Guitarists, list your 5 main influences !

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

kh1029

Post by kh1029 »

1. RR He was the best. Everything was so well composed and emotional while being fast and heavy, not many guitarists accomplished that.

2. EVH The reason I started playing. All his stuff with DLR is amazing.

3. Vito Bratta He played with emotion and speed and saved many sappy White Lion songs with killer solos.

4. Ted Nugent He could really play and I think he is underrated.

5. Smith & Murray Wrote so many cool riffs and they could shred.
DaneisKing1389

Post by DaneisKing1389 »

Randy Rhoads
Paul Gilbert
Slash
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughan

It alternates between those 5 every day. Some days I wish I was a different one.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

DaneisKing1389 - I saw Mr. Big open for Rush on the Presto tour, yet I never got into Paul Gilbert's playing until I saw his instructional videos. He is an amazing player and has such a down-to-earth attitude.

kh1029 Dave Murray and Adrian Smith are two of the most underrated players in the history of rock guitar. I've recently been re-learning stuff from the Killers era and those songs were just great - raw and complex at the same time. They've just gotten better since then.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

I've been a bassplayer for like 400 years, so let me stick my nose in for a second. I would be curious as to all of you 6 stringers opinion of Alex Lifeson. He's a longtime favorite of mine but I see his name has not been mentioned. Again, just curious........also, I was glad to see KH1029 list Vito Bratta...TREMENDOUS player. I saw the guy live in 1989. Fabulous musician. Also...anyone here familiar with Pat Thrall...?
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Xanadu wrote:anyone here familiar with Pat Thrall...?

Pat Thrall???? Oh yes, I remember, wasn't he the guy who had this to say about Randy:
Pat Thrall wrote:I saw Randy play in Santa Monica on the Blizzard Of Ozz tour, and, man, the guy blew me away so badly! He actually gave me a bit of a scare. It was the first or second time he'd played L.A., so he was really showing off. He was so on, it was ridiculous. I went backstage, and the first thing I said to the guy was, "Well, I guess I better get my paper route back [Laughs]." He really got a kick out of that.

The stuff that he would do live and what he'd do on albums was very different. He had a lot of musical knowledge, and some of the scales that he employed onstage were a little more out there. As far as serious rock and roll guitar goes--somebody who's got the sound and uses the [vibrato] bar--I had never really heard anyone apply diminished scales and all that the way he would.
I used to love Pat Thrall's playing with the Pat Travers Band...
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I'm gunna try and make a new list.

1. Randy Rhoads - Definately the greatest guitarist i've ever heard, no-one else comes close. Since i've been listening to his music i've improved a huge amount on guitar, it's unbelievable how much he's helped me. Great tone as well.

2. David Gilmour - Plays with loads of feeling, really cool to listen to.

3. Tony Iommi - Really simple riffs that are all pretty much perfect.

4. Ian Bairnson - I really like his tone and playing (especially on the earlier recordings).

5. Tony MacAlpine - Recently i've been listening to some of his stuff and it's very good.

There are loads of people that i'd like to put in that list but then it wouldn't be in order of how much they influenced me. Glenn Tipton, Uli Jon Roth, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Dave Sabo, EVH, Ace Frehley, Gary Moore, Jake E. Lee, Eric Johnson, Richie Blackmoore, Mick Ronson and Brad Gillis.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RockyRhoads wrote:Billy Gibbons
Stone Gossard
Bruce Fairweather
Keith Wyatt
Mike Wilton/Chris DeGarmo
I went back to check the list I originally posted, and I don't think I'd change it except maybe to add Wolf Marshall next to Keith Wyatt.

Billy Gibbons - Because I love his blues feel and the way he gets such a dirty/funky sound. I love everything he did up to Eliminator and then I feel he lost the plot a bit...

Stone Gossard and Bruce Fairweather - For those who don't know, these guys were the guitarists for Mother Love Bone. I love the feel they had and the way they flowed together. Stone continued some of that in Pearl Jam, but with MLB he was fantastic. Very "different" sounding to my ears.

