WalMart wants to poop on Washington, DC

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRforeveRR

WalMart wants to poop on Washington, DC

Post by RRforeveRR »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc- ... story.html

So, fellow UR readers- what's your take on this article and WM's stance on employees' wages and benefits (i.e. low pay and welfare benefits for employees)? Is it possible to get people off their asses to collectively tell WM to piss off, and take their business elsewhere?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: WalMart wants to poop on Washington, DC

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here's the thing, I hate what Wal-Mart is doing, but in my current financial situation, it is the only place I can afford to shop on a regular basis.

Unfortunately the lawmakers will probably bow to Wal-Mart's demands, not because they want the stores built, but because Wal-Mart will offer kickbacks.

Without a HUGE campaign, nothing will change this. Going 'viral' on Facebook only goes so far, regardless of what the media says we are still in a recession and people shop where they can afford to shop. If there were an alternative to Wal-MArt, there would be a way to force change, but, again unfortunately, there really isn't.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

RRforeveRR wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc- ... story.html

So, fellow UR readers- what's your take on this article and WM's stance on employees' wages and benefits (i.e. low pay and welfare benefits for employees)? Is it possible to get people off their asses to collectively tell WM to piss off, and take their business elsewhere?
Wait a sec guys. People don't go into business to make sure you have a job. And they don't go into busniess to make sure you have benefits. I have no issue with Walmart. What you need to do is blame Obama and his shitty health care law for what is going on which is only a small part of this. I don't normally shop at Walmart because I find most of thier products are poor quality. However when I can get an LG 3d 47 TV for 550.00 vs 700.00 at other stores. Were am I going to go? Only a fool would pay more. Essentially one way to look at these mandates that have been passed is that it is forcing Walmart out of the market place. IOW they cannot afford to do busniess there because it is going to be too expesnive. Remember business go into business to make money. Once you all realize that maybe you will have a diffrent out look. Anyway this is nothing compared to what will be coming down the pike once this pieice of shit legislation gets fully implimented. Of course as I understand it this particular thing is about pushing the min. wage up to 12.50. Which that is retarded in and of itself. I should have responded more about the "living wage". Oh well.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

dannyahansen wrote:Wait a sec guys. People don't go into business to make sure you have a job. And they don't go into business to make sure you have benefits. I have no issue with Walmart. What you need to do is blame Obama and his shitty health care law for what is going on which is only a small part of this.
I respect your opinion, Danny and your right to your opinion, but Obama is not the problem in this country. The problem is GREED!! The haves simply want more and the have nots get screwed. How can a plan that requires health insurance be the blame when CEOs are paid millions a year? Do the CEOs need millions each year? Do average citizens need health insurance to offset the greedy medical industry? Yes. Could CEOs make do with a little less so health insurance could be affordable? What do you think?

Blaming Obama is a catch-all for every issue in this country - plane crash in San Francisco? Obama's fault. Wildfire in Arizona? Obama did it. The Packers lose to the Seahawks on Monday Night football after "the worst call ever"? Damned Obama was backing those replacement refs. I stubbed my toe last night? F#*king Obama... Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, et al did their part to get us to where we are now. The real power is held by Congress, not the president. Is he perfect? Not by a long shot. Has he screwed up, yep, definitely. Is it all his fault? Think back the George W before answering that.

So, as far as Wal-Mart goes, YES, YES, YES they are corporate thieves screwing the people. Without the employees, those CEOs get nothing, and in appreciation of that, they screw the little guy - welcome to the United States of America.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

