Favorite classical/flamenco guitarists

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tedeeoo
Madman

Favorite classical/flamenco guitarists

Post by tedeeoo »

Seeing as how we have a flamenco player "in the house" now (and we are glad to have you Ruben) and how Capt. Matt is such an accomplished classical player, I thought it would be interesting to see who some of our favorite flamenco/classical players are.
I just love flamenco guitar (although I can't play it very well), 2 of my favorite players are Paco de Lucia and Juan Serrano, admittedly I am not as familiar with some of the classical players (sorry Matt) but I have always liked the things I have heard by Segovia. Some of you who are very well versed on Randy's favorites should tell us who he liked also.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

As far as flamenco players go, I LOVE Paco Pena!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_lga1Iw24
An absolute monster guitarist who doesn't get the props he deserves cause Paco de Lucia and his weird faces steal the show (he's still great though, don't get me wrong, LOL).

I also like Sabicas. A true master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UizR_9aTnxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VROY01 ... re=related

Paco Pena does a similar version of ^:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNfwInxcqoo

Classical players I like: John Williams, Julian Bream, Leona Boyd. 8)
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Oh yes, Sabicas is fantastic!! I'll have to check out Paco Pena when I get home (can't get on Youtube here at work).
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't think Rodrigo is a guitarist...I think he's just a composer and pianist. But yes, he is magnificent as well!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

:shock:

I have seen that before. He definitely has skills! But I don't see how what he's playing is flamenco, even though that's how he's passing himself off as. No golpes, no rasgueados, no alzapua...no real tremolos. Just lots of picado.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

NicDots wrote::shock:
No golpes, no rasgueados, no alzapua...no real tremolos. Just lots of picado.
+1

He certainly isn't a classical guitarist either. No dynamics, tonal changes etc. If I am honest, as a piece of music it is a bit thin in my opinion, BUT very inspiring as a piece to better oneself LOL

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Firstly I am excited too that Ruben is here. He is a professor of guitar too in case you didn't know!

After Classical... folk music; and by folk I mean gypsy jazz, flamenco, blues etc are my favourite musics! A part from Randy, rock hasn't moved me for decades.
I know he isn't flamenco, but I do admire John McLaughlin a great deal and I love Paco de Lucia's heartfelt playing. Julian Bream, Marcelo Kayeth, Carlos Bonell and Logan Gabriel are my favourite Classical Guitarists.

Logan posts here sometimes and is a very romantic player.
http://www.myspace.com/logangabrielguitarist

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Since you mentioned it Matt, who are some of your favorite blues players (I know it should be a new thread) ? Being from Mississippi and growing up playing blues I will be extremely interested in your reply, and anyone else who wishes to comment, to this.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

And can anyone tell us some of Randy's favorite classical players?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

tedeeoo wrote:Since you mentioned it Matt, who are some of your favorite blues players (I know it should be a new thread) ? Being from Mississippi and growing up playing blues I will be extremely interested in your reply, and anyone else who wishes to comment, to this.
Hi Ted

They are not all famous 'name' musicians I admire, but some of my blues heroes are Jeff Healey, Big Bill Bronzy, Robert Cray, Robert Johnson, BB King, John Mayall and recently Seasick Steve. He is just amazing!!

There is a guy who plays every weekend at a blues bar in Bristol (near Wales) I know just as Steve from his guitar store Treble Rock. I am in awe of his blues guitar skills and hold him in the same regard as the guys above. Ted! and jeez could Jimi Hendrix play the blues??!!!! The posthumous release of the Hendrix blues album was FANTASTIC 8)

Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Hi Matt,

I was interested to hear which type of players you would like, more modern players of more traditional blues players. If you grow up in Mississippi playing guitar as I did, then you have to be influenced by B.B. King, I love his playing (especially early B.B., "How Blue Can You Get" live from Sing,Sing prison is some of the best playing I've ever heard) but it is his singing that blows me away, great goodness what a huge voice. I have always been a huge fan of Robert Johnson also, there was such an aggression in his slide playing that influenced me so, actually that is what draws me to most guitar players I like, if I can hear that aggression and attitude in their playing, especially in their pick hand, I got that from Robert. My friend James and I like to call it "grease", you know you can cook all healthy and whatnot (and that is a good thing by the way) but if you really want something to taste good you got to add some grease, (hey, I grew up in the south and my mom can cook REALLY good, lol). Robert had alot of grease. Some of my other favorites are Freddie King, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, SRV, and I just love Robert Cray's playing, he is so note perfect. Jeff Healey was really good at taking blues to a slightly different place and Jeff could play anything he wanted to, he was an amazing guitar player. Jimi Hendrix was probably first and foremost a blues player, and yes he played blues extremely well. Actually, everything Jimi played was so from the heart and that to me is the whole essence of blues, really all music should be that way.

Ted
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Oh, and I have to mention these 2 guys when it comes to blues also (albiet in a rock context), Billy Gibbons is a great blues player, he has such great tone when he plays slide (or anything else for that matter), and he has such a reverence for those who did it before him. And I have always loved to hear Jimmy Page play blues,I always thought he did it better than all of the guys that came from that era (with the exception of Jimi), when he chose to.