Keith Wyatt/Wolf Marshall - So much of what I know and the things I've added to my arsenal are due to books and videos by these two men.

Chris DeGarmo/Michael Wilton - I went to high school with the younger siblings of these guys. They are hometown heroes who I had the chance to see rise from playing skating rinks to the world's stages. Randy Rhoads was influential in making me want to play, but Chris and Mike were real world for me. I could actually see and hear two guys from my town who could play on a world class level. They gave me the inspiration to believe that making the dream a reality was possible.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Rocky.....That is a GREAT quote from Pat Thrall....I remember it from years ago when, I believe, it was quoted in "Guitar Player" magazine. I think that's where it was quoted anyway.....He was a fantastic guitarist in his own right, his stuff with Travers was just excellent. I saw that band on 3 different occasions and they were amazing. Tommy Aldridge and Mars Cowling were one incredible rhythm section. Just a great, great band. :shock:
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I don't grind the Axe meself but i know a good guitarist when i hear one or two and the two in question who haven't been mentioned are Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham these two guys are cooking.Thin Lizzy had some of the greats with them Gary Moore,Snowy White and John Sykes.If i had to mention 5 guitarists i'd have to say Randy Rhoads,Gary Moore,Rory Gallagher and Joe Satriani well thats 6 before i get carried away :roll:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Xanadu wrote:Rocky.....That is a GREAT quote from Pat Thrall...

I have an MP3 of the phone interview that quote is from... I'll see if I can find it.
jaymz1968

Post by jaymz1968 »

gary moore-most underrated guitarists in the world today-fast and soulfully great-he is the top of the food chain-

randy rhoads-excellent master of the six string-without him,no guitar playing would of reached the way it is today-ozzy will tell you that also-truly great

kirk hammett/james hetfield -great combo team of musicians-without them-metal would of never be ike it is today-great riffs

jimmy page- great guitarist also-he's not fast but is extremely talented and technical on his les paul-amazing

edward van halen-he might not be on the mainstream -but his work from the begiining to today-he holds up pretty well in all areas -fast-rhythym-you name it-this dude has got the feeling for guitar playing
wyldeman

Post by wyldeman »

Tony Iommi - Invented a whole new style of guitar

Zakk Wylde - Very heavy, fast picking...I love pinch harmonics

Randy Rhoads - I love the classical influence, and the mysterious playing he sometimes put out.

Jimmy page- Brilliant Riffs, did a lot of experimental things nobody else had ever tried.

Jake E Lee - There is little known about him, and he is a mysterious kind of guy, He plays his heart out everytime you see him play.
Jake66

Post by Jake66 »

Steve Jones, from the Sex Pistols,number one for as long as i can remember
Jake E. Lee, I named my son Jake after this guy
Tony Iommi, the godfather of heavy riffs
David Gilmour, the antithesis of the other three!!!?????
Randy Rhoads, no Randy,no Ozzy in my humble opinion.
wasted_beers

Post by wasted_beers »

1. Randy Rhoads - cause he could shred AND play with feel

2. Dave Murray - Gotta love that legato

3. Jimi Hendrix - say no more

4. Ritchie Blackmore - I just love his whole style (plus the solo to highway star)

5. Angus Young - cause most of his riffs look like a child wrote them, and then you try and actually play them and its impossible.
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

1.Randy Rhoads-If it wasn't for him I never would've gotten into metal or become as good as I am now.

2.Steve Clark-Def Leppard-One of my all time favorite bands and I love his style

3.Jake E Lee-Very underrated and is full of talent

4.Dimebag Darrell-PanterA-Damageplan- You gotta admit. He is awesome.

5.Peter Townsend-Thw Who-He is awesome. I love the windmill thing he does.

Others

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Slash
Angus Young
Dimebag Darrell
Ace Frehley
Phill Collen
Kirk Hammett
Brian May
Carlos Cavazo