded?
Most of these guys are in their late 50's or early 60's, which makes them just about elderly.
Kind of odd to be up on stage in leather and studs and spandex at that age and not look ridiculous. The girls in the crowd flashing their boobs could be their granddaughters.
Look how John Entwistle went out: Dead in a hotel room in Vegas from doing blow with a stripper! He would have been 58 in four months! This is a young man's game and most of these guys are tired and trying to keep up with the spectres of their younger selves.
Most don't consider themselves nostalgia acts, but when they tour, there are usually three obligatory tunes from the new album, and the rest of the setlist is all of their hits from the past two, three or four decades.
It's nice they're being prolific, writing and recording new material, but they use a new album as a vehicle to tour behind, to sell merchandise and tickets. Fans tend to use the new songs as an opportunity to hit the loo or the beer stand. There is absolutely no way that fans hold a band's new album in the same regard as the juggernauts of their past efforts.

There are only two bands within the genre who are still doing ok and that would be Rush and Iron Maiden, which makes me wonder if it's because neither group had members who have become drug/alcohol casualties.
Going back to KK leaving Priest, perhaps it dawned on him that he'll be 60 in the fall. Maybe he just didn't want to face another year-plus of stadiums, soundchecks, airports and hotels.
All of them are entering the final quarter of their lives, you think they'd want to kick back and enjoy everything they've worked for. I guess, for some, it's all they know.

Wow...rant over :lol:

~Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
tedeeoo
Madman

Re: Favorite Bands Aging...

Post by tedeeoo »

Time waits for no one, having said that the new Whitesnake record is freaking awesome!! I think a band can still be relevant at that stage of their career, they just have to be smarter about what they do and how they present theirselves. I'll use the new WS record as an example, obviously Coverdale's high range is not quite what it used to be, but they were smart enough on this record to put the majority of the vocals in his mid-range, which is one of the best in rock. They also made it a point to write very good songs for the record and, for the most part, not do the standard 80's rock lyrics (everbody does expect some of that on a WS record though don't they?). Plus, his band is the strongest its been since the Sykes era. They (WS) have also done several things outside of just the music end that to me are very impressive, they recorded most of it at DC's studio, Doug Aldrich engineered it, I'm pretty sure they did the video for "love Will Set You Free" (which is great by the way) themselves, and they have done a really good job of promoting everything and especially catering the album to the internet. Granted, I am a major Doug Aldrich/WS fan, but to me this record is as good as anything they have ever done, and that's saying alot cause the 87 record with Sykes is just a mf. I'll see them live in a couple of weeks so we'll see how they pull it off live.

To me, every band can do that but it takes a little more work as a band ages and is not in the limelight so much, again they have to get smarter. I agree with you 100 percent on some of what you said, especially the part about Van Halen, what a complete waste of the most talented guitar player this generation will probably ever see. I have always been disappointed that Van Halen were not at the forefront of everything on the internet, they were so groundbreaking everywhere else.

I saw Judas Priest on their last tour and they were incredible, one of the best shows I have ever seen. I guess K.K. just got tired of all of it. At some point they will all hang it up, hopefully some of the newer bands will come along and fill the void when our favorite bands are gone. As a musician, I can tell you I will play until I can't, its just something you can't get out of your blood no matter how old you are.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I agree with you in a sense Ted, in that if there are people out there who still want to buy the music, then it is relevant! I do though feel some music belongs to a certain period. What I mean is that It is very rare... and I mean very rare rock band/artist that can perform - say in their 60's - and not look like an almost a parody of themselves. If I am honest. most of the band mentioned above I wish had just quit while they were in their heyday!

The older pop/rock guys I do admire and enjoy are people like Brian Wilson, Robert Plant and Jeff Beck; who instead of trying to keep the flame of yesterday alive, are doing something very different every year they are alive.

It may well be a fault in my nature/outlook, but I cannot understand why an artist doesn't want to evolve and change.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I can see that Matt, there should be some progression to what you do even if you stay within the limits of a certain style. I have the utmost respect for Robert Plant, there is no telling how much money he has been offered to do a Zeppelin reunion, but to me their legacy is so much more intact because he has not. As for a group like Whitesnake, you know me Matt, I love all that "crotch-rock" stuff, lol!!!!

