L.A club scene upcoming doc

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

BowTie29
Cool Member

Re: L.A club scene upcoming doc

Post by BowTie29 »

The thing that makes me think Eddie didn't possibly stumble across it is exactly that. He has a different story every time someone asks. Ive heard that he was in the bathroom, he was watching Jimmy Page Heartbreaker solo, he saw guys trilling with one hand and thought why not add another, he saw others do it first, etc... He may have stumbled across it and regardless of how he started, he did it in a new way that revolutionized guitar and changed rock and roll and metal forever and I still think he's the most important guitarist to modern guitar, however I think that if he did find it himself he'd have a more consistent story
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:The thing that makes me think Eddie didn't possibly stumble across it is exactly that. He has a different story every time someone asks. Ive heard that he was in the bathroom, he was watching Jimmy Page Heartbreaker solo, he saw guys trilling with one hand and thought why not add another, he saw others do it first, etc... He may have stumbled across it and regardless of how he started, he did it in a new way that revolutionized guitar and changed rock and roll and metal forever and I still think he's the most important guitarist to modern guitar, however I think that if he did find it himself he'd have a more consistent story
Gotta agree with you, he's a bit inconsistent as a story teller... I'd also say he was the most influential rock player ever after Jimi. A lot of players were/are great, but not have been game changers.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

when eddie is storytelling,the needle on the bs meter breaks into pieces.We all know he didnt invent tapping but he certainly invented a new way of employing it.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:when eddie is storytelling,the needle on the bs meter breaks into pieces.We all know he didnt invent tapping but he certainly invented a new way of employing it.
Oh definitely... imagine where hair metal would be without Van Halen... even Randy admits to copying Ed...
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Hair Metal was everyone trying to be Van Halen. Back to the documentary though, I think it looks interesting. That "hair" genre often lumps really talented bands in with the "hair" bands like Poison. Jake E Lee said it on TMS too, he was lumped in with the Hair guys even though he is tremendously talented and definitely isn't more concerned about image than music
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Jake can talk all he wants, he was in Ratt and Rough Cutt who were a part of the hair metal scene on the strip. He wasn't a part of it when it became popular and the musicians became rich. Poison were raking in millions after Jake got canned from Ozzy. The strip was never about talent, it was about catchy songs, crazy looks and fun.

As much as people bash Poison, they wrote songs that stood the test of time moreso than anything Jake ever wrote. Metalheads and guitar players point to Bark at the Moon, Everyone else remembers Every Rose, Nothin' but a Good Time & & Your Mama Don't Dance (sure, that's a cover, but people remember it).

Motley was criticized by guitar players early on, too, because Mick wasn't in the league of Randy & Ed, but more people know of Motley Crue than Randy Rhoads and they have a bigger following now than Van Halen.

Jake is a great player, but I think he's jealous of the fact that the world passed him by back in the 80's.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I do agree, people didn't know he was in those bands then, but some bands like Cinderella, Skid Row, Dokken, got lumped into a description where talent is secondary to looks, which for some of the bands like the ones I mentioned, there is tremendous talent as well as the looks needed to survive in the day.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I do agree, people didn't know Jake was in those bands then without internet probably, but even some bands like Cinderella, Skid Row, Dokken, got lumped into a description where talent is secondary to looks, which for some of the bands like the ones I mentioned, there is tremendous talent as well as the looks needed to survive in the day.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Read this entire thread for some interesting background on the Sunset Strip back in the day... Dokken as a 3-piece opening for the Quiet Riot/RR reunion gigs in 1980, Xciter & Dokken sharing a bill the same night Motley Crue debuted... interesting reminiscences from people who were there.