Need help with a amp

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Need help with a amp

Post by randy will never die »

I want a small travel amp that sound like a marshal that will fit in a bass case or a keyboard case

It has to be able-to support a mxr distortion plus, mxr 6 band eq, wampler pinnacle, roland space echo re-20 , mxr evh flanger, mxr micro chorus, mxr evh phase 90 All of these effects are going to be put in the case with the amp so the amp can't take up the whole case

Any suggestions

I prefer something that is still in production
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Need help with a amp

Post by Cryptic Night »

Probably one of the closest things you'll get is a Zeus 8401, and those aren't common. Not sure if anything else that sounds like a Marshall exists for that size.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Cryptic Night wrote:Probably one of the closest things you'll get is a Zeus 8401, and those aren't common. Not sure if anything else that sounds like a Marshall exists for that size.
I was looking into a zeus but there not on ebay that much

I have been thinking it does not have to sound like an Marshall
But it HAS to support all of the effects above

Overall it has to be a good little travel amp
Any travel amp will do I just wanted to see if there was any Marshall sounding travel amps out there

I know randy used the zeus because it sounded like a mini marshall

But the zeus are not in production anymore. And harder that hell to get a hold of

BUT ANY will do I if it had a head phone jack that would be nice

I just need some thing I can bring to my grandparents house during holidays
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd recommend a Rockman... you can add Ipod speakers or headphones and use any effects inline that you want. I used to have one but I never used it so it went to the pawn shop as all my stuff eventually does.

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Wow that thing is cool gong to look into that one
Thanks Paul

How does it sound you said you owned one in the past does it come close to a Marshall or tube amp
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

dude stop trying to hide behind a well known name...marshall mxr pedals evh equipment etc,are not gonna make you sound any better than you sound playing out of an 8 inch speaker made by bob from down the block..practice and worry about upgrading to high end names later after you have your technique and style...the tone(like people here will tell you)comes from your right and left hand...not from fender marshall peavey orange etc..an amp is a tool and so is a guitar..practice them skills and worry about kickin out high money for equipment that's made to add to your expression..when I hear randy giving lessons on old tapes hes playing from his practice amp...no reverb no pedals,its dry(to my ear at least)and as soon as he starts playing you know its him!its all in the hands..the better equipment I think is just gravy..chill dude you have a lot of time!!!!
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Tito wrote:dude stop trying to hide behind a well known name...marshall mxr pedals evh equipment etc,are not gonna make you sound any better than you sound playing out of an 8 inch speaker made by bob from down the block..practice and worry about upgrading to high end names later after you have your technique and style...the tone(like people here will tell you)comes from your right and left hand...not from fender marshall peavey orange etc..an amp is a tool and so is a guitar..practice them skills and worry about kickin out high money for equipment that's made to add to your expression..when I hear randy giving lessons on old tapes hes playing from his practice amp...no reverb no pedals,its dry(to my ear at least)and as soon as he starts playing you know its him!its all in the hands..the better equipment I think is just gravy..chill dude you have a lot of time!!!!
I all ready have nice gear that I bought

You are saying slow down and practice well that's the point of a travell amp I go to my grandparents house a lot and on holidays my whole family is there from 10 in the morning to 12 at night so I get board and would love to play my guitar but no amp it would be nice to have something like Randy's practice rig

I do practice when I have time I am in a school play and people rehearse there part while I sit and do nothing my jod is to assist the director well it so happened the director is the music teacher mr hollaster and he's cool with me playing my guitar but it would be nice to have a small portable rig that can fit into a guitar case

I don't have much time to practice at home with my full rig and I have a lot of time to practice in places I don't have my rig so HELL it would be nice to have a portable rig

I love that your concerned that I need to practice but I simply don't have the time at home TITO but if I had this rig I would be practicing all the time
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Honestly, you could just get a Line 6 POD and be fine. The tone won't be amazing, but it'll get the job done just fine, and is extremely portable.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:Wow that thing is cool gong to look into that one
Thanks Paul

How does it sound you said you owned one in the past does it come close to a Marshall or tube amp
It was created by Tom Scholz of Boston, so this is a good example of the sound you can get:

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:
Tito wrote:...practice and worry about upgrading to high end names later after you have your technique and style...the tone(like people here will tell you)comes from your right and left hand... not from Fender Marshall Peavey orange etc... an amp is a tool and so is a guitar..practice them skills... when I hear randy giving lessons on old tapes he's playing from his practice amp...no reverb no pedals,its dry(to my ear at least)and as soon as he starts playing you know its him!its all in the hands..the better equipment I think is just gravy..chill dude you have a lot of time!!!!

