Uriah Heep and Virgil and The Accelerators (my experience)

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TakeAPebble

Uriah Heep and Virgil and The Accelerators (my experience)

Post by TakeAPebble »

Couple of nights ago I treated myself to go see Uriah Heep (as most will know in Randylore, the connection of Uriah Heep being former members Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisley) but that was besides the point, came out because been feeling quite frankly crap and needed a boost of good ol' 70s rock.

Now Uriah Heep's opening act Virgil and The Accelerators, were in short, pretty awesome. Having mistakenly heard them as Virgin, made me wonder which one was the Virgin as each looked plucked from the 70s and dropped in with the speed playing thrills of the 80s, they were however, nothing short of fantastic. They were humble, and spoke fairly little between each songs, letting Virgil's singing and guitar playing do the talking, I was brought back to remember the insert cover of Osbourne's No Rest For The Wicked, Ozzy said about Zakk Wylde and his first impression, something about "guitar players playing like an extension of their dick, Zakk was an extension of his guitar" or something similar anyways, Virgil threw himself into his playing, and wow. Just wow. The bassist and the drummer, also married well, nice little grooves from the bass player and the drummer, packed in some nice fills that sweetened the deal.

Now, the stage lights were off, main lights on everybody was off for drinks, I quickly as I could (wishing I had the power of Moses to separate the waves of ageing rock fans) grabbed a Jack Daniels and Coke and went back for my seat, sat myself down, then everybody rose up as the lights went down, I joined them. Everybody clapped their hands to the beat, I joined as well. Uriah Heep, on stage, the atmosphere was amazing, found myself bopping up and down and rocking my head to the beat. Now I have heard of Uriah Heep's songs like Gypsy and all from the Demons and Wizards album (featuring Lee Kerslake on drums) previously, but I would never class myself a fan, because I never exposed myself to more songs by them, however tonight I was treated to classic songs across their catalogue and even some from their latest album. It felt good, I was feeling great, didn't know anyone from the audience, but I wasn't alone. Uriah Heep, they were fantastic, throughly enjoyed the songs that were playing, blistering guitaring, piercing keyboards, and the singer was just a great showman, "What drugs we on tonight?" he asked the audience, the audience roars, "Wrong answer, we're on a drug of nostalgia" and how he handed a drunk who kept screaming while he talked, was admirable, he kept his cool, it was a friendly and fun gig.
(To Be Continued)
Last edited by TakeAPebble on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TakeAPebble

Re: Uriah Heep and Virgil and The Accelerators (my experienc

Post by TakeAPebble »

Sadly shortly after, three quarters into the night and I started to feel uneasy, very warm, and my chest began to tighten and my heart felt like a sledgehammer, took off my coat, I began to feel dizzy, my chest began to get so painful I had to leave and head for the bar for water. Felt better once I got away for a bit, luckily still could hear Uriah Heep's music through the walls.

Whilst waiting, I bought a Uriah Heep album (their latest) that was pre-signed (Believing if I didn't feel any better I'd head home) and Virgil and the Accelerator's debut album. Ended up bumping into Virgil himself, told him I enjoyed his band and asked if he could sign the album I bought, as he and the drummer signed it, being me, I gave him a business card, told him the nature of my business (I do mainly wedding photography and videography, but I also do album artwork, music videos etc) he was very grateful to receive one and said he'll "get in touch".

Afterwards I tried to get myself back in to see the rest of Uriah Heep as they were on their final two songs at this point. Sadly trying to get through was not easy as the entrances were blocked by fans, so I stood on the sidelines watching from afar. however, returned afterward to the stage door with my autograph book to find about 7 Uriah Heep fans there, we didn't speak much to each other, but each one disappeared through the night as it showed no sign of Uriah Heep coming out, it was just me and one other fan.

Suddenly Bernie Shaw (Uriah Heep's current singer) popped his head out of the stage door, first words he said to me were "Got any forks?" Stumped, I then said "No, but I have an autograph book, could you sign it for me?" he laughed, telling me about how the venue provided them with lots of salad and coleslaw (Pizzas to come shortly) but no forks! So had a good laugh.

Then, I waited again with the other guy, who had his LP signed, he disappeared off, I stood like a guard on watch and waited for the rest of the band to come, it was getting on an hour, the other guy had disappeared at this point. The security guard kept an eye on me, popping his head through the stage door asking if I was okay and told me, if I wanted to I could wait for them at the bar, as the band will be going down soon. I did pop to the bar for a bit but found myself returning to the door, believing I might miss them.

Later that night, a woman from Scotland and her daughter joined me, we exchanged a good chat, although had difficulty hearing her (I didn't realise it till later, but had a ringing in my ear that blocked my left ear) suddenly Mick Box (Uriah Heep's founding member and guitarist) popped his head out, straight away got him to sign my book, then, the flood of people came through as the drummer Russell Gilbrook and keyboardist Phil Lanzon followed, so the cramped corridor outside the stage got even more cramped. Luckily got Gilbrook and Lanzon's autographs before they were swept by the crowd.

Chuffed with myself, I thought I'll make tracks, but before I left, I had a cunning idea (In true baldrick fashion) I gave a business card to the tour manager, and later that evening, one to Lanzon, because, as Shaun (GuitarIdol on here) once told me, "shy lads get nowt" I thought why not, if there was a possibility of doing a music video for Uriah Heep, will be something great if it happened.

Now walked to get the taxi home, and to top off a brilliant night, I got in the taxi, and who should greet me? The mother of one of my exs... Bom bom duhhhh!

I left that gig, a fan of Uriah Heep, introduced to a new band, a positive outlook on things, and a ringing in my ears.

Simon
Attachments
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0022.jpg
Last edited by TakeAPebble on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cool review of your gig mate and good to see me getting a mention. Yes that ode is true and "Shy bairns do get nowt" In your case mate you could be doing the Heepsters next video. Good luck with that one mate. It was a pity you had a bad turn, but you stuck it out and ended up with some cool memorabilia. It'll makwe the gig that little bit more memorabil. ;-)