Nugent on Pantera

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Nugent on Pantera

Post by Paul Wolfe »

WARNING - I AM NOT TRYING TO START A BASHING SESSION. I AM SIMPLY PRESENTING A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN IS USUALLY PRESENTED ON THIS SUBJECT

I've never been a big fan of Pantera - mainly because of the vocals - but I have tried to learn more about them since so many Randy fans seem to be Dime fans as well.

On Pantera's website I found these comments from Ted Nugent:
Ted Nugent wrote:"I've never thought too highly of anyone foolish enough to take on the nickname of a life-destroying dope product and promote such family-destroying conduct on stage. Though I'm no expert on all things PANTERA, I did hear their version of "Cat Scratch Fever" and it was exceedingly white. No soul, no balls, no feel. Caucasian all the way. Elements of dope, booze and heroin disconnect quite apparent as usual. There is no excuse for such horrifically negative, irresponsible, criminal, America-wrecking behavior as such chimp-like substance abuse. Period. They appeared as Ozzy-like zombies on TV. Ya think. American drunks and dopers are allahpuke terrorists' favorite allies. Damn them. Damn them all."

I was flamed heavily at RR.TK for making similar comments after Dime was shot... which was understandable since I chose an inappropriate time to say something negative. That's why I apologizedfor my actions. It is interesting to finally read comments from someone else who has a similar opinion.

I don't want to bash Dime, he was indeed a talented guitarist and he could do some amazing things with the guitar. I would just have preferred to hear him in a different setting - like a metallic version of Molly Hatchet or something with a vocalist who sings instead of screams...

Anyway, I found Nugent's take interesting and thought I'd share it.
Stiltzkin

Re: Nugent on Pantera

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote:something with a vocalist who sings instead of screams...
Then check out Rebel Meets Rebel :twisted:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Nugent on Pantera

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
RockyRhoads wrote:something with a vocalist who sings instead of screams...
Then check out Rebel Meets Rebel :twisted:
Exactly the kind of stuff I like to hear!
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Please dont hurt me or kill me for saying this, but I recently heard a band called Dragonforce, mental guitarist Herman Li etc. I thought i was in for screaming vocals (not my cup of tea) but he was a quite good singer and not a screamer and i was impressed by Hermans sweeping!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

meh wrote:I am not saying Ted is entitled to his opinion, because he is, but I feel he's a bit hypoctricial considering his own past with the raping, racist comments etc.
All people are hypocritic to some extend. :wink:
Yep, including myself. :oops: Unfortunately a part of the human nature. As long we acknowledge this, things can't go very wrong.

No problem with starting this topic Rocky. I think the name "Dimebag' is just an innocent provocation seen in rockmusic a lot of times. To provocate a little is also part of rock 'n roll. :wink: I don't think Dimebag's intention was to promote drugs. Just my 666 cents. :wink:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Yeah, Ted can be a bit self righteous at times. That's just Ted. As far as Rocky's comments about Pantera, I myself am kinda in agreement. Dime's playing was brought to my attention through other Randy fan's as well.....his guitar playing was tremendous......the vocals(Phil Anselmo), the gutteral screaming and all that bit....no thanks. On the other end of the spectrum, very similar to how I feel about Quiet Riot. Loved Sarzo, Frankie Banali, Carlos Cavazo...great players with a great "band"sound, just NEVER could stomach Kevin Dubrow...vocally or otherwise. Hey...to each his own..... :lol:
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

y'know, I really don't care too much for Kevin's voice either, but I just can't imagine a different voice on some of that stuff...
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Rocky...just my opinion here, but to me any run of the mill rock vocalist could have handled any of that stuff.....I guess it's just his general asshole-ishness that has been on such vivid display since '83 that gets in my way...but again, it's all in the eye of the beholder. :wink:
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Xanadu I totally agree with your assessment of DuBrow. I guess what I meant was that I am so used to hearing his voice on Quiet Riot songs I like that it'd sound odd to my ears to hear someone else's voice. I'm talking about the RR-era of QR here, by the way...
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Rocky...I understand what you mean. I guess I have just heard so much of his bile over the years that his validity as ANYTHING i.e QR vocalist, self-proclaimed "best friend" of Randy's or whatever..... means zilch. What I have always noticed and/or found interesting is how he NEVER has participated in ANY contributing way to Randy events such as the show to raise funds for his new resting place in 1991 or the RockWalk event to memorialize Randy in '04. The point can be made that he was behind the release of "Best of QR: The Randy Rhoads Years" but even that I hold suspect in that he has made a career of once playing with Randy.......it gives him a legitimacy that, due to his overbearing nature, he was not able to maintain in his own right. I'll shut up now..... :wink:
Last edited by Xanadu on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I saw Pantera a few times over the years and i paid little attention to them. I was at festivals and they were not who I went to see so I was either talking drinking or walking around, they just didnt do it for me.
When I was a kid I would deffend a band I loved and bitch there competition! over the years I started seeing music as 'Art' so I now see it as a person playing something from the heart so all 'Art' has a value even if it's not something that you love. Although I don't feel that way about tribute bands just playing a set of another bands music they should write new matereal and give it a shot.

That principle goes for Drawing Painting litrature sculpture etc!

Just my oppininon for what its worth!

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

I extremely dislike screaming...

much rather listen to Bruce Dickinson, David Coverdale, Eric Adams.....ahhh :D
[img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6482/randysig2text2ho.png[/img]
Wind is high, so am I, as the shore sinks in the distance
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hi meh

We dont see very much of you here enjoy the stay.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.