Just read this, please

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Just read this, please

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, I couldn't think of a catchy title for this post, sorry.

We've all done the 'which guitarists most influenced you' threads. And 'who is your favorite', blah, blah, blah.

I am wondering, OTHER THAN RANDY, what guitarist you would most like to play like. Not necessarily who influenced your style, but who you would like to be able to emulate the best

For me it would be Joe Perry and Slash. I prefer their styles (which are very similar) and would love to be able to play and write like them. In addition, I'd like to be able to play and write like Warren Di Martini and CC Deville.

Warren's work with Ratt was great 99.9% of the time and CC always managed to write catchy stuff with solos that just fit perfectly.

I love Randy's playing, but I don't think I'd like to play like him when writing my own stuff. Slash, Joe, Warren and CC, however are 'me' as far as what I wish I could do.
frankus

Post by frankus »

i wish i could nail that type of jake e lee vibrato and have his riff writing skill

frank
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Hey Frankus, it's nice to know at least one person was willing to respond :D
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Maybe Eric Clapton for me. Those class A bends and cool phrasing 8)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

In my personal song writing I can't stand it if my playing comes across sounding too much like somebody else. I don't listen to metal anymore because I'm in a metal band writing metal music and I don't want my riff ideas being tainted by what I've been listening to.

But there is one solo by Yngwie, that if I could pull any lead off just like the guy who wrote it, it is the interlude and solo to Yngwie's song Liar on Trilogy.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

If I could have anyone's technical skills it would unquestionably be Paul Gilbert, he can do anything he chooses to do with a guitar in the context of rock music. As far as a player that just reaches out and grabs you, it would only be Jake E. Lee, there is so much fire in his playing, as well as tecnical ability and tons of versatility. Of course that's just the rock players, I would also love to have Paco De Lucia's chops playing flamenco guitar, Paco is the man!!!! If I had to pick just one though, it would be my best friend James Edwards, he is the best guitar player I have ever heard in my entire life, and unlike all of these truly great players I listen to and read about and maybe get to see live, I've been able to watch and learn from him face to face for the last 20 years.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I thought I had responded to this earlier...guess not!

Here is who'd like to play like at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VROY01EAg
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Oh c'mon Nic, no pinch harmonics, no tapping, no feedback squeals? What's the point ;)

Seriously though, that style of guitar is amazing, I'll never be at that level. If you were to give an honest appraisal, how close are you to that type of performance, Nic?
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

I'd say paul any of the following, (in no particular order)

Jake E Lee
Steve Vai
Joe Satrani
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Clapton
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Michael Schenker (late seventies, early eighties area)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Oh c'mon Nic, no pinch harmonics, no tapping, no feedback squeals? What's the point ;)

Seriously though, that style of guitar is amazing, I'll never be at that level. If you were to give an honest appraisal, how close are you to that type of performance, Nic?
LOL, uh, no where close. My teacher thinks my tremolo picking is very good for how long I've been playing, but still...Sabicas is a fucking ARTEEST. I've shown this video to several metalheads and they nearly crapped themselves while staring on in wide eyed awe.
I think about back when I was 13 or whenever, when I got really into metal. I don't imagine I ever thought that I'd be flamenco obsessed 10 years later.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASF0GgUfb4

Cause you need more Sabicas!

Whyfore you put the fiddle down, Alex?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

This is a wonderful clip you posted Nicole. it is not actually the playing that has amazed me, but the piece itself and how on just on a few chords, an epic work has been created! Absolutely stunning and favourited on my youtube. Cheers Nicole

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt