pre-crime technology/ minority report type stuff.

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RRFan4Ever
Madman

pre-crime technology/ minority report type stuff.

Post by RRFan4Ever »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTilJLRmHI

Some really crazy ish that has been mentioned in passing on the board, and I just so happened to find this video- what are your thoughts on this? Do you feel that by us putting our hands in the air while stating "I've nothing to hide" only further erodes what privacy or liberties we once had? Now, mind you- as far as I'm aware, this technology can easily be put into a car's GPS rearview mirror and it can read your respiration, etc. How many time as of late has it been on the news that criminals pocket dialed 9-11 in the course of committing a crime?

Food for thought, actually I think it's more like turds for thought, because I personally feel that Hitler would have loved this technology- eventually we'll all be slaves to our smart phones (waiting on a series of debits and credits) shit, there has even been discussion of putting blue tooth in kitchen applicances, like refrigerators.

Crazy shit, I tell ya! I have nothing to hide, but I feel that this is a mass infringement upon a person's privacy. And what if there is a person with a mental disorder like anxiety attacks or PTSD? If that technology is in place in vehicle, will it give the police the right to pull them over?

I'm not paranoid- just think that it would make for a lively conversation, that's all!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Re: pre-crime technology/ minority report type stuff.

Post by RRFan4Ever »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQmIqmoHb0

Another interesing piece on FAST technology.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'm not a slave to my smart phone because I see no need to own one.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

It's not necessarily a smart phone only thing; according to wikipedia
"The program was under the Homeland Security Advanced Research Agency and the Science & Technology Human Factors Behavior Science Division of DHS.[4] In a meeting held on July 24, 2008 the DHS Under Secretary Jay Cohen stated, the goal is to create a new technology that would be working in real time as opposed to after a crime is already committed.[5]

The DHS science spokesman John Verrico stated in September 2008 that preliminary testing had demonstrated 78% accuracy on mal-intent detection and 80% on deception.[6] However, this was not a controlled, double-blind study, and researchers from Lawrence University and the Federation of American Scientists have questioned its validity without further evidence.[7]

The system measures pulse rate, skin temperature, breathing, facial expression, body movement, pupil dilation, and other "psycho physiological/behavioral patterns" to stop "unknown terrorists". The technology would mostly be used at airports, borders, and special events.[8]Fox News reported that the mobile units transmit data to analysts, who use "a system to recognize, define and measure seven primary emotions and emotional cues that are reflected in contractions of facial muscles." The system is named MALINTENT. Results are transmitted back to screeners.[4][9]

DHS produced a 'privacy impact assessement' in 2008. It described the system as comprising:[10]

The DHS plan on using cameras and sensors to measure and track the changes in a person's body language, the tone of their voice and the rhythm of their speech. Civil Liberties Groups raised privacy concerns about the project but Burns from the DHS claims “the technology would erase data after each screening, and no personal information would be used to identify subjects, create files, or make lists”. He reassured the public that regulations would be put in place to protect privacy if and when the technology is deployed.
A remote cardiovascular and respiratory sensor to measure heart rate and respiration
A remote eye tracker
Thermal cameras that provide information on the temperature of the skin in the face
A high resolution video for looking at facial expressions and body movements
Audio system for analyzing changes in voice pitch
Possibly other sensors, perhaps pheromone detection
Anonymized aggregate results of the scanned information"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Att ... Technology