dannyahansen wrote: Wait a sec guys. People don't go into business to make sure you have a job. And they don't go into busniess to make sure you have benefits. I have no issue with Walmart. What you need to do is blame Obama and his shitty health care law for what is going on which is only a small part of this. I don't normally shop at Walmart because I find most of thier products are poor quality. However when I can get an LG 3d 47 TV for 550.00 vs 700.00 at other stores. Were am I going to go? Only a fool would pay more. Essentially one way to look at these mandates that have been passed is that it is forcing Walmart out of the market place. IOW they cannot afford to do busniess there because it is going to be too expesnive. Remember business go into business to make money. Once you all realize that maybe you will have a diffrent out look. Anyway this is nothing compared to what will be coming down the pike once this pieice of shit legislation gets fully implimented. Of course as I understand it this particular thing is about pushing the min. wage up to 12.50. Which that is retarded in and of itself. I should have responded more about the "living wage". Oh well.
The min wage adjusted for inflation should be around 11$.Thats just a fact not an opinion.Walmart models themselves as a slave labor concern.Walmart doesnt believe in America or the quality of life of its people they believe in the race to the bottom.Walmart rather believes in China and would like to model themselves after China.Lexploit workers,no min wage,no benefits...This also happens to be the GOP philosophy.
Walmart doesnt provide healthcare because they teach their employees how to game the system and get free healthcare from county services.This is because walmart makes sure 70 to 80 % of their employees make a shit wage and dont get full time hours in order to be considered low income and qualify for state benefits.In other words taxpayers pay for walmart employees healthcare not walmart.This is what is also known as corporate welfare-when taxpayers have to subsidize corporate shenanigans.Business is not only in the biz of making money,they are in the business of stealing as much as possible From taxpayers and consumers.

"According to a recent report from the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce, the low wages provided by a single Walmart store costs taxpayers upwards of $1 million in governmental support for those workers and their dependents. "The report finds that a single 300-employee Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wisconsin may cost taxpayers anywhere from $904,542 to nearly $1.75 million per year, or about $5,815 per employee. Wisconsin has 100 Wal-Mart stores, 75 that are Wal-Mart Supercenters."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nad ... 88380.html

As for healthcare reform I have already benefitted from it in a life and death manner.In december 2012 i had a colonoscopy finally after 4years-which people under 50 couldnt get from their hmo prior to obamacare unless you could afford to pay the absurd amount of 5000$.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

coincidentally,last night i was looking at the jobs in craigslist.
What i saw shocked me.Corporate businesses looking to hire people only part time and at absurd low wages-especially with the high cost of living here in LA.One company wanted computer experience etc and get this-9$ hr-oh btw a healthcare corporation!A kennel franchise offering 4hr shifts @ 8.50 to shovel,clean shit etc.On top of that they expected you to have a car because they are in the middle of nowhere.So after gas and taxes you would be lucky to have 20$in your pocket.But the worst was this:a janitor service corporation offering 5 days of work but only 1.5 hrs per day all for 8.50/hr -and you had to have a car!!!!

How can anybody in good conscience pull this crap?I thought i was dreaming when i saw these ads.I had no idea how bad the job market is.Why isnt this on the news.Its a crime.Its exploitive,cruel,dehumanizing and despicable.Walmart and the conservative movement have been pursuing this agenda for 30years and they are achieving their goals of returning the living standards of americans to the industrial age of the 1800s with the robber barrons at the top.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:I had no idea how bad the job market is. Why isnt this on the news. Its a crime. Its exploitive, cruel, dehumanizing and despicable. Walmart and the conservative movement have been pursuing this agenda for 30years and they are achieving their goals of returning the living standards of Americans to the industrial age of the 1800s with the robber barrons at the top.
It's not on the news because it would quickly become obvious that the economy issues are not Obama's fault.

My mother-in-law told me her doctor's opinion of Obamacare the other night. Apparently all medical professionals are required to share patient records without red-tape-requests. So if you go to a primary care doctor and then have to go to an after hours clinic, the primary care doc will have automatic access to what was done. In addition, an eye is being kept on medical 'professionals' who treat you to the limit of your insurance and then pronounce you 'cured'. These docs will be discovered and shut down.

