Tired of people saying that Hendrix was the best

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Gabriel Raphael wrote:but its not fair to Ozzy, Sharon, Randy's tech, ex girlfriend or people who fear things would go wrong bringing skeletons out of the closet...
I think that if there are skeletons in the closet that would adversely effect the legacy of Randy, then his mom has done a disservice to him over the years by painting him as an angel. Of course it would be nice to get all our questions answered, but if my son died, I wouldn't want to answer people's questions for 25 years. That woman deserves some peace.
It must be so hard having a off spring not only in the public eye, but not here anymore, and also wanting to present them as you see them/the best you can.

In regards to those of us finding out more about Randy, both biographically and perhaps musically, I don't think that will happen for quite a time in the future.

Sometimes the expression of someone being "killed by kindness" comes to mind when I think of Randy's family and their beloved boy, and their interest in portraying him so purely.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't know what more could be brought out from the closet that would make Ozzy and Sharon been seen an even worse light by the RR fans. Most RR fans think that Sharon Osbourne invaded Poland in 1939.

I always think of Randy's mom. :( Before he was a guitar player, he was her baby and I bet seeing all the drama and infighting surrounding her child is upsetting.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

I know what its like to lose a brother as well as a friend who was a bass player, aside some artists i knew and met that died.

While tragic accidents happen people are still getting killed every day and we get told BS for the reasons, Hendrix or Rhoads it all sux to see people with such blessed lives go.
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, honest hahha, but to tell the truth often when I think of the decent people that are no longer on earth I think the lucky bastards have already made it out.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think that's kind of a silly out look on life. (No offense shanic buddy, you know I love you)
Life has its ups and downs, but I like being alive, personally. I imagine Randy and Hendrix did too.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote:I think that's kind of a silly out look on life. (No offense shanic buddy, you know I love you)
Life has its ups and downs, but I like being alive, personally. I imagine Randy and Hendrix did too.
A lot of people too whose image has cultivated a 'I am better off out of this world' type bravado is sometimes not accurate.

In the brilliant book about her life with Jim Morrison, Patricia Kenealley bravely paints a picture that goes quite against the angst ridden, self destructive and death obsessed image that Oliver Stone drew upon.

He is portrayed as a man eager to live and stay alive and enjoy life!

She talks of a man that drank tea for breakfast, had great humour and warmth and there is also a story of him taking a bottle of spirits after a party, only to once in private throw the bottle away.
That isn't such an exciting legend though.

Being alive is the bloody best. Lets not take it for granted!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

Great thread :D

I will try to reach 60-years-old this year. Yes, there are many pitfalls and unavoidable down moments living on Earth (believe me ), yet when you touch and play that wonderful guitar it is pure magic and fun. The other day I played for a couple over 80 years old---they still have that innocent joy of live music appreciation as much or more than a baby listening to a melodious child's lullaby.

Hendrix and Rhoads and Morrison and even Elvis did not want to leave us so quickly. They gave us joy and release from this sometimes mundane world
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I just bought a Gretsch G5120 and while looking at reviews on Google came across this little Chet Atkins video I thought y'all might like.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:I just bought a Gretsch G5120 and while looking at reviews on Google came across this little Chet Atkins video I thought y'all might like.
Nice one Paul I am really pleased for you! Any audio clips or a review coming?

Chet's pieces transfer well to the Classical Guitar too, and he also recorded pieces by people like the composer Barrios before John Williams did!!!

Matt
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

NicDots wrote:I think that's kind of a silly out look on life. (No offense shanic buddy, you know I love you)
None taken what so ever at all, and to tell the truth I have it way easier than most, I guess yes I shouldn’t be so casual about remarks like that but often I do feel like that. I did not mean that I dont like being alive by the way, its just a feeling I sometimes have.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

The Latest Guitar World Special Edition

The latest edition is an excellent 3 hour tuition DVD covering 6 songs from Jimi's epic Electric Ladyland album.
The tuition is very good indeed. Slow where it needs to be slow and real close ups on his hands too.

The lovely Jimi bends are emulated well too and this alone made it £5 well spent! :)

Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Guitar World's Axis: Bold as Love DVD is excellent, so I can only imagine the new one will be as well.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Peace Matt

It is great to see that both Jimi and Randy are doing better then most of us, even from the other side lol

I mean if they never sold magazines or promised more revenue to some no one can say that anyone better has come along, (forgive me for this example, no intention to offend anyone) but if it was Eddie who past away some or or even Malmsteen i think they would be as gone as Brian Jones, Eddie's a really cool guitarists but he sort of left the pace after RR left the world in my opinion, i am sure there would of been things to dig up on Eddie like there are with RR but you have to admit that with Eddie, its all he himself has been doing, unlike Jimy Page who still has more new guitar riffs to offer EVH seems to f re invented his own past again rather then coming back with something new.

You guys will laugh at this one, we know Malmsteen kicked the scene after RR passed away, no doubt about it, even if it was a re hash of the Retro Ritchie Blackmore thing on speed.

In a youtube video Ritchie said it was envy for anyone to play your songs back faster, its like music is sex and you like to enjoy it not CUM faster, ill try to find the video, .

i wanted to say this here, Jaco Pastorious stated once that Malmsteen is just a fab and selling all that, he played everything Malmsteen has been doing in the last 25 years in 30 minutes on bass (BEFORE HE DIED) and malmsteen was only around a year or so then, and he said that this is all it was, over and over going over all positions and in the harmony progressions of Em, Dm, Am, and said anything otherwise i bet Malmsteen would tune down, don't get me wrong he is a good player YJM, but been original is besides the point, Jaco's point was Rock player are selling something and they present it well to do it, if Robert Fripp presented himself in a band like Ozzy's i am sure it would be dark and twisted, Jaco said RR was really a good musician period, that is the difference between RR and Malmsteen aside the fact that RR had more education.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Gabriel

I know what you mean about them still causing such a stir all these years later! :)
I think to have a relatively small musical catalogue, yet to have changed so much, is evidence of the sheer substance in their respective music.

One thing I think is lacking in alot of today's music is the progression from album to album. When you think of the first Doors album and then four years later the difference in LA woman, or you think of a band like Queen or the Beatles, where every album was such a huge departure from the last, it makes you appreciate how much they were just really 'super bands'.

The same thing happens when we (with friends) talk of Led Zeppelin. They say thing like "oh yeah the folk album" when refering to Led Zeppelin 3, or talk about the care free rock vibe of Houses of The Holy etc etc.

I suppose Kylie has her 'I Should be so lucky' period and then the amazing Showgirl tour, so it does exist kind of today!! ;)

Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ps

The topics title.

I am tired of people saying anyone, is THE best.

Matt