20 elementary school children & 6 adults murdered in Conn

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shawn
Cool Member

Re: 20 elementary school children & 6 adults murdered in Con

Post by shawn »

Stiltzkin wrote: arm the teachers

And...... your wish has come true. This is going to end badly.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

On the brighter side, it could be worse, if this dude has his way:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130117/OPE ... ts-instead

I hope someone lets him in on the fact that a child's prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed until 22-25 years of age, thus the problems young people have understanding long term consequences, etc.

http://www.hhs.gov/opa/familylife/tech_ ... al_cortex/
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

shawn wrote:

Yup, it will end badly for the dude that thinks he can go into a school and shoot kids
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

RRFan4Ever wrote:is that "guns-free school zones" are now "killing zones". I didn't think the gun lobby would go there, but they did. Somehow, according to their il/logic- we need guns in gun free school zones because the criminals are now capitalizing upon students made vulnerable by laws that protect them.

WTF?!
You should probably study up on the shooting in in the movie theater in CO. James Holmes did not go to to the closet movie theater to his house. He picked the one with the "gune free zone" sign. I wonder why? If some one wants to shoot a whole lot of people were would be the best place to do it if you knew you were not going to get shot back? It would be a gun free zone.

I look at the recent tragity in Newtown, and the main issue I see is if the principal was armed how that horriffic event might have turned out. The principal was doing the morning anouncments and saw the gunman and charged him. I admire her for trying to stop him but it was in vain. If she had had a gun he would have been shot. And the chances of him being shot would have gone up the more the adminstrative office was armed. So I respectfully disagree with what you are saying.

Look at the the few past mass shooting. Newtown, The movie theater, and Virginia Tech. They were all "gun free zones". VT was the worst shooting. Keep in mind that he did not use rifles either. Just hand guns.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

dannyahansen wrote:
shawn wrote:

Yup, it will end badly for the dude that thinks he can go into a school and shoot kids
That's just the thing, the same people that do these things know what they're getting into (with the possible exception of the CO movie theater gunman who survived) and the prospect of dying doesn't seem to stop them. I don't think that teachers have the time to teach the kids adequately while packing heat- but that's just my opinion.

Time will tell how this works- or doesn't.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

dannyahansen wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:is that "guns-free school zones" are now "killing zones". I didn't think the gun lobby would go there, but they did. Somehow, according to their il/logic- we need guns in gun free school zones because the criminals are now capitalizing upon students made vulnerable by laws that protect them.

WTF?!
You should probably study up on the shooting in in the movie theater in CO. James Holmes did not go to to the closet movie theater to his house. He picked the one with the "gune free zone" sign. I wonder why? If some one wants to shoot a whole lot of people were would be the best place to do it if you knew you were not going to get shot back? It would be a gun free zone.

I look at the recent tragity in Newtown, and the main issue I see is if the principal was armed how that horriffic event might have turned out. The principal was doing the morning anouncments and saw the gunman and charged him. I admire her for trying to stop him but it was in vain. If she had had a gun he would have been shot. And the chances of him being shot would have gone up the more the adminstrative office was armed. So I respectfully disagree with what you are saying.

Look at the the few past mass shooting. Newtown, The movie theater, and Virginia Tech. They were all "gun free zones". VT was the worst shooting. Keep in mind that he did not use rifles either. Just hand guns.
It's not that I disagree with the 2nd amendment- I believe that there has to be something that we can do to reduce gun violence in our country. I don't agree that lethal force is always necessary- what about stun guns or non-lethal munitions? As with anything, there is also the fact that with more guns there are sure to be accidents. What if a child whom doesn't have access to guns at home manages to get one from the teacher and freak out? What if a teacher snaps out?

Of course, training would be ideal but how would law enforcement go about enforcing laws that either allow or mandate teachers to carry concealed weapons? Who will pay for these things?

I don't know about what area you live in, but I know that around here there is a lot of backlash about how much teachers (and unions) are paid- and I don't know that I would demand more of the existing infrastructure of public education than there already is. Perhaps arm the school liason officers and hire more of them. I'm just not comfortable with mandating that teachers have guns, I think it creates more problems than it would solve.

I think a huge part of this problem is that there are already too many guns here, no adequate way to account for them. I don't think that we need millions more annually, there has to be something that both "sides" can agree upon, without adding to the problem itself. IMHO Fighting fire with fire doesn't work well to address the issue, but it will damn sure burn a lot of people in the process. The logic (to me) is like allowing more drug dealers to deal drugs, to cut down on those that deal to kids or something. I just don't think that more violence is always the answer.

And I'm still trying to find sources to validate claims made on both sides of this issue- as usual, there is a lot of emotion and not many logical choices.

I've come to the conclusion some time ago that both the dems and the repubs work together in an Aaron Spelling type scripted fashion without offering anything of substance- one hand washes the other, meanwhile their decisions don't really impact their loved ones as they do ours. But that is another topic entirely.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=680276

Found an interesting thread where there is an attempt made at civil discourse in "gun control".
Although some posts are ignorant/offensive to some- overall I found it to be informative of both "sides". A good read, IMO.
JasonRain

Post by JasonRain »

What a tragedy.

Post by DJ Rock Angel »

It pained me greatly to hear of this tragedy; being the mother of a son with Autism...the night before this incident, he was taken to the Rod and Gun club with his Dad and the clearance of the city police. He fired a 9mm at the pratice range and zeroed and bulls-eyes the target and was made an honorary police officer in his home town. His dream is to be a police officer. I taught him the theory behind firearms is to defend and protect and to respect the weapon. He took a safety course and passed with flying colors. I get sad when I hear the sad things, but no one ever talks about the Good things that occur. They are few and far between. As a reward for doing so well at the range..he is getting an Ibanez acoustic that he picked out at Guitar Center.

No passage can divert the course of Pegasus the Muses Horse
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

DJ Rock Angel wrote:It pained me greatly to hear of this tragedy; being the mother of a son with Autism...the night before this incident, he was taken to the Rod and Gun club with his Dad and the clearance of the city police. He fired a 9mm at the pratice range and zeroed and bulls-eyes the target and was made an honorary police officer in his home town. His dream is to be a police officer. I taught him the theory behind firearms is to defend and protect and to respect the weapon. He took a safety course and passed with flying colors. I get sad when I hear the sad things, but no one ever talks about the Good things that occur. They are few and far between. As a reward for doing so well at the range..he is getting an Ibanez acoustic that he picked out at Guitar Center.
You are right

The media these days only seems to look at the bad side of things
DarbyGloss

Post by DarbyGloss »

We've heard so many shooting incidents, especially in schools. Government should reinforce gun control and measures needed to be taken. Maybe install metal detectors at the entrance and have security guards.
Last edited by DarbyGloss on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

DarbyGloss wrote:We've heard so many shooting incidents, especially in schools. Government should reinforce gun control and measures needed to be taken. Maybe install metal detectors at the entrance and have security guards.
Metal detectors and security guards are in place in many schools already. Personally, I believe parents need to spend more time with their kids and less time thinking of themselves. Raise the kids right and they will be less inclined to hurt others. Of course this method will take a generation before reaping the benefits, but in the long run it would work better than the government dictating rules, in my opinion.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i think even good parenting sometimes dont work..you have alot of kids all pilled up and the pills usually make these kids totally worse!!!when my son was 5 the doc told me he had add n should be put on ritalin i said no thanks!!!hes 14 now and hes fine.hes like me cant sit still lol
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's what I mean with parenting, Tito. Be a good parent rather than give the kid pills to make life easier.