ac/dc 1979 oakland

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

ac/dc 1979 oakland

Post by Tito »

nothing new but i find it hard to believe that randy and ozzy weren't taped the same way these guy's were...ted nugent aerosmith and ac/dc were all filmed this day..i just dont see why 2 years later nobody filmed..just a thought

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: ac/dc 1979 oakland

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I love AC/DC from the Bon era... Back in Black is a great disc & For Those About to Rock has some good stuff, but beyond that I don't care for the Brian Johnson era records.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

im with you on that..for me flick of the switch had some good tracks on it..fly on the wall has 2 or 3 good ones but after that not so much..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I do have Fly On the Wall and, yeah, there are a couple good tunes there. Beyond that, so many of their songs sound exactly the same. Kind of like the Scorpions after they did that Winds of Change crap.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I'm a huge AC/DC fan, but Bon will always be the best vocalist the band ever had. Brian Johnson is a fantastic frontman and equally impressive in his own right, but simply put, Bon was THE MAN. His inimitable voice, great songwriting, and "walking the talk" make him not only the best vocalist of the two, but also, I would argue, the best vocalist in hard rock, ever. Perhaps he would have blown out his voice in later years or parted ways with the Youngs, but I doubt it. Bon was that intangible factor that every legendary band possesses. I have noticed that BJ has blown out his voice in the last decade or so of being with the band. It's no wonder, though; the guy has literally given his all, and has sung the hell out of each and every song. You can only do that for so long. Nonetheless, he's helped the band become the legendary unit they are, and you gotta respect that.

That being said, AC/DC's two best albums were back to back: HIGHWAY TO HELL and BACK IN BLACK. Both are stone cold classics. I also feel that all the Bon-era albums are better overall than the BJ-era albums, BIB excluded. Albums like POWERAGE and LET THERE BE ROCK and sleepers in the catalogue.

They also have a formula that seemed to appear around the FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK album: one or two good, or "hit" songs, then the rest of the album is more or less filler. THE RAZOR'S EDGE is the only exception (barely) to this rule; it had three or four good songs, with the rest being filler.

I suspect the band obviously knows the deal, as do fans - pretty much every album is the same. One time an interviewer said something to the effect that they'd made the same album twelve times, to which Angus (I think) replied, "no, it's been thirteen".

You gotta give AC/DC props, though. No one else in the history of rock has done more with three chords, a crunchy sound, excellent lead and rhythm guitar work, and a plain workman-like image. These guys are legends, and rightfully so.