Fender and the Economy

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Fender and the Economy

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I read a very interesting article here about how the economy is affecting Fender and Guitar Center.

There's a very scary comment in the article, "It’s worth remembering that the accordion was once the most popular instrument in America." Can you imagine a day when someone could say that about the guitar?

I found this very telling: " But this heart of rock isn’t beating quite the way it once did. Like many other American manufacturers, Fender is struggling to hold on to what it’s got in a tight economy. Sales and profits are down this year. A Strat, after all, is what economists call a consumer discretionary item — a nonessential.

More than macroeconomics, however, is at work here. Fender, based in Scottsdale, Ariz., is also being buffeted by powerful forces on Wall Street.

A private investment firm, Weston Presidio, controls nearly half of the company and has been looking for an exit. "

There's been lot's of talk about the economy, this one hit home with me.
Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Re: Fender and the Economy

Post by Geo Sav »

Yeah paul! Its very scarey out there. We have a family bussiness and it has been tough. I just mentioned to a friend in conversation that I haven't purchased a guitar in at least 5 years.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've bought maybe 5 in the last year, but the Gretsch was the only 'new' one and that went to the pawn shop a year ago... I buy $100 fixer uppers at the pawn shop, fix 'em up and trade them back for other ones. The frankenstrat I got most recently is a keeper though... it plays so nice. The neck only has 21 frets though, which makes some solos impossible!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hmmm, I haven't thought about it, but I haven't bought a guitar for two years, and before that another two. No plans for another at the moment either!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Guitar Center is owned by Bain Capital-yeah that Bain.As soon as wall st gets involved,beware of quality.Remember ,Romney and his ilk's only interest is to get max selling value before dumping the company.Wonder if Gibson is doing better than these 2 wall st owned firms?
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

My general opinion towards finance is that shit always hits the fan once share holders pop up.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

rice_pudding wrote:My general opinion towards finance is that shit always hits the fan once share holders pop up.

Rob
I read the link after i made my post.Just a rambling article about nothing really.Just mindless filler.Yahoo journalism quality.
I wouldnt give an economist anymore credibility with predicting musical trends than i would with the economy.They are about as accurate as palm readers.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Sounds like 'speculation' at work then.

rice_pudding's pet peeve No.16 :lol:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk