Tired of people saying that Hendrix was the best

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

NicDots wrote: I seem to recall an interview where someone said Randy had a hard time finding a good Lutheran church while in England, so I assume that he went to church every now and then.
This is very interesting. Cheers for the info and great to see you back Nicole.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:Paul was Randy a believer in God, or a Christian though? I know his back ground like most people was from a Christian family like many people in the Western world.

I remember Frank's post where he described a party he was at, where he spoke with Randy about beliefs; and Randy said God was very important to him. He intimated what was around him was artificial and not of great priority to him (the party).

However Randy, by many recent accounts, didn't live a life that was compatible with him being a practising Christian.

Matt
Randy was Lutheran, which is a denomination of Protestant Christianity.

What about Randy's life was not compatible with being a practicing Christian? He was a musician and a generally good person. Being human, he strayed from perfection, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a practicing Christian. To be Christian means that you believe Jesus was the Son of God and the Way to Heaven. It also means you strive to live your life the way Jesus tells us you should. However, it also means you are forgiven when you fall short. As such, I'd say Randy could have definitely been a practicing Christian.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Matthew wrote:
However Randy, by many recent accounts, didn't live a life that was compatible with him being a practising Christian.

Matt
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Randy was Lutheran, which is a denomination of Protestant Christianity.

What about Randy's life was not compatible with being a practicing Christian?
(Edit-I have been frank here so to make it clear.)

I am referring to incidents in Rudy Sarzo's book and recent accounts of his life.

Do these thing make Randy a bad man?-NO
DO they make him any different from many other young men having the time of their life in their youth?-NO
Do these things bother me?...Nope not one little bit.

I was just a bit baffled this coexisted with a Christian faith that is all.

I am not knocking it. I actually think it makes Randy a far more complex and interesting person than before.

I know this is WAY off topic and merging with the movie talk in general, but I for one would like the eccentricities, contradictions of Randy to be presented...I am not intrested in the doctored image that is so often portrayed.

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Being a Christian is admitting that you have faults and that you messed up. If every Christian was declared no longer because he got drunk and slept with someone who wasn't his girlfriend /wife or played a gross practical joke on another person, there would be very few Christians left.

I consider myself a Christian despite the fact that I've done cocaine and other less glamourous or wonderful things. The fact that I've done wrong things doesn't change my beliefs in the resurrection or the power of God over the universe.
It bothers me when people say "Oh my God, he's getting drunk! No way he's a Christian!" A Christian has faults...which is why he's a Christian in the first place, as he needs God's intervention in the form of Jesus to save him from hell. If someone commits an error, that's not really a good reason to call him a non practitioner of his faith. I wouldn't be happy if someone called me a non Christian just cause I've done blow and gotten drunk before. Regardless, the Bible says that God loves his children and welcomes them back willingly with open arms, even if they run away at first and act like a crazy person (ie. the parable of the prodigal son). Coming back and admitted fault is more important.

Who knows how "devout" Randy was. In RR.tk's Kelli Garni Vs. A bunch of questions, Kelli didn't really go into how religious Randy was. "Randy never really spoke about religeon to me, except when an obligation came up. The religeon was his mother's influence and the good son that he was he did what he had to do to keep her happy. I know though that religeon was a very private thing to him, which is why he never talked about it." - KG at RR.tk

As far as the movie goes, I find myself losing interest with each passing day. Randy's music is the most important and fascinating to me, not his life, his girlfriends, his friends, or his religious practices. The fact that Randy is known for being a nice guy is just a bonus. Even if Randy was a prick, I'd still think Mr. Crowley was an ass kicking song.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote: Even if Randy was a prick, I'd still think Mr. Crowley was an ass kicking song.
Me too Nicole.

Yet again I have found another of your posts leaving me very moved. Thanks for such a great reply.

Mattxx
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

NicDots wrote:As far as the movie goes, I find myself losing interest with each passing day. Randy's music is the most important and fascinating to me, not his life, his girlfriends, his friends, or his religious practices. The fact that Randy is known for being a nice guy is just a bonus. Even if Randy was a prick, I'd still think Mr. Crowley was an ass kicking song.
I have to agree with you 100%, with all the bullshit drama there has been with the people involved with this movie/documentary/soap opera the hypocritical statements by those involved almost all interest is gone for me, of course unless new footage is unearthed then I will be moved to get my hands on that off course.

