L.A club scene upcoming doc

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

L.A club scene upcoming doc

Post by Tito »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlzWl795 ... ture=share paul i thought you might like this looks interesting..kelly g posted it on facebook...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: L.A club scene upcoming doc

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlzWl795 ... ture=share paul i thought you might like this looks interesting..kelly g posted it on facebook...
Definitely interesting, thanks Tito.

After watching that trailer I looked up and found this history of the Starwood. It mentions Ozzy's Blizzard band playing there - and we all know QR's history in that place.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

wow i never knew nash was the owner!!!!i knew i remembered the name!!man him and long john holmes got away with murder with the whole wonderland thing!!!!no problem and thanks for that info!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito, in Kelly's book he mentions Nash being the owner of the Starwood. Apparently to celebrate Nash giving QR the green light to play the Starwood, Kelly and the band's manager trashed the bathroom and got on Nash's bad side...
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

oh damn!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I just have to point out that the text on the trailer says "Before Hair Metal" and the first flyer they show is London, which was Nikki 'hair metal' Sixx's pre-Motley band. Most of the other bands presented were also hair metal... And I know it is about the whole Sunset Strip, but punk was definitely at the Starwood during the time frame of that doc.

Just little things I noticed meaning I don't care for the trailer as much as I could but I really want to see the film.

Love this VH shot:
Attachments
VH.JPG
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i noticed that too!!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

in that pic,roth and evh are wearing the same clothes as on the vh1 cover..thats gotta be late 77 or early 78....btw does anybody know when evh started tapping cuz i havent heard him do it on any pre 77 audio?....which to me is frikkin amazing to consider that he only knew how to do it for about a year before he did eruption and vh1 ....
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i wanna say 73 74 maybe dont hold me to it though..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:i wanna say 73 74 maybe dont hold me to it though..
I'm holding you to that, Tito... if you're wrong... I don't know, something will happen :lol:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

LOL!!!!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

i havent heard any tapping on stuff as late as 76...i know evh is a monster but consider the talent to come up and perfect that technique within a year and have it recorded on record within that same year....that is an unreal gift.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:i havent heard any tapping on stuff as late as 76...i know evh is a monster but consider the talent to come up and perfect that technique within a year and have it recorded on record within that same year....that is an unreal gift.
I agree. I have even read Ed saying Eruption on record wasn't even as good as he could have played it. Not as good as it could have been and it changed the face of rock guitar!
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I dont know this for sure, but as of 76 Eddie wasn't tapping from everything Ive heard. Later in 76 they did the demo with Gene Simmons and by 77 he was tapping. I know Ace was tapping since the early days of KISS, so could Ace have possibly come by one day because Gene told about a great young guitar player and possibly have shown Eddie this thing he was doing, which Eddie then took and improved upon it? Just by the timeline of Eddie's tapping, this seems like it could be a possibility?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

BowTie29 wrote:I dont know this for sure, but as of 76 Eddie wasn't tapping from everything Ive heard. Later in 76 they did the demo with Gene Simmons and by 77 he was tapping. I know Ace was tapping since the early days of KISS, so could Ace have possibly come by one day because Gene told about a great young guitar player and possibly have shown Eddie this thing he was doing, which Eddie then took and improved upon it? Just by the timeline of Eddie's tapping, this seems like it could be a possibility?
I would amend that scenario to say that maybe Ed saw Ace practicing/noodling and picked up on the concept (unconsciously maybe?) and later developed it into his trademark...

Years ago (as in the '80s) I read an interview where Ed claimed he was in the bathroom with the guitar on his lap when he came up with the tapping idea. Originally he'd reach his right hand up on the neck to hold a note between his fret hand and the nut (like a capo) and do hammer/pull trills with his left hand. He said that developed into the tapping we all know now... so maybe he did just stumble into it?