Bring on the Black Oak Arkansas reunion, lol!!!!!

(No disrespect intended to all you BOA fans, I like em' to)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

You see David Coverdale with that powerhouse voice could be... I don't know :) ... teaming up with Seasick Steve and doing a blues album! I'd also have Eddie Van Halen calling up John McLaughlin and collaborating! Damn it!!!!! Simply Red's Mick Hucknall (who I discovered on the Jules Holland show has a voice that for jazz and blues) could ditch endless Simply Red re unions and do something new... but they all just play it safe and do more of the same!!

edit - Just thought of someone who I am not a fan as such, but I admire for moving with the times...Bruce Springsteen!! He doesn't still wear white t-shirts with a clothe hanging out of his jean pocket LOL.

Matt

p.s Whitesnake is a bit cock rock but it is nowhere near the devastation of Poison at least :) :) Trigger (Ian) is in a Poison Tribute band so I had better not dis Poison too much
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I love hearing Coverdale on the bluesy stuff to Matt, "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" is one of my fav WS songs, this new record is real bluesy, it reminds me more of pre-Sykes WS than anything. Of course Doug is a big fan of old-era WS so thats not to surprising. I would like to hear Eddie (Van Halen) do "anything" at this point, such a waste. Speaking of blues, I can't tell you how much I wish Jake E. Lee would do something, talk about a monster blues player, Jake can do it when he wants, awesome slide player also. I'd also like to hear some of Jake's jazz chops and I'd really like to hear him play country, I think he could pull that off really well. Sprinsteen has always kinda done what he wanted to, I would imagine that is a good place to be as an artist/musician, Prince is the same way.

I try not to say anything bad about bands/musicians so I'll refrain from comment on Poison :wink:
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

There have been albums put out in later years from some of these bands that I thought were good. I really liked Priest's 'Angel of Retribution', but 'Nostradamus' was a chore to listen to, for me anyway.
When Dio got back with Sabbath in the early 90's for 'Dehumanizer', I thought that was a very strong effort, and one I still listen to today. They just sounded tired on 'The Devil You Know' and the three tracks they put together for the Dio Years box.
The same goes for Ozzy's 'Ozzmosis', it had some real good tunes on there, but everything since just rings hollow and comes off as rehashed.
I loved these bands and still do. This genre of music I turn to the most frequent. I've supported these bands by continuing to purchase each of their subsequent releases, but I've found that with most of them, once you get into the new millenium, it begins to sound like a band going through the motions, or fulfilling a contract obligation...like they've run out of ideas or things to say. I've given the newer stuff several listens, but, most of it now languishes in the shadows.
They're trying to be something they used to be, as it's all they know. There's no way that if VH were to release a new album with DLR, that it would sound like what would have come after 1984...I'd be content to remember the Mighty Van Halen as they were, than hearing something forced.
There are certainly artists out there who have gotten on in years who are doing fine, like the Allman Brothers Band or the Stones or Eric Clapton. Prince was a good mention as well. I've always been a big fan of his stuff.
On the subject of Whitesnake, it's been more of a Coverdale thing than an actual band. It's been his vision and baby since the mid-70's and there's nothing wrong with that, but he's had more hired hands in and out of that group than Ozzy has had in his own.
Aside from Ozzy, the other bands I mentioned initially have had the same members, more or less, since they debuted.
I'm not saying that to slag Whitesnake or make you mad, Tedeeoo, as they obviously rate high with you, just an observation and my own personal opinion.
I guess most of these bands or artists from this particular genre of music are somewhat jinxed, as they have little choice but continue to make the same type of music they created, where someone like Clapton has had great success being a part of a power trio, or an AOR guy, a traditional bluesman, both acoustic and electric and now an elder statesman of rock with a softer edge. I think a lot of these guys are quite capable of doing something different than blistering solos and bone-crunching riffs, but breaking out of the box they made and getting the core fans to accept a Flamenco album or a Jazz-Fusion effort would be too daunting a task.
Robert Plant did just that and had tremendous success with the fantastic 'Raising Sand' collaboration with Alison Krauss. Kudos to him for passing on Zep. He publicly stated that he didn't want to compete with his 25 year old former self, and I have a lot of respect for his saying that.

~Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

For all the bands who have had a second coming and are doing the reunion thing. I'd say good on them what we have to remember is that us older fans have seen many of these bands when they hit the big time and peaked. We see bands doing line up changes until all the original band are gone, but one member.
But to the younger generation this is a great opportunity to see a band that they love. When i seen Heaven & Hell it was as good as the first time i seen them in 1980. That was a band who could do it live on stage and for all the youngsters in the crowd it was a memorable time for them and very nostalgic for me. I can see the aging rockers who have shaving heads now instead of the long flowing locks of old, but they are still playing good music. They may look like different people but the majority of them are still good and playing Live. I just wish they could all go on forever, but sadly they do have to retire at sometime.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Hey Tom,

No offense taken to anything, you are exactly right about WS, it has, is, and always will be David's thing, it always impresses me that as many members as he's been through that WS still manages to sound like they do, I do love most of their music but the big thing with me and WS is that Doug Aldrich is just one of the coolest guys their is. He really takes more time with his fans than he has to, its always good when your heroes turn out to be just as cool as you hope. Plus my little boy loves them (he is a HUGE Sykes fan). And the new record really is a killer!!!

I'm with you on Dehumanizer, I thought that was a great album, haven't really cared for Ozzy since NMT.

Ted
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Cool, Ted. 8) This has got to be the best place for having discussions, no? :D
David has always had an ear/eye for good talent and he did real good getting Doug into the band. He is a fine, fine guitar player. I loved what he did while in Dio. The Evil or Divine DVD really showed his live chops.
Don't know if you read Classic Rock magazine (from the UK) had a feature on David talking about the new lineup and album, as well as an 8 out of 10 review on the album. It was issue#156 with VH on the cover.

~T.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I have seen the Classic Rock interview, I think I've seen everything about the new record, lol!!!! I agree, this is one of the best places on the net to talk about music or anything else, I've met alot of nice people here, really everyone I've met here is nice.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

whoopiecat wrote: Robert Plant did just that and had tremendous success with the fantastic 'Raising Sand' collaboration with Alison Krauss. Kudos to him for passing on Zep. He publicly stated that he didn't want to compete with his 25 year old former self, and I have a lot of respect for his saying that.
~Tom
Cheers to you Tom,

Yes; Robert is a very wise gentleman. I think he made completely the right choice here.

Guitaridol,

Incidentally, yes my wife and I got given two tickets to see Dio, I think it was 2008? But the best thing about it was the energy and that it was a very fresh and I thought well performed too! I wasn't looking forward to it but was pleasantly surprised.

Re the 80's hair metal etc - if I was only allowed hair metal or rap on a desert island, I would just have to be MC Robinson Mattso LMAO

Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

do these guys count? they are certainly ageing :)

Another awesome English band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PAHbqq-o4
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Dunno, Matt...they've only started since '90, so maybe no quite yet. I wonder how those who went into the whole tribalism thing in the 90's, (taking tattooing and piercings to the extreme), will feel about their decisions once they exceed their mid-40's?
I understand some are very into the ritualistic element of it and take it quite seriously, but there are so many, here in America, who did it just for the sake of it being a fad.
Before anyone asks, my left ear is pierced twice, the first was when I sailed over the equator, and I have one tattoo as well that was done while overseas nearly a quarter a century ago.

~T.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

whoopiecat wrote: Van Halen: Boy, is it fucking over. Dave is a great showman, but his pipes were toast in the 90's. Ed has squandered so much of his life, health and talent, he's easily the casualty of the genre.

I've defended Ed on this board for years... recently I read Red by Sammy Hagar and have a whole new point of view on Ed. Sam does not trash talk the guy, he simply paints a less-than-flattering picture of the Van Halen brothers as 50-somethings still jamming in the garage like teens with cigarette butts and beer cans littering the floors.

In addition, he says the brothers made poor business decisions (not everyone has a good business mind) and would blame others for 'screwing them' when business ventures went south.

Obviously this is Sam's take and he makes himself out to be a brilliant businessman, so I take it with a grain of salt, I just found it interesting to read a point of view that wasn't along the "Ed's a genius" or straight up bashing.