Brent Mason

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Brent Mason

Post by Paul Wolfe »

This guy is the reason why country music is what it is today. Check out his credits here and you'll see he's played on most of the hits from the last decade. He's appeared on 22 albums this year!

Check him out playing with Vice Gill (Mason's the guy with the silver Tele). He can fly with a pick and his fingers (hybrid picking).

Now I know most of you are metalheads, but I, personally, think it's fun to watch anyone who is talented at guitar playing - and seems to enjoy it. That Alexi Laiho kid is supposed to be a great new talent, but he sounds just like everyone else who has studied Randy and Eddie over the years to me.

Guys like Brent Mason and Scotty Anderson (who's thread no one has commented on) are both phenomenally talented and influential. In fact, I'd be willing to say Brent Mason has inspired just as many - if not more - kids to learn guitar than Randy Rhoads has. He's been doing this since 1985 as a studio guitarist and shows no signs of stopping.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i like slim whitman, paul. does that count?
Last edited by frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:i like slim whitman, paul. does that count?
No, Frank, it doesn't.
JR97

Post by JR97 »

If you like Brent Mason, you'll love Danny Gatton. RIP
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I know this an old thread but I had to comment, if Brent, who is a fabulous guitar player by the way, is the reason why country music is what it was in 2006, then Reggie Young is the reason why Brent is what he is today. There would be no studio musician profession in Nashville as it exist today were it not for Reggie Young, and that includes for non-guitar players also. Not a knock on Brent by the way, Brent's first solo album is just stellar, fabulous playing in my opinion because for the most part it is not what he is known for in N'ville. It's funny in a way, because you can find young guitar players in all the clubs in N'ville who can just kill all the Brent Mason stuff, I mean some of them play it better than Brent, and when you talk to them nearly all of them grew up playing EVH, Randy, Yngwie or Paul Gilbert stuff. Lots of great players in Nashville, of all styles too, I have learned alot about guitar (esp. studio) in that city.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"