Tired of people saying that Hendrix was the best

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

zmack mylde
Cool Member

Tired of people saying that Hendrix was the best

Post by zmack mylde »

What the hell is this about. Why do people say Hendrix was the best.Listen to how sloppy he was. It is obvious that Randy blew him away. Randy was the best.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

How old are you?

This question is based on your perspective of music.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Paul Wolfe wrote:How old are you?

That has no relevance. Listen to the best that Hendrix has to offer than listen to Randys best. Randy blows his ass away by miles.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

zmack mylde wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:How old are you?

That has no relevance. Listen to the best that Hendrix has to offer than listen to Randys best. Randy blows his ass away by miles.
It has all the relevance in the world. People who were guitar fans before Randy came to the fore know that Jimi did things nobody had done before. He was an innovator who changed the way the guitar was played. Eddie Van Halen was the same way - playing changed after he came to people's attention.

Randy Rhoads took things that had been done and improved upon them.Technically he could play better than Hendrix or Van Halen, but he was not as innovative. Ritchie Blackmore did what Randy did first. Uli Roth as well. Randy just did it better than them, in my opinion.

So your age has a lot of relevance, zmack. If you are younger and started listening to music post-Randy, it makes sense that you don't understand Jimi's place in history. If you are older, like me, and remember music prior to 1978, you'd understand how much better Jimi was than any of his contemporaries.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I agree, I'm sick about novices who've never played an instrument their whole lives saying that Hendrix was the best.
I never liked that term 'the best' anyway.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Skully wrote:I agree, I'm sick about novices who've never played an instrument their whole lives saying that Hendrix was the best.
I never liked that term 'the best' anyway.
You're the best Nicole!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

He is one of my favourite players. His improvisations stand alone!

And his compositions are just something else.

Add that to where he was in the late 60's compared to anyone else. He played with so much rock n roll gusto!!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stiltzkin

Re: Tired of people saying that Hendrix was the best

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote:What the hell is this about. Why do people say Hendrix was the best.Listen to how sloppy he was. It is obvious that Randy blew him away. Randy was the best.
well, he's better than you anyway :P
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

Stiltzkin wrote:
zmack mylde wrote:What the hell is this about. Why do people say Hendrix was the best.Listen to how sloppy he was. It is obvious that Randy blew him away. Randy was the best.
So he's not better than Randy
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:
So he's not better than Randy
and who is to decide that ? you ? :lol: :lol:
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Last edited by frank on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

well personaly i think hendrix was great, but also overated.

i think a lot of his popularity came down to his energy, charisma and crazy antics. if you take away the crazy wammy bar tricks, playing the guitar with his teeth etc. the music your left with is not any better (or worse) than that of his contemporaries. the notion that he was leagues ahead is daft IMO, stylisticaly/genericaly he was drasticly different and an inovator but so was clapton years before.

anyhow i dont want to get into a debate about whos best cos theres no answer to that... although if we're talking purely about technique Michael Angelo Batio would probably win hands down.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Frank, I'd love your two cents on this: I believe that when comparing Jimi to Randy, Randy could do things Jimi hadn't even thought of yet, but at the same time, Jimi could probably play things that Randy could not.

Since guitar playing is NOT a competition, it really doesn't matter. Zmack doesn't like Jimi being called "the best", it's a simple matter of opinion.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Last edited by frank on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zmack mylde
Cool Member

Post by zmack mylde »

rice_pudding wrote:well personaly i think hendrix was great, but also overated.

i think a lot of his popularity came down to his energy, charisma and crazy antics. if you take away the crazy wammy bar tricks, playing the guitar with his teeth etc. the music your left with is not any better (or worse) than that of his contemporaries. the notion that he was leagues ahead is daft IMO, stylisticaly/genericaly he was drasticly different and an inovator but so was clapton years before.

anyhow i dont want to get into a debate about whos best cos theres no answer to that... although if we're talking purely about technique Michael Angelo Batio would probably win hands down.
I agree 100% except for that Michael Angelo statement. It's not a question of technique. It's a question of making that guitar sing. And Randy could make that guitar sing like no other.