The Republicans bitch about "Big Brother"... I'd say those with something to hide are the ones vilifying Obama.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

the idea of healthcare for-profit is probably the most immoral concept imagineable.If you are human how can you put a price or quota on someones life or health?Every other civilized country in the world has national healthcare and they all have longer life expectancy and lower med costs than us.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The UK is going the same way anyone on benefits is now being forced to take a low paid job. I was put on a 'helping you back to work' scheme which lasted 2 years i had to attend once a month. The jobs didn't meet my experience and the majority of them had low pay and short term contracts of 1 week to 3 weeks max. After 2 years of only one job which i was forced to apply for. I was refered back to the 'jobcentre'. The 'wellfare office', so they could watch what i was doing to find work. My original agreement was to apply for at least 4 jobs over two weeks. In my trade as a painter and decorator and other semi skilled work, labouring, maintenance work etc. They now have a system so they can view your job applications, so they can monitor your every move. They decided that i should be looking for at least 21 jobs a week. Which would cover any work i could do from canvassing to cleaning, bar work, factory work, anything i could do without having to be qualified. After making me come to mandatory meetings and being asked to attend interviews with no notice and generally being hastled and being forced into doing a shit a job. which if i didn't attend would end in sanctions and eventually losing any benefit. I was so pissed off i decided to 'sign off' and told them to stick the benefit.
The government are hitting out hard on the unemployed and the people on low income to try to balance all the money the state has wasted on bank loans and general over spending over the last 10 years. Everytime a war is happening 'we' have to pay for the running costs and wars don't come cheap. But the country is still welcoming third world, war torn refugees, asylum seekers and anyone who can get into the country without being legally invited. It has been in the news that 350,000+ Romanians, Bulgarians and other ethnics will eventually be welcomed into the UK after the European Union 'freedom to work' controls are relaxed from next January. They cannot run a system to look after the population in a fair way as it stands now, and it is now effecting everything from hospital care, privatisation and the general day to day cost of living. Over populating the country isn't the answer. This country was called Great Britian at one time, it was well named, it should be re-named to Poverty stricken Britain. No wonder other countries go rioting because they put the price of train and bus fares up. No shit it happens in Brazil all the time.. Look at Turkey and the turn out of the population, when it goes bad, revolt. This country is too soft no wonder its turned so shit and America is going the same way.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Idol, that's exactly why there is an 'illegal immigrant' fight in the States. Sure we would like the unfortunate to have better opportunities, but the unfortunate in this country should come before the unfortunate in other countries. Once we are stable here we are better suited to help others, in my humble opinion.

The sad part is that the rich see the illegals as cheap labor so they can make themselves more money. As I said earlier, GREED is the problem, not Obama. And heaven help us if Palin manages to seduce her way into office.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I wonder how much money the govt wastes trying to keep track of how much job seeking an unempliyed person is doing.Its picking on the worst off in society meanwhile wall st,bs wars and drug wars plunder us.

I want to know when fiscal austerity is going to be targeted at the corporations that fucking raped us financially(banks and wall st) and defense contractors like boeing and GE that want endless wars.I would also like to see half of wall st thrown in jail for committing the biggest fraud ever perpetrated in the usa.It is a race to the bottom and picking on the poorest souls amd blaming and targetting them for welfare fraud or cutting their benefits that amount to nothing compared to what banks,wall st, have been getting away with for 2 decades,is cowardly and despicable.Off-shoring jobs from first world to 3rd world so companies can enjoy slave labor wages and no safety regulations is obscene.

The reason i didnt vote for obama was because he didnt throw wall st in jail nor the motherfuckers at BP whose drilling rig disaster and wilful negligence devastated the Gulf.He actually cowered and shied away from both issues.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Here is a sample of pathetic job offers i saw in CL.It is totally exploitive.I dont even comprehend how it is legal to offer 1.5hrs a day and yet require the person to be bilingual,possess a car and cellphone and get min wage in return.This job will lose you money in gas/car expenses alone.It takes a lot of nerve to make such an undignified,abusive proposition.I guess business knows theycan get away with this crap in this race to the bottom spirit and current environment:

Established growing Commercial Janitorial Company is seeking an EXPERIENCED janitor for a permanent position.Must be able to work: This is a NIGHT JOB.
1. Monday-Saturday. Job hours: Monday-Friday anytime after 6:00p.m for..Saturdays anytime between 2-8p.m. Total hours a WEEK are 10 hours. Averages about 1 hour and a half to 2hours and a half A day.
The person we hire must be reliable, well-organized, and able to handle assorted responsibilities. Duties include general office cleaning. The applicant must have a CA Driver's License,a cell phone and must be Bi-lingual(Spanish/English).JANITORIAL EXPERIENCED REQUIRED.

