randy chambers

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rreza

Post by rreza »

Hi Jay

Here's a video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_aKaISgrnY

I've been playing for over 25 years and have heard opinions on my playing from one end of the spectrum to the other. I've learned to accept opinions as opinions. If someone says I suck, then that just means there's room for improvement. There's no such thing as perfection, just practice and get better at what you love - be it music, art or whatever.

Peace guys,
RR
rreza

Post by rreza »

Another correction I'd like to make. I didn't take Randy's quote and apply to Chambers' tribute, I was replying to the post above the post where I mentioned what Randy once said.

"The best way to be like Randy is to not be like him and follow your own way IMHO Smile" - Cpt Matt Sparrow
"Cpt Matt Sparrow - I agree 100000% with your last comment - 'The best way to be like Randy is to not be like him and follow your own way.' Randy always taught his students to create their own identity." - rreza
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

Great video and I'll exercise my freedom of speech too :) sounded great! How about pluggin in and letting her rip(I'm no good with recording thats all I can do.......RAW) I enjoyed the whole thing.
rreza

Post by rreza »

Thanks Jay, I really appreciate it man. Randy is so near and dear to my heart - very hard to explain as it is with all of his fans. I have never joined a forum before; I just kind of shy away from this kind of stuff. I love to read 'em though but figured with this one I finally had others to talk Randy stuff about. I came off sounding like a jerk and didn't mean to - I'm just crappy with words I guess. That's why I just play. :)

When I get some time, I'd like to do another of a few songs from the King Biscuit Montreal show - hopefully within the next couple months.

I love that this forum exists and hope to learn alot about Randy Rhoads from it, and also share some stuff.

Take care,
RR
((CHAMBERS))

Post by ((CHAMBERS)) »

rreeza,
I feel exactly the same about your playing as you do about mine. I watched the video and it sounds like it was played with a straight face. Pretty cool that you would post a video though after being critical. I can respect that. I do like a couple of the pinched harmonics you did on that 2nd solo.

You did a RR tribute or you were in a Ozzy band? Do you have any live video or audio?

It`s weird and even embarrassing that this thread had to come back up. Maybe it should be in the off topic section. I dont even do the tribute anymore.. ..and this ain`t helping me move on..lol

myspace.com/randytributeband
rreza

Post by rreza »

Thanks for the feedback, gives me something to shoot for there. It actually was played with a straight face as I was frustrated with the CPU overloading while recording this on my old G4. :) I need a new machine bad.

I was in a RR tribute called Blizzard back in the 90s. We only played during March of every year. I actually got a call back from Tony Dennis after submitting a tape to OzzY when they were looking for a guitar player after Zakk left. We were on and off the phone for about a week, then they ended up getting Joe Holmes. Woulda been nice to be in the band.

Anyway, I purposely did not re-open or restart this thread. This is the very first forum I've ever joined in my 42 years on this planet and I was just perusing through topics and put my two cents in. And look where it got me! :(

Good luck to you Randy in whatever you do. You're a great player and would do justice to any project.

Peace,
RR
frankus

Post by frankus »

muchos kudos to you guys for sorting out your tiff.

randy what was it like being expected to give a show where you had to be Randy Rhoads? has the reputation you have gained for being a great tribute guitarist helped or hindered being randy chambers

peace

Frank
((CHAMBERS))

Post by ((CHAMBERS)) »

haha..yeah rrezza and I are good. no ultimate fighting challenge needed here :)

Frank your 1st question is a loaded question. I`m not sure how to answer that.
I can say that it was like living a childhood dream in a way., Some of the shows were amazing. We were a part in a resurgence of the memory of RR and we were making new RR fans and some said they forgot how much they loved RR and that music. . We reached people who dont travel these circles. When we had bad shows I`d feel like a failure being that us RR fans expect alot and only want RR reprented in a positive light....that was alot of pressure and a big responsibility. Promoters were not interested in a Randy Rhoads Tribute so we went against the grain most of the time . I wish we couldve done the tribute as a proffession for this past 2 years so we couldve put more time into it so we were a tighter band.. Also wish I stuck to one band being that having two bands is like having two girlfriends..it dosent work. It was awesome to walk out with those guitars and white Marshalls.. Most of the gear I used belongs to Halorising.. I first seen his Marshall at the cemetary on the 25 anniversary ...before I knew him. I was in awe just looking at that thing... it was like a miracle.. I though it was Randy`s amp at the time... I eventually met Halo and we hit it off I and learned he was on a similar mission as me. Just seeing RR`s rig setup on the stage is a mindblow.. The amps are not the RR1959 Marshall ...They are the originals..just like RR`s. So at that time you couldnt just buy a white Marshall. So if I was having a bad show or moments you still had some amazing gear to look at...lol

