What the record companies don't want us to know

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRFan4Ever
Madman

What the record companies don't want us to know

Post by RRFan4Ever »

You've read so much about the music industry and its upstanding business practices that you likely think there isn't anything else we could tell you that would come as a surprise. But some record label tactics are so covert that it takes a fair amount of digging just to find out they exist. Here are a few things record labels don't want you to know that they still do in an effort to separate you -- and the artists -- from your hard-earned cash. http://www.cracked.com/article_20256_5- ... ure_module
Thankfully there is a generous amount of humor to offset the depressing reality that lurks behind the music that we love, and the artists that we don't want to see broken and panhandling at some point in their retirement. . . . .
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: What the record companies don't want us to know

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I didn't realize any of those things were secrets. That last one (or #1) is why pirating became so prevalent. Sell the CD for a decent price and people will buy is. Gouge the consumer and they will find another way to get it or simply avoid it all together.

There should be a new chart to rate music - number of "illegal" downloads! That would tell you what the people REALLY want.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Sell the CD for a decent price and people will buy is.
but on the other hand, what is a decent price? $15, $10, $0 ?
and exactly how are they supposed to pay for tours, studio time etc if cheap people
are demanding a decent price?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Sell the CD for a decent price and people will buy it.
but on the other hand, what is a decent price? $15, $10, $0 ?
and exactly how are they supposed to pay for tours, studio time etc if cheap people
are demanding a decent price?
Tours are to support the CD, the CD is not to support the tour. A band tours to drum up interest in their recorded works, then the fans go out and buy the music. That's been standard practice for eons.

And why would demanding a decent price make someone 'cheap'? I realize you're opinion 180 degrees opposed to anything I say, but that doesn't make my statements wrong.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

The record company's don't want you to know that the only thing they are interested in is MONEY

Been that way for a while now :(
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Did you guys read the article, even?

For example- how is it that the company can gross 11 million on an artist, and that artist is broke and still owes money to the label and other professionals?

What's up with those "performance fees" on ringtones they are talking about? There's some scary shit in that article, complete with links that establish credibility.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Yep- precisely why I posted the link. I'm all about the musicians getting their fair share, absolutely- but the labels don't want to pay it. And should anyone complain about the cost of a record or merch- the labels are quick to shit on the band!

The labels once monopolized the hell out of the industry- if anything, embracing the digital format has given the bands opportunities to make money and kick the recording industry in their ballsack for once.

I wasn't too informed on this issue before, and hadn't really given it that much thought, but Courtney Love (of all people) made a coherant statement that challenged the knee-jerk "but pirating is stealing" and "how will the musician/band make a living" -- and it makes sense how some musicians that once had #1 hits and multiple platinum albums back in the day -- are homeless, or someone is holding a benefit for a terminally ill band member who doesn't have health insurance and needs medical treatment.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

RandyRox wrote:Here's a break down graph, and read at the bottom " for every $1000 in music sold the average musician makes $23.40 :evil:

IS there a foot note or a refernce some were that links to this point?
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Tours are to support the CD, the CD is not to support the tour. A band tours to drum up interest in their recorded works, then the fans go out and buy the music. That's been standard practice for eons.

And why would demanding a decent price make someone 'cheap'? I realize you're opinion 180 degrees opposed to anything I say, but that doesn't make my statements wrong.
Imagine that, I agree with you here.
RandyRox

Post by RandyRox »

Last edited by RandyRox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Tours are to support the CD, the CD is not to support the tour. A band tours to drum up interest in their recorded works, then the fans go out and buy the music. That's been standard practice for eons.

Oh, I guess the money for the tour magically appears from somewhere? :lol:
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I was under the impression that the bands themselves handled the expenditures for touring? Unless there was one of those infamous "360" contracts involved, I assume.

At any rate, I don't suppose that the record companies are hurting as badly as the artists are, from these shady accounting methods. Trent Reznor and Prince have both figured out how to make some decent money without waiting on the royalty checks in the mail. . . . .
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RRFan4Ever wrote:Trent Reznor and Prince have both figured out how to make some decent money without waiting on the royalty checks in the mail. . . . .
but on the other hand, both guys has had a "massive" record company
backing so they were not exactly hurting for money ;)