Compensation: $8.50
This is a part-time job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:The reason i didnt vote for obama was because he didnt throw wall st in jail nor the motherfuckers at BP whose drilling rig disaster and wilful negligence devastated the Gulf.He actually cowered and shied away from both issues.
Does the President actually have the power to throw them in jail? Wouldn't the Congress & the Supreme Court have a say in that?

My impression of Obama is that he fights battles he has a chance of winning or will have a long-standing effect.

In my opinion the wall street crooks have too much money to be shut down without an actual revolution by the public which may never happen because the have-nots have been brainwashed into thinking there's still hope to live 'the American Dream" and be rich themselves. At which point they become the same as the rich we have now.

My wife's cousin married a guy who was a cook at a 5-Star hotel. I worked with him and knew him, decent guy trying to make a living. He lived in a 2 room rental that was really less than stellar. He somehow talked his way into a Chef position at Microsoft and went from $30,000 a year to $100,000 a year. Good for him, he found a way to get ahead. Once he had money, he would no longer associate with those of us in the family without money. He moved his wife and kids away to a community of rich folk and has cut off ties with the rest of us. Unfortunate, but that is an example as to what greed does.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:Here is a sample of pathetic job offers i saw in CL.It is totally exploitive.I dont even comprehend how it is legal to offer 1.5hrs a day and yet require the person to be bilingual,possess a car and cellphone and get min wage in return.This job will lose you money in gas/car expenses alone.It takes a lot of nerve to make such an undignified,abusive proposition.I guess business knows theycan get away with this crap in this race to the bottom spirit and current environment:

Established growing Commercial Janitorial Company is seeking an EXPERIENCED janitor for a permanent position.Must be able to work: This is a NIGHT JOB.
1. Monday-Saturday. Job hours: Monday-Friday anytime after 6:00p.m for..Saturdays anytime between 2-8p.m. Total hours a WEEK are 10 hours. Averages about 1 hour and a half to 2hours and a half A day.
The person we hire must be reliable, well-organized, and able to handle assorted responsibilities. Duties include general office cleaning. The applicant must have a CA Driver's License,a cell phone and must be Bi-lingual(Spanish/English).JANITORIAL EXPERIENCED REQUIRED.

Compensation: $8.50
This is a part-time job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
The only real issue I see there is requiring a cell phone. Otherwise it seems like a normal job ad to me. It's part-time, a driver's license is required as a form of legal ID and they'll only hire bi-lingual applicants because the supervisor or owner speaks English and the crew speaks Spanish. It also sounds like an on-call position due to the hours being "anytime between".

I wouldn't apply for this job, but there are loads of Hispanic folks (legal & otherwise) who would see that as a reasonable second or third job.

I get your point, though, oth. What sucks for me is that my back is finally getting to the point where I might be able to work again. Having been unemployed for 18 months as of this point, finding a good paying job when/if I can work again isn't very likely. I'll have to go minimum wage and spend years working my way back up.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I know obama cant wave a wand and have everything but he doesnt use the bully pulpit to his advantage.I didnt heear a peep from him on both issues.As for revolution there was Occupy that got muzzled by dems and gop and then dhs,nsa etc.I went to some of the events and they were great-minus the potheads.The last event i went to was avout 80 peaceful people surrounded by 1000-2000 goosestepping riot cops,5 or 6 ghetto birds and lots of military equipment.All thanks to our scumbag phony liberal mayor Villagarosa.I will give obama props for getting obamacare done.Its the only good thing any pres has done since lbj.Yeah clinton is another fake liberal.

I hope your back gets better.I had a back scare last year and that is when i decided due to my age i had to start excercise program.I swim hardcore now 2-3x a week and rollerblade.I feel great for it and no depression ever.Im still a fuckin bitch though!!

BTW,70% of walmart employees are on welfare or public assistance.