Favorite Bands Aging...

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Rattler

Re: Favorite Bands Aging...

Post by Rattler »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
whoopiecat wrote: Van Halen: Boy, is it fucking over. Dave is a great showman, but his pipes were toast in the 90's. Ed has squandered so much of his life, health and talent, he's easily the casualty of the genre.

In addition, he says the brothers made poor business decisions (not everyone has a good business mind) and would blame others for 'screwing them' when business ventures went south.

Obviously this is Sam's take and he makes himself out to be a brilliant businessman, so I take it with a grain of salt, I just found it interesting to read a point of view that wasn't along the "Ed's a genius" or straight up bashing.
Sam is, quite frankly, a good business man. His tequila is very good, he started it from the ground up and then sold the brand for a huge profit. His club, Cabo Wabo, is very successful, even mores after the brothers Van Halen pulled out.

For the record I am not a fan of his music. When DLR left the band I stopped listening.

Van Halen have reportedly finished their new full album with DLR...1st single is supposed to drop by Aug...which is when the tour Austrailia.

And AC/DC announced prior to Black Ice album and tour that they were hanging it up at the end of the tour.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Ed has had some well-documented issues away from the guitar, hopefully he's got himself together again. My take on Sammy's side was that he told it pretty much the way it was. Myself, I liked alot of the Van Hagar era but it in no way compares to those first 6 albums with DLR, VH was a different animal back then, and one on top of the food chain I might add. I have read a few things here lately that have said the new record is supposed to be really good, I surely hope so, and I hope we see some progression from EVH and not a record that just retreads the past. I know it will have to somewhat, I just hope its really fresh and energized.

Just as a note, I heard recently that AC/DC have re-considered and will do at least one more album and tour, I think at this point it's really Brian's call, if he thinks his voice will handle it I'm sure they'll do it. I loved "Black Ice" (other than the album title,lol!!), not sure if they can pull another one like that off but I guess we'll see.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

RUSH
... and thats about it.

Robert Plant is still kicking, but considering the laid back style of his music now I'd say he's just smart enough to stick to what he can still do.

Hey, Satriani is in his 50's now and although he hasn't had the lengthy career of some of these other guys, he's never slowed down in the Rock department. I think you could say the same for Steve Vai.

...and considering what Aerosmith did to themselves for almost two decades, they still have something left in the tank.
We'll hear one last hurrah from them and then I think it will be retiresville for them.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

whoopiecat wrote:Van Halen: Boy, is it fucking over. Dave is a great showman, but his pipes were toast in the 90's. Ed has squandered so much of his life, health and talent, he's easily the casualty of the genre. Come June 2nd, it will be three years since the reunion tour ended, but he continues to promise that the new material is coming.
I'm all set with that, thanks...
It's funny to read this now... VH has released that record and it's the best in years from them (like since 1980). Granted it's mostly old songs they had in the archives, but it sounds fresh and great.

As for RUSH, this is Headlong Flight - the new single - and it sounds pretty good to me.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

This is an interesting thread, not sure how I missed it.

Lots of good opinions, I always feel very convoluted about the subject. I've never really been able to get on board with modern music, and I love the golden oldies! When I was a teen I was very much wanting to aspire to the 'old school' and I had all these faux nostalgic images in my head. As I've grown up I've come to the awkward conclusion; that period of music is gone.

Music speaks of culture and society as much as anything, and the 70s/80s... well it's 2012! I'd even say music's position in society has changed tremendously and irreversibly.

I would like to see a lot of the old bands retire personally, in style if possible :lol:

I watched some footage of Ozzy performing a couple of years ago and to be honest, he looked worn out. He still gave the crowd everything, but it just wasn't the same. In just the last five years he has aged a lot. The latest album I own is Black Rain and I'm very 50/50 about it. Ozzy reckons it was the first album to shake off the RR influence, and that shows. Ozzy said that at the end of his time with Sabbath, things had gone full circle, and Sabbath started being a copy of the bands they had influenced. I like BR, but it's not ozzy, it's like a new band, only the front man is in his 60s!

Down to Earth was No More Tears, ten years later imo. Ozzmosis was the last real unique album, and that probably should have been marketed under a new band name (in fact that was the original plan). At least Ozzy has taken a new direction of sorts rather than try to make Blizzard 2. I understand his next album will be his last, I hope he can go out with a bang (no spinal tap reference intended)!

AC/DC's Black Ice was by no means a bad album, but it is their weakest offering, as far as my collection (9 albums) goes. I went to see Deep Purple back in 2006 and much as I enjoyed the show, I couldn't shake the feeling that they shouldn't be here!? Journey were god awful and Queensryche were just plain wierd. Thunder were good, but much like purple felt a bit dated to me. Alice Cooper and Billy Idol are still bad ass far as I'm concerned. Jeff Beck has ascended to some form of demi god. And Iron Maiden appear to still have it going on!

I would rather the Van Halen reunion not have happened, and I'm glad Zeppelin stayed in the air hanger. Some reunions are good, Cream at the Royal Albert Hall springs to mind! But perhaps that is because they are something of a blues band, and the blues has a timeless tradition that never seems to get old.

What else The Eagles are retired right? :P

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alice has surrounded himself with a killer band on tour, indeed. As for VH, they are cancelling gigs due to infighting backstage, so this could be (should be) the end.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

RUSH!!!

Did I say that already?