As for 2nd question ..its helped and hindered.. I was working on a album when I started the tribute and building a following. I thought I could do both but soon realized I couldnt... RR was becoming a big part of my self image... I was going in two diferent directions.. So I put off my original project. I knew it was the right time to do the Tribute with the 25th anniversary approaching. Once this started to take off after a slow start some amazing things started happening. Now that I`m done with the Trib I`m finding my way back to my style. The big challenge now is shedding the RR style.
Will anyone take me seriously as a original artist.? I dont know know know echo. I went back to my roots and it`s givien me some good inspiration ... so I think it `s helped me...however just the fact that this thread was removed off the main section to this section might indicate that it`s hindered me... lol

chambers
rreza

Post by rreza »

Yeah, we're all good - no need for UFC, maybe KFC. :)

I would love to play through that original white Marshall. Did that have Altecs as well? I have a mid 80s Burny Randy Rhoads model LP and a Jackson LTD #021 w/vintage trem - both very sweet gutars. I saw the Rhoads To Ozz vid that Matt linked up a day ago I believe - really good band there. The bass player and drummer held it down nicely for you to whip out the Rhoads licks.

RR
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Randy

That was a fascinating read. Being interested in theology the 'loaded question' made me think of an answer being "render unto Randy what is Randy's" from the New Testament LOL.
Look at the positives, everyone on here, and other RR forums, knows who you are and your playing... That surely is a good start! Will people take you seriously? I think if the material you produce is good then yes they will definitely, because the artist you tributed was a serious one too.

To use Trigger's idea about UR, but to apply it to yourself and many of us here, Randy is a catalyist for other things. I mean that in a 'moving on' type way of "other things".
This is why UR suited and suits my ideology of Randy, because as much as I love the escapism of playing along to a Mr Crowley backing track (don't laugh LOL), I am more interested in peoples inspiration and originality from Randy rather than the looking back aspects of Randy and emulating him.

I don't mean the emualtion applying to you Randy, as it was a job, I mean it to people who are forging themselves ahead in t he music world and who have no desire, as an artist, to be them selves. That is fine I suppose as a bobbyist, but as a musician not so good. I think in any art individuality is everything.

I will watch what you do wth interest. I have always enjoyed your videos and chatted to Jeff on Myspace and youtube and know what you are capable my friend!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

((CHAMBERS)) wrote:however just the fact that this thread was removed off the main section to this section might indicate that it`s hindered me... lol
I thought I would help you out a bit! :lol:
Thanks for sharing your story & btw: welcome aboard! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
((CHAMBERS))

Post by ((CHAMBERS)) »

Thanx Dutch..

And Matt... I suppose it could be a good springboard for my music and it might give me an advantage.

reeeza.. glad you liked the RTO video.. that is my personal favorite video from RTO... we were firing on all cylynders on that one. My hands were cut up at that show and I was bleeding on the guitars so I couldnt dig in on that solo like I wouldve liked to.. :x
I dont like most of the RTO videos .. it wasnt my band and so I had v little or no control over what got posted on youtube which is one of the main reasons I left the band back in December.

I was looking to get one of those Burny`s early on figuring I couldnt afford a Gibson along w/ all the other gear that I needed.

Yes the Marshalls have Altecs.

Their are tenative plans to do more RR shows in 3 years... but only if it can better than it was. ...and maybe we will do a one off show here and there... but not anytime soon.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah it has got to be said that any musicians who can get up on a stage and cover a bands material. Then to play it so tight that you'd think it was the original thing up on the stage. It's a good thing for anyone who is doing it, plus its really good for the likes of the younger generation who may have missed out on seeing the likes of RR Live. But for everyone who is listening out with a critical ear to see if that solo is going to be note for note perfect or done to that players liking ?. Thats the only downside to this. You have got to be 100% or very close to be appreciated. I cannot believe bands like 'Magic' Queen tribute and Australia's Pink Floyd who are selling out big venues doing a tribute act. But if they didn't shine they wouldn't be up there doing it..
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

((CHAMBERS)) wrote:Yes the Marshalls have Altecs.
Hey Randy,
Was wondering, how do you like the Altecs compared with Celestions?
I asked this because the Altecs always get bad rap from Vintage amp folkes.....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
((CHAMBERS))

Post by ((CHAMBERS)) »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
((CHAMBERS)) wrote:Yes the Marshalls have Altecs.
Hey Randy,
Was wondering, how do you like the Altecs compared with Celestions?
I asked this because the Altecs always get bad rap from Vintage amp folkes.....

Altecs and Celestions are so night and day. Randys setup on paper just shouldnt work.. extremely bright speakers through a very bright amp . ..yuk ..yett it sounds great with that mid punch and cutting low end. I think that the Altec speakers are more crucial to the RR tone than the Marshall Amps. ...at least for the Blizzard era.

The downside is that they can be a bit shrill and rough on the ears when cranked. . If I could desribe them in one word it would be "presence".

I`m debating whether to dare use one for my session next week for my album being that I want to have a tone that`s unique to me. I might try mixing the Altec with something radically different like a Jensen p12n which is similar to a Celestion Blue which you may know is the speaker Brian May uses. ...then addi in a speaker with a lot of bottom.

The only thing I wont miss about doing the RR shows is moving Altec loaded 4x12`s.. It`s like moving big screen TV`s...the old kind.