Favorite classical/flamenco guitarists

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

tedeeoo wrote:And can anyone tell us some of Randy's favorite classical players?
Ozzy mentioned John Williams in his book, I Am Ozzy.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

John Williams is very good, I actually have some of his stuff on tape somewhere, it's been a while since I've listened to it. I don't think I'll dig it out though, I'll just youtube him, lol!! Gotta love the internet.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

NicDots wrote:
tedeeoo wrote:And can anyone tell us some of Randy's favorite classical players?
Ozzy mentioned John Williams in his book, I Am Ozzy.
:shock:

I am surprised at that!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

I'm not too surprised by that , back in the early 80's if you looked in the classical guitar section in the record store it was : Julian Bream , John Williams , Segovia .. and that was pretty much it . Or perhaps Ozzy just said John Williams because that was a name he was familiar with ??
................................................................Image...............................................................................
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Yeah, that might be it.

I know that Ozzy decided that the beginning of the Diary of a Madman intro came from a Mozart piece, at least according to I Am Ozzy. :lol:
Deer Hunter came out in the 70s and I imagine Randy liked playing that guitar theme which John Williams did.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

I suppose the surprise to me at least, is because out of the big three that Ritchie mentioned, it is John Williams who even by his own admission, is the least expressive player. In interviews when asked about his very 'steady' interpretations, he often says that he likes the notes to be the expression of the piece, rather than putting too much of himself in his interpretations; with dynamics and tone changes etc.

Randy was such an individualist and expressive player, I was just a little shocked LOL

Mind you John Williams' pieces are an excellent point of reference, especially when you're learning a piece as you hear the piece unadulterated and can build upon that.

The other theory that is less likely and sounds a little disrespectful to the late Randy, is that he went for the most obvious house hold name initially. Not unlike when people first discover electric guitar, they say Jimi Hendrix is their favourite rock guitarist, before branching out and finding what they really love.

Just thoughts (above) and I still love Jimi!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote: I know that Ozzy decided that the beginning of the Diary of a Madman intro came from a Mozart piece,
OZZY! :roll: :roll:
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:I suppose the surprise to me at least, is because out of the big three that Ritchie mentioned, it is John Williams who even by his own admission, is the least expressive player. In interviews when asked about his very 'steady' interpretations, he often says that he likes the notes to be the expression of the piece, rather than putting too much of himself in his interpretations; with dynamics and tone changes etc.

Randy was such an individualist and expressive player, I was just a little shocked LOL

Mind you John Williams' pieces are an excellent point of reference, especially when you're learning a piece as you hear the piece unadulterated and can build upon that.

The other theory that is less likely and sounds a little disrespectful to the late Randy, is that he went for the most obvious house hold name initially. Not unlike when people first discover electric guitar, they say Jimi Hendrix is their favourite rock guitarist, before branching out and finding what they really love.

Just thoughts (above) and I still love Jimi!!

Matt
Hmm...I can see why Williams is considered an unexpressive player. But I get goose bumps when I listen to him play that clip that Alex posted. Beautiful! And I think as far as the more traditional Spanish pieces, he plays them better than Segovia. I think Segovia lost the idea that the pieces were supposed to be sort of dancey in rhythm. I think Williams brings that out a bit more.

And on Randy...I am unsure about how deep he got into classical guitar. Did he actually take lessons as a teenager? I have heard that here and there, but I have never heard it from a close friend of his or his mom. Always just guitar lessons, never classical. Classical lessons for Randy didn't come into play until he moved to England. I recall somewhere on .tk finding out what material Randy played whilst in England and if I have my head on straight, it was maybe year 2 level. Anyway, Randy hadn't really gone in depth into the catalogue and hadn't yet gotten to explore everyone.

And let's not forget, Randy said his favorite guitarist was Eddie Van Halen. If you think John Williams is an answer that lacks creativity, just remember that! :lol:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Nicole,

Here is the theory (with lots of good evidence that could mean it is true)
I definitely know that Randy had at least one lesson with David Miller, professor of guitar at my old music college in London.

David, is such a big name in the world of Lute and imminent in his field it wouldn't have phased him a tall who Randy Rhoads was. To him he would have been another talented youngster seeking lessons' (albeit a famous/semi famous one.)

David, mentioned in the early 90's he had taught Randy.
Now, this is where the Brouwer studies come in...At the Guildhall, where David still teaches, The Etudes Simples were and are I believe still, compulsory year one undergraduate studies. It makes me think that it was David who introduced Randy to Leo Brouwer. The Fernando Sor and Villa Lobos studies were also on the 'reading list' ;)

David has no e mail, no website and I have left two messages so far at the college. He is always on tour though and very seldom at the college.

Here is David Miller, than man who probably (very probably) taught Randy...

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/a.asp?a=A1207

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I wasn't going to say this earlier but since Matt mentioned it, John Williams always struck me as , and I hate to say this because he is a far better guitarist than I will ever be, uninspired. I do not hear the passion in his playing that I hear in so many of the great flamenco players, please do not take that as a slight on classical guitarist, admittedly I am not as familiar with as many of them as I am flamenco players. I remember an interview with Rik Emmett of Triumph in one of the guitar magazines where he talked about Randy and classical guitar, if memory serves me correct he stated that Randy was probably at least a 2nd year level classical player. He was stating his admirration for Randy's dedication to the instrument by the way, and spoke very well of Randy. I always had the impression that Randy was as inspired by the composition aspect of classical music and guitar, as he was the actual players.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Ted

Julian Bream is extraordinarily expressive in my opinion. In a concert, he famously had a memory lapse half way through a piece that he had played so passionately up to that point, he received a standing ovation.

Here is Bream playing one of my favourite pieces from Nocturnal by Benjamin Britten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJETmCQI2fA

Albeniz' Spanish Dance no 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpdUo__dM8&feature=related
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Will be checkin out Mr. Bream asap, please don't take my comments on John Williams as how I feel about classical guitar in general, I absolutely love most of it. But, kinda like a really loud distorted angry amplifier and a Les Paul, flamenco just touches my soul. Flamenco music to me is like when I saw my wife for the first time, so beautiful it just takes my breathe away. And just like everytime I look at my wife, everytime I hear flamenco music (played right), even now after many years I am left breathless.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Looking for a great lute player?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1ck_smC9k

He's astounding!

Julian Bream and Paco Pena:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucGwXyW0brI

Here's Paco Pena introducing the flamenco guitar on BBC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-w7sKtb2I
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Nicole and Matt,

Thank you so much for introducing me to Paco Pena and Julian Bream, I am so blown away by both of them. I love guitar players that play with alot of fire and passion and I hear it so much in these two.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

A little bit off topic but on the same flavour. The back cover of the Diary album mentions 'Strings on Diary of a Madman arranged by Louis Clark'.. Do you know who this person is and is this the first time he has done this type of thing on a record ?.