Anyone in a band?

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ell
Mass Poster

Anyone in a band?

Post by Ell »

I've noticed that there are a lot of guitarists on this site so i'm just wondering whether anyone is in any bands. Please name your band name and what kind of music you play, stuff like that.

At the moment i'm in a band called Poseidon, we are pretty much a mix of power metal NWOBHM and just metal I guess. Our sound is most like Judas Priest's Painkiller album. We haven't made any albums yet...
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

I kinda was. Even though they only played pop and nu-metal, which I was getting pissed off with anyway. Then they kinda just ditched me for another bass player without telling me. They ever ask me to play for them, I'll tell em no!

There's a girl in the year above me who's a great guitarist, I wanna.....amn it how do I make this sound right.....perform some songs (there we go) with her. We could do crazy train hehe
[img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6482/randysig2text2ho.png[/img]
Wind is high, so am I, as the shore sinks in the distance
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

That's cool, if you losen her G string you and her could do some hot licks and practise fingering patterns :oops: :D . Opps that came out even more wrong! :oops: I guess she's into Ozzy and Randy stuff then since you said you could do crazy train, that's cool.

I personally think you're better off not being in a nu-metal and pop band :D

So you know a guitarist eh, know any drummers who you can jam with?
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

She likes loads of rock, AC/DC, Black Sabbath y'know that sorta stuff.

as for drummers, there's a guy in our year, but he dislikes me for some reason. A guy in the year below is good. And he loves me so haha (because of my hair colour)

Reminds me of what this other guitarist girl I know once said. "I broke my g-string fingering a minor" :lol:
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Hahahahaha :D, i'm gunna remember that one.

Good old Sabbath :D, if she likes both Sabbath and AC/DC i'm guessing she may have an SG somewhere :D.

Good luck with the younger drummer, 2 years age difference between him and the guitarist I guess!

At the moment we've got a 6 string funk bassist for a drummer. He has great rhythm, is really into prog (so quite technical) and has his own kit, rehearsal place and recording equipment so for us he's kind of perfect. Make sure you choose the right drummer though because I once heard somewhere that a band with a great drummer is a great band but a great band with a not so great drummer is not a great band or something along those lines, it's right though I suppose.
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

arrrgh I need more bleedin scales that fit with the songs! :lol:

We're all pretty close actually, the 3 years. Most people know eachother. He liekd the Tommy Adlridge solo I sent him hehe.

Actually the guitarist just got a new £700 Ibanez. Not sure what type, but it looks awesome
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I was in a band with a very talented finger picker (Nick), his brother on drums (Chris) and no bass guitarist (oh well), me on lead. We were dubbed to win the battle of the bands about 2 years ago, as every other band were playing stuff like 7 Nation Army by White Stripes or Smells like teen spirit. Our band learnt Stairway to heaven. Nick learnt the finger picking part and i learnt the solo. We were like sure to win it. Three days before we were due to play Stairway to Heaven, Nick and I had an argument and there was my battle of the bands dream going down the drain.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Ah that sucks, do you know if the band who won in the end were any good?

You can always enter again in the future though right?

I recently lost in a battle of the bands competition apparently because my amp was too quiet. I was really annoyed with myself afterwards. We were the only band who wrote our own song as well and so I was even more annoyed with myself because that must have surely got us some points.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

basically. with battle of the bands, you have no chance to run a soundcheck :(
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

yeah :(, we stood a chance, if only eh, just one of those things. I'll probably re-enter with Poseidon next year and remember to bring a bigger amp so that I at least have a chance.
Last edited by Ell on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

We just had this random assembly and we had to do a filler song. Guess what? Smells liek teen spirit.....woo joy

I'm never playing that again...it broke my A-string when we played it there. Everyone screwed up anyway.
Follis
Cool Member

Post by Follis »

I was in a band called Blackout but was kicked out a month or so ago due to 'artistic differences', i.e. I wanted to play heavy metal. Now, I've got a new band with a great guitar player (a HUGE Randy fan, too) & we're performing in a Battle of the Bands on Friday with my old band.

Their Set:
Can't Stop (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
When I Come Around (Green Day)
Freebird (Lynryd Skynyrd)

Ours:
Highway to Hell
Crazy Train
Sweet Child o Mine

'nuff said.