Ace Frehley

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Ace Frehley

Post by Paul Wolfe »

While Randy may have been a huge inspiration over the years, the guy who made me want to play guitar was Ace Frehley.

A friend sent me the KISSOLOGY DVD set which I received yesterday. Watching those old KISS concerts made me want to go grab my guitar and play along.

Ace will never be in the league of Eddie, Randy or the like, but I wonder how many guitarists picked up the guitar after seeing Ace back in the '70's?

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I know Randy was never influenced by Ace, but I can't help to hear a lot of Ace Frehley in Randy's playing while being in QR.
I'm sure Ace has influenced thousands of guitarplayer directly or indirectly.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've got a video of Ace's spotlight solo from '76 (I believe, might be '77) and he can be clearly seen tapping with both hands on the neck before Eddie's first record came out.

Of course Gene did demo work with VH prior to Warner Bros. signing them, so Ace could have seen Ed do it then, or (as I prefer to believe) Ace was ahead of his time! :wink:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I have never liked Kiss but I do understand the point very well, (I will say this again, I don't play guitar :lol: )
BUT
I was a rock drummer and although I knew who were the best drummers (John Bonham, Tommy Aldridge, Leonard Haze etc!) My inspiration right at the start was Clem Burke who drummed for Blondie. He was and still is one of the finest drummers and is a million miles away from what I aspired to be.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The KISSOLOGY DVDs have 4 complete concerts, and thus 4 complete Peter Criss drum solos. He's not Neil Peart, but he was a great straight rock drummer. Anyone who can sing and drum at the same time is talented in my book.

metal_head6704

Post by metal_head6704 »

RockyRhoads wrote:I've got a video of Ace's spotlight solo from '76 (I believe, might be '77) and he can be clearly seen tapping with both hands on the neck before Eddie's first record came out.

Of course Gene did demo work with VH prior to Warner Bros. signing them, so Ace could have seen Ed do it then, or (as I prefer to believe) Ace was ahead of his time! :wink:
KISS are my fave band....Have been for 30 years....I am an avid collector of everything KISS.....You comment on how Ace was "tapping" in '76 - '77 , well If you look at the footage on KISSology from both Winterland and The Midnight Special from real early '75 Ace was tapping back then too, also I have Audios from '73 - '74 Of Aces solos and he was doing it then as well....I dont personally think Ace was the very first to do this nor was he influential in Eddie , Randy or anyone else doing it. But yes he was doing it as early as '73 - '74....which was before Gene met The Van halens.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I hadn't paid enough attention to those shows, but your right, he is tapping in them.

Ed turned it into an art form. I always wondered if Randy was influenced to tap from Ed. Since his students wanted to learn to play Ed's songs, I'm sure more than a few asked about how to tap.
rokket
Madman

Ace Frehley

Post by rokket »

Many guitarists have said Ace was the reason they picked up a guitar, just as many have said the same about Randy. Ace certainly is/was not in the same league as Randy, but both of them had an original/unique, sound and style. Check out the Australian Tribute to Ace Frehley on myspace, we've had a ball doing it.

http://www.myspace.com/australianacefrehleytributeband
rhoads157

Post by rhoads157 »

Ace is a great guitar player and one of the reasons that I play guitar.
The Kissology DVD set is worth having even if you are not a Kiss fan.
Great show and a kick to see the gear that they were playing way back then!
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Space Ace Influenced Alot of guitarists.Dime,Paul Gilbert,Marty Friedman,Dave Sobo.I could keep going.Ace got me to play,Randy made me want to study the instrument.