The Doors

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

The Doors

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Are there any other Doors fans here?

They are one of my favourite bands. I love the way the music has all the drama of metal but without then distortion etc.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Doors were incredible. Jim Morrison is, by far, my favorite rock singer. The band was great as well. I find Robbie Krieger's guitar playing to be exceptional. He is so unorthodox, yet everything he played fit perfectly into those songs.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Paul

Yeah Robbie is just Robbie, there is no one like him.

I love each one of them. And yes Jim Morrison was an amazing singer. Passionate and very rock n roll.

Rock n' roll spirit is in short supply these days. I love hearing Been Down So Long, LA Woman, Crystal Ship up full while playing pool!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I love songs like, The Unknown Soldier, Moonlight Drive and When the Music's Over... People Are Strange is almost the perfect song.

Did you ever see the movie, The Doors starring Val Kilmer? Watch that movie and then watch clips of Morrison... Mr. Kilmer did an amazing job with his performance in that film.

Val:

Jim:

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah Paul i think the Doors film did a great thing to bring on a new dimension of fans.Oliver Stone who directed that film really did a great job to bring to life Jim Morrison who was going to be originaly played by John Travolta.The Cult's front man Ian Asbury was another contender for the part but he didn't have tha acting experience to full fill the job.But funnily enough he ended up playing the part on tour singing for the Doors a few years back.It's funny the connection with Vietnam films with Oliver Stone's Platoon and Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now both using the Doors tunes.I suppose it was the time during the 60's - 70's music that made these films and 'the End' was well used in Apocalypse Now..
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

A great book to read is by Patricia Keneally's book about her time with Jim.

She was outraged by Stone's film because it only showed the sensational side of Jim and claimed there were many times they did things like have tea and toast in bed (LMAO that is hard to imagine)

but I know there were many different sides to him and I think Jim was definitely a bi polar sufferer with other things too.

Stone (according to Patricia) promised to show the handfasting wedding scene in it's entirety and even got her to be the scene as an elder.

When Stone had it as a part of a montage scene with Not To Touch The Earth (wow what a song!!) in the back ground and showed scenes of him drunk in a car driving out of control and burning Pam in a cupboard, she was as mad as hell

I love the Doors movie. On the extras Robbie Krieger actually jams Love Me Two Times with some of the crew!!!

Matt
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I like them! I think they really had a unique sound!
I really like how Ray Manzerek added all those nice hammond tunes.
Crystal ship is one of my favorites.
The movie is great too!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Here is Patricia's book

Strange Days-My Life With and Without Jim Morrison
http://www.rambles.net/kennealy_strange.html

I have read Break On Through, No One Gets Out Here Alive and The Lizard King and this is the best written.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I forgot to mention the lyrics, listen for instance to "People are strange" , brilliant! 8)
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I liked everything about The Doors except Jim Morrison.
Actually, JM in the studio was great...but live? Don't dig him.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Since I wrote this we went to see Riders On The Storm, which is basically The Doors minus Jim and John Densmore.

Robbie Krieger and Ray wer absolutely great, well to be fair the whole band were! Robbie used tapping even in his solos (very stylistically out of character)

Also Robbie had his own solospot where he played 10 minutes of blissful Spanish Guitar.

I have my own phone video but rather than my poor recording,check this recent one out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc36YCvcNdc

Yes, the singer is a real clone..a good thing? opinions?

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I don't know about that... all these years later and still rehashing what they did in the 60's? I think I'd rather see them moving on and creating new music and leaving the Doors in the past. Like McCartney et al did with the Beatles. I hate to see great musicians abandon their creativity and stagnate on one period of their lives. I can't imagine Jim Morrison doing a Doors reunion tour... it's totally against the creative flow they had going in the late sixties.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

My brain agrees but my heart loved the gig! :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:My brain agrees but my heart loved the gig! :)
That's how I'd be at a Van Halen reunion with David Lee Roth, I'd love to see them move ahead, but it'd be cool to relive the glory as well.

Yes, Frank, Jim wrote some brilliant stuff. I always liked this line from Roadhouse Blues:

Well, I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer
The future's uncertain, and the end is always near

As John Densmore said in his book, Riders on the Storm, that line sums up Jim Morrison's life.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Matthew wrote:My brain agrees but my heart loved the gig! :)
That's how I'd be at a Van Halen reunion with David Lee Roth, I'd love to see them move ahead, but it'd be cool to relive the glory as well.

Yes, Frank, Jim wrote some brilliant stuff. I always liked this line from Roadhouse Blues:

Well, I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer
The future's uncertain, and the end is always near

As John Densmore said in his book, Riders on the Storm, that line sums up Jim Morrison's life.
I haven't read John Densmore's one.

Of the ones I read I found No One Gets Out Here Alive like a sensationalised account that was unconvincing, Break On Through was superb and very well written, Lizard King was good but my favourite for it's real intamacy and also for be brave enough to try and paint a picture of Jim Morision the man, was Patricia Keneally's My life With and Without Jim Morrison.

She had a cameo in Stone's movie in the handfasting scene and was apalled how it was cut into a montage section.

She also speaks of many moments that may not please the Jim Morrison wannabes, of them having toast and tea in bed together.

It mentions also a very sensitive side to him.

Matt