Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

thepolkadots

Sammy

Post by thepolkadots »

sytharnia
Mass Poster

Re: Sammy

Post by sytharnia »

the guy can play but it was like listening to a midi file....No dynamic's in his playing at all and some of the rhythms and timing were way off
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

sytharnia wrote:the guy can play but it was like listening to a midi file....No dynamic's in his playing at all and some of the rhythms and timing were way off
Hmm... The guy was prettey freekin' good I thought, but to each his own I guess. Care to post any of your playing as comparison? Just sayin..

I thought this guy was pretty amazing, and if they ever thought about making a Randy Rhoads movie (not doc) I would vote this guy to play Randy 110%. He kind of resembles Randy, looks like he's of about the same stature and if he's got any acting ability at all, he wouldn't have to fake the playing!
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

How's his playing of Rhoads compare to Randy Chambers in your opinion?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i remember seeing this kids clip maybe a year ago or 2...i think he was about 15 or 16 when he did this,,,shit i was impressed when i saw it then and i would love to hear him today... i bet hes blazing on the guitar!!!!!!!!thanks for sharing!!!!!
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

there is videos of him on youtube playing in yngwie malmsteen style
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

ah im not into yngwie at all...thanks again though
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

WAR IN D wrote:
sytharnia wrote:the guy can play but it was like listening to a midi file....No dynamic's in his playing at all and some of the rhythms and timing were way off
Hmm... The guy was prettey freekin' good I thought, but to each his own I guess. Care to post any of your playing as comparison? Just sayin..
dude I never said I was better and I did say the guy could play (as we all can with the right amount of practice)........but you didn't hear to obvious mistake in how he played the chorus rhythm for "I don't know"???? and same with "flying high" or the complete lack of feel during the solo's??? he played as if he was reading the notes as he went, which you get when you learn from tab and don't really jam with other players

To me he was boring as bat shit...but if you guys dig it then that's fine
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lol!!!!!!!!i was bieng nice but hey he was a bit stiff playing..i get what your saying as far as that goes
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

sytharnia wrote:dude I never said I was better and I did say the guy could play (as we all can with the right amount of practice)........but you didn't hear to obvious mistake in how he played the chorus rhythm for "I don't know"???? and same with "flying high" or the complete lack of feel during the solo's??? he played as if he was reading the notes as he went, which you get when you learn from tab and don't really jam with other players

To me he was boring as bat shit...but if you guys dig it then that's fine

So, let me get this right... You want to dog him for being too "mechanical" and playing with a lack of feeling, but you're not happy when he embellishes the chorus rhythm a little and tries to maybe add something personal to it? You can't have your cake and eat it too. LOL! I'm not picking at you personally. I just find it humourous when people comment about someone's playing and aren't prepared to let their own bits hang in the breeze, so to speak. I'm not ashamed to say I've been playing off and on for close to 30 years and this kid blows me away, especially in the technical aspect of playing. Even when I was serious about it, I was never that good.

If as it was stated that this kid is 15 or 16 when he made this, chances are he's not old enough to know what "feel" is in his playing. But with his technical abilities at that age, he's got time to learn "feel" as age and experience will no doubt provide that. No matter how you slice it, the guy has skills. Nuff said.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

got to agree with you on that d this guy is incredible!!!!!i got a feeling we will be seeing more of him in the future!!hes way too good for his age!!!!!!!!!!!!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

WAR IN D wrote:So, let me get this right... You want to dog him for being too "mechanical" and playing with a lack of feeling, but you're not happy when he embellishes the chorus rhythm a little and tries to maybe add something personal to it? You can't have your cake and eat it too. LOL! I'm not picking at you personally. I just find it humourous when people comment about someone's playing and aren't prepared to let their own bits hang in the breeze, so to speak. I'm not ashamed to say I've been playing off and on for close to 30 years and this kid blows me away, especially in the technical aspect of playing. Even when I was serious about it, I was never that good.

If as it was stated that this kid is 15 or 16 when he made this, chances are he's not old enough to know what "feel" is in his playing. But with his technical abilities at that age, he's got time to learn "feel" as age and experience will no doubt provide that. No matter how you slice it, the guy has skills. Nuff said.
well if you call playing the actually rhythm part wrong then shit he was totally unique and had "feel" to burn then :roll: ...

and i'm like you I've been playing for 20plus yrs and was never that good technically and could never be arsed practicing enough to get there....

that's the thing about the internet isn't it, if you feel the need to share then you gotta be prepared to take a hit or 2 right??
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

sytharnia wrote:well if you call playing the actually rhythm part wrong then shit he was totally unique and had "feel" to burn then :roll: ...

and i'm like you I've been playing for 20plus yrs and was never that good technically and could never be arsed practicing enough to get there....

that's the thing about the internet isn't it, if you feel the need to share then you gotta be prepared to take a hit or 2 right??
So, since Randy played different numerous fills/additions and more than likely changed up little bits of the songs from night to night playing them in a live setting, you're saying he was playing the songs "wrong" then? Good God, we can't have that!! LOL! Ultimately, music is about individualism and creativity. While this kid is playing the music of someone else, if he wants to play that part of the song that way who are we to say he's "wrong". Randy did it to his own songs in a live setting every night, not to mention the Black Sabbath songs. Oh my, hold on a second... That means Randy played the Black Sabbath songs.... ***dramatic pause*** WRONG!! ***gasp*** At least by your definition. Heaven forbid a Tony Iommi fan happens to be lurking here, he might blow a gasket! :roll:

I will agree with you though, if you put youself out there then expect to be critiqued... I guess the same could be said with regard to posts on internet forums as well, eh? I just "personally" couldn't find anything to really to critique about this guys playing, especially when the fact is that if he and I were in the same room together and I had the audacity to tell him his playing lacked "feeling".. He would wipe the floor with me technically. Let me ask you this.. Would you "cut heads" with him in a live situation? I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you're answer is no, then you really don't have a leg to stand on with regard to knocking him for this playing. Or am I wrong?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

WAR IN D wrote:So, since Randy played different numerous fills/additions and more than likely changed up little bits of the songs from night to night playing them in a live setting, you're saying he was playing the songs "wrong" then? Good God, we can't have that!! LOL! Ultimately, music is about individualism and creativity. While this kid is playing the music of someone else, if he wants to play that part of the song that way who are we to say he's "wrong". Randy did it to his own songs in a live setting every night, not to mention the Black Sabbath songs. Oh my, hold on a second... That means Randy played the Black Sabbath songs.... ***dramatic pause*** WRONG!! ***gasp*** At least by your definition. Heaven forbid a Tony Iommi fan happens to be lurking here, he might blow a gasket! :roll:

Let me ask you this.. Would you "cut heads" with him in a live situation? I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you're answer is no, then you really don't have a leg to stand on with regard to knocking him for this playing. Or am I wrong?
I'll answer the last bit first.....yes I would "cut heads" with him in a live situation because while he would kill me with technique I am very comfortable with the stuff I can do

The playing wrong thing has nothing to do with "fills/additions" it has to do with playing the entire part of the songs wrong....If you listen to the bit in "I don't know" (just before the solo) by itself outside of the context of the rest of the song you couldn't tell me what song it was (listen to the way zakk plays the first riffs in "believer" on budakon DVD.....he does a couple of notes different in the second part and it sounds shit)

clearly we are hearing different things with the guys playing which is fine..........and at least we can agree the warren demartini is the MAN :wink:
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

sytharnia wrote:clearly we are hearing different things with the guys playing which is fine..........and at least we can agree the warren demartini is the MAN :wink:
LOL! True that. 8)