Music is music the person and stories behind the composer or composition may be interesting but are a very distant back ground thought almost all of the time, music movies me like a story that is intricately told who cares about the story teller, give me his name so that I can gather more of his stories that is what I want.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Peace

I never knew Randy personally but from the people close to him i did know that he was a believer, now you do not have to go to church to be a believer, many go and they do not believe, so for me having faith and understanding the will is enough to earn the keys to peace no matter what monotheist Abrahamic faith you choose., One could never judge a religion by a person's actions but the person by the religion they fallow since the word religion means WAY OF LIFE., but even then we all may take religion the wrong way and too personal.

my opinion,

I mean well for everyone here sharing the inspiration Randy has been., its really cool people still remember him, i have to end this saying that both Hendrix and Rhoads where HIGH CALIBER guitarists no matter what.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If Peter didn't find ways to stir up some drama, people would forget that he's even making the movie. Personally, when (if?) it ever comes out, I think it'll be an interesting way to pass a few hours. Will I have a "ritual" thought out in advance? Hardly. But I'll watch it eventually, provide it happens.

Gabriel, I agree, Hendrix and Rhoads were high caliber and rock music would be far different without their contributions.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:If Peter didn't find ways to stir up some drama, people would forget that he's even making the movie. Personally, when (if?) it ever comes out, I think it'll be an interesting way to pass a few hours. Will I have a "ritual" thought out in advance? Hardly. But I'll watch it eventually, provide it happens.
i still don't get those people at .tk ...
having a ritual for watching a documentary :lol: :?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't know...I find that most RR fans have the memories of elephants. :shock: I think that they'd be able to rattle off Randy's whole effects board as well as the year of production for all of Randy's guitar before they'd remember their license plate number.
I am not one of those types though. I can definitely remember my license plate number after a minute or two of thinking. :lol:
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

NicDots wrote:I don't know...I find that most RR fans have the memories of elephants. :shock: I think that they'd be able to rattle off Randy's whole effects board as well as the year of production for all of Randy's guitar before they'd remember their license plate number.
I am not one of those types though. I can definitely remember my license plate number after a minute or two of thinking. :lol:
Sad but true, he got attracted a crowed with Ozzy like Kiss and Alice Cooper, very few musicians there.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Ur friends

Check this out!!! I was googling the documentary about Jimi (made three years after his death) and instead found this. It is worth watching it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8231715695

It is c.50 minutes long but is 1942-1962 of Jimi Hendrix' biography. The next section of his life is on there too.

Matt
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

yeah man thats the documentary i was referring to with some strange statements and all in my last posts,

I do not KNOW the Hednrix family but over 25 years ago i have met and spoken to Jimi's brother, half brother, father, swedish son, Mitch, Noel and some close friends of Jimi's who are not even in this film you posted the link of, its hard to nail what happened to him because they all where not there when he was taken to the hospital, the one story that still seems to make sense is that he was cut open to die in the hospital bleeding (dead men do not bleed) and Jimmi's manager had ripped of over 20 million dollars, this is why they are all disputing over money for the hired guns in the band Jimi's manager hired, THE EXPERIENCE., i can understand been black and the time this took place.

The RR documentary now is something that is better then nothing, there are things which i like to see in the documentary i am sure you guys would like to know, but its not fair to Ozzy, Sharon, Randy's tech, ex girlfriend or people who fear things would go wrong bringing skeletons out of the closet, i took a look at the photos and interviews with people like Paul Gilbert and other L.A. players and thought to myself wait a minute, why not Roy Buchanon, music teachers, witnesses who et him, his father and half brothers and there mom etc ect, i guess they will come later.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:but its not fair to Ozzy, Sharon, Randy's tech, ex girlfriend or people who fear things would go wrong bringing skeletons out of the closet...
I think that if there are skeletons in the closet that would adversely effect the legacy of Randy, then his mom has done a disservice to him over the years by painting him as an angel. Of course it would be nice to get all our questions answered, but if my son died, I wouldn't want to answer people's questions for 25 years. That woman deserves some peace.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

i agree with you Paul, i hear from people who see her allot and of course she feels the same, she is a very strong person., but she has been answering people's questions for 25 years :) she wants to., her choice.

Would be nice to see something get down to the music, Randy's brother is REALY good, his piano arrangements are just stunning, i can hear the influence on Randy, would be nice to get into the music with or with out other musicians exploring it together with Kelle, my opinion.