I don't have much time to practice at home with my full rig and I have a lot of time to practice in places I don't have my rig so HELL it would be nice to have a portable rig

I love that your concerned that I need to practice but I simply don't have the time at home TITO but if I had this rig I would be practicing all the time
Going to have to go with Tito on this one. I am at home 24/7 and have hours on end to practice/play my guitar. I plug in maybe twice a month. My point is that if you feel you need an amp and effects to practice, then maybe you do need to focus on technique and theory more.

Like Tito said, Randy's sound came from him, not the equipment. Talk to guys like Frank and Robert, they said Randy often traded guitars with them at lessons - you think Frank played better than Randy when they switched guitars and then Randy played better when they switched back? You need to love the instrument, as Randy would say. When you truly love playing, you'll play any guitar you can get your hands on with or without an amp.

That said, if you've got the money, buy what you want and see where it takes you.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:
randy will never die wrote:
Tito wrote:...practice and worry about upgrading to high end names later after you have your technique and style...the tone(like people here will tell you)comes from your right and left hand... not from Fender Marshall Peavey orange etc... an amp is a tool and so is a guitar..practice them skills... when I hear randy giving lessons on old tapes he's playing from his practice amp...no reverb no pedals,its dry(to my ear at least)and as soon as he starts playing you know its him!its all in the hands..the better equipment I think is just gravy..chill dude you have a lot of time!!!!

Going to have to go with Tito on this one. I am at home 24/7 and have hours on end to practice/play my guitar. I plug in maybe twice a month. My point is that if you feel you need an amp and effects to practice, then maybe you do need to focus on technique and theory more.

Like Tito said, Randy's sound came from him, not the equipment. Talk to guys like Frank and Robert, they said Randy often traded guitars with them at lessons - you think Frank played better than Randy when they switched guitars and then Randy played better when they switched back? You need to love the instrument, as Randy would say. When you truly love playing, you'll play any guitar you can get your hands on with or without an amp.

That said, if you've got the money, buy what you want and see where it takes you.

Your right Paul I shold just practice with my guitar and no effects BUT I all ways feel that something is missing
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:I'd recommend a Rockman... you can add Ipod speakers or headphones and use any effects inline that you want. I used to have one but I never used it so it went to the pawn shop as all my stuff eventually does.

Paul I checked out this mini amp AND Dunlop now owns the rights to this product

As good as Dunlop products are the reviews are ok but most of them say that this amp is not as good as the one from the 80s

It ether this 1 or the one dean sales
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:Your right Paul I should just practice with my guitar and no effects BUT I all ways feel that something is missing
Yeah, something is missing, but think of it like this: if you get your technique sounding flawless without the effects, just imagine how much more they'd add. On the flip side, effects can cover up a degree of sloppy technique.

I doubt too many people really know the difference between an original Rockman and a new one. Not too many people have done side by side comparisons... you can find the original on eBay from time to time.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:
randy will never die wrote:Your right Paul I should just practice with my guitar and no effects BUT I all ways feel that something is missing
Yeah, something is missing, but think of it like this: if you get your technique sounding flawless without the effects, just imagine how much more they'd add. On the flip side, effects can cover up a degree of sloppy technique.

I doubt too many people really know the difference between an original Rockman and a new one. Not too many people have done side by side comparisons... you can find the original on eBay from time to time.
I have decided not to do this mini amp thing ALL of you here have convinced me to just practice with out an mini amp and effects

But on another note Dunlop does not have that much info on the rockman so there would be no point in buying something without knowing what the product does

Thanks for all of the help
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

get an acoustic :)