Post by highpriestess »

anyone else dig this dude?

I actually really, really like the kid.
highpriestess
Madman

Post by highpriestess »

come ON, how can you people not like the little Finnish dude?!?!? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRgIu2bbeY

not to mention i'd like to take him DOWN to chinatown...... if ya know what i mean *purrr*
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I so agree with you on both counts. :P
Badass guitar player and a oddly attractive man.
I knew I was in love when I saw him play Vivaldi on guitar. 8)

He's one of the few 'new guys' to come out that I really like.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Alexi Laiho

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

highpriestess wrote:anyone else dig this dude?

Yes I do! 8)
But I have to say I like his songwriting better than his solos.
Got the "Chaos Ridden years" dvd and I like it a lot, lots of Ozzy and Zakk influences there too. COB is a great band!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I just wish he'd get over the poser look.

Yeah, I know you guys will blast me for this, but every time I look at him I see "wannabe". I think it's the "bad ass" look on his face and body language and that guitar that comes across as a ripoff of Randy's first Jackson.

He's a good player (I hate using the term "great" for everyone) and a good songwriter, but, to me, he's nothing special. In the '80's there were loads of talented guitar players/songwriters, so my opinion of young guys today is tainted.

I'd like to see him break him out of the death/black metal genre and show off his songwriting talent in a more mainstream environment - just to see if he could do it. I don't mean "sell out". Randy was the metal guitarist and his songwriting included a lot of more "poppy" material. If this kid could do that, I'd be a lot more impressed.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
highpriestess
Madman

Post by highpriestess »

i disagree, Paul. Randy's music was a little "poppy" - but the times were different back then. This isn't 1980 anymore, ya know? COB is a young band geared towards a younger crowd, and i think they do a great job at what they do. i went to see them and that's the first time i have been to a show in a loooonnnnnngggg time where the crowd was thick from stage all the back back to the door and fists and horns could be seen waving above the crowd from stage to door... and the crowd was just MOVING. i loved it... reminded me of the 80's when concerts were EVENTS, ya know?

As for his guitar? i think it's flattering. I think he did it that way because technically he prefers to play a jackson rhoads... but his were stolen right before tour and it was when fender just bought out jackson so he was told by fender they could not have his customs made before the tour... so ESP came in and said "hey... we can..." so, keeping his loyalties to the rhoads, and because ESP had to change the shape a little and make alterations due to copyrights and patents, he opted to have it painted like randy's. Personally, i think that was a very cool thing for him to do.

i think he is old school and i wish more of the newbies were more like him.

And i see randy all over his playing.... rhoads and malmsteen with some dimebag darrell dive bombs thrown in for good measure. Those are some damn good influences, i think "the elders" would be proud. Darrell LOVED him, i know that for sure.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

highpriestess wrote:i disagree, Paul. Randy's music was a little "poppy" - but the times were different back then. This isn't 1980 anymore, ya know? COB is a young band geared towards a younger crowd, and i think they do a great job at what they do. i went to see them and that's the first time i have been to a show in a loooonnnnnngggg time where the crowd was thick from stage all the back back to the door and fists and horns could be seen waving above the crowd from stage to door... and the crowd was just MOVING. i loved it... reminded me of the 80's when concerts were EVENTS, ya know?

As for his guitar? i think it's flattering. I think he did it that way because technically he prefers to play a jackson rhoads... but his were stolen right before tour and it was when fender just bought out jackson so he was told by fender they could not have his customs made before the tour... so ESP came in and said "hey... we can..." so, keeping his loyalties to the rhoads, and because ESP had to change the shape a little and make alterations due to copyrights and patents, he opted to have it painted like randy's. Personally, i think that was a very cool thing for him to do.

i think he is old school and i wish more of the newbies were more like him.

And i see randy all over his playing.... rhoads and malmsteen with some dimebag darrell dive bombs thrown in for good measure. Those are some damn good influences, i think "the elders" would be proud. Darrell LOVED him, i know that for sure.
"The Elders" are not proud one bit; Vinnie Vincent is still waiting for dedication and congrats he deserves from these new shits like Zakk and Darrell (whom even stole a piece from Vinnie's solo note for note :roll: ). Great guitar player, shitty songwriter. Also, if you doubt he is a Vinnie fan, look at his song writing credits... (Lyrics and Music writen by ALexi Laiho). Personally, I prefer his cousin, Nuclear Holocausto of Beherit, and his former band Impaled Nazarene more.

To sum it up so I don't get bashed... John5, Darrell, Zakk, and Alexi especially need to give accolades where they are deserved, and secondly, his only good solo is from Deadnight Warrior. Personally, I'll stick with the guy who was originally given the honor to keep the Randy Rhoads tradition going. Lastly, despite all my bad words for Alexi (like he's a complete ripoff of Vincent, Malmsteen, and Paul Gilbert), his music is still decent to listen to (just not his 'solos').
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Vinnie Vincent? Really?
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Vinnie Vincent? Really?
What exactly are you referring to?
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: Alexi Laiho

Post by siro_angel »

highpriestess wrote:anyone else dig this dude?

Ive just checked out some of Alexi's stuff, he's a good guitar player and good taste in guitars 8)

:P

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

LordThurisaz wrote:
What I was referring to is that I was a BIG KISS fan when Ace finally left and was replaced by Vincent. I listened to what he did with KISS and the Invasion. He was mediocre at best and that "double V" guitar? It was ridiculous in an era when ridiculous was the norm.

He was average as a guitarist, not bad, not great. The '80's spawned hundreds of technically proficient guitar players, many of whom never rose to "god" status. I'd put Vinnie Vincent in that category along with 'Snake' Sabo, Warren DiMartini, John Norum, Ronnie LeTekro...

To say Vinnie is the rightful heir to Randy because he played a Jackson RR model is just silly. He was, and is, a second tier guitarist.

I'd put Alexi in that category as well. A talented player, but until he breaks away from a limited genre, he will not attain 'god' status.

As for my 'pop' statement, listen to Slash's playing or even Zakk's, their playing and songwriting is radio-friendly and therefore accessible to the masses. Just like Randy.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:
What I was referring to is that I was a BIG KISS fan when Ace finally left and was replaced by Vincent. I listened to what he did with KISS and the Invasion. He was mediocre at best and that "double V" guitar? It was ridiculous in an era when ridiculous was the norm.

He was average as a guitarist, not bad, not great. The '80's spawned hundreds of technically proficient guitar players, many of whom never rose to "god" status. I'd put Vinnie Vincent in that category along with 'Snake' Sabo, Warren DiMartini, John Norum, Ronnie LeTekro...

To say Vinnie is the rightful heir to Randy because he played a Jackson RR model is just silly. He was, and is, a second tier guitarist.

I'd put Alexi in that category as well. A talented player, but until he breaks away from a limited genre, he will not attain 'god' status.

As for my 'pop' statement, listen to Slash's playing or even Zakk's, their playing and songwriting is radio-friendly and therefore accessible to the masses. Just like Randy.
God status..? Who gives a shit if he's not Yngwie; I'm tired of hearing about that hack anyways. There is more to shred than Eddie Van Halen (whom I like a lot) and Yngwie.

As for Slash and Zakk.. YAWWWWNNNN! You are aware that Vinnie has Randy influences all over his playing, right? Such as Animal is Vinnie's reworking of the Over the Mountain's solo style, and that little drum playing hyper active muppet. :lol: As far as Ace goes, he is great, but if he hadn't have left, Kiss would'nt have last past 84. Lastly, Warren DeMartini isn't a god? pft, At least he's got his own money and not living in his parents basement, unlike Vito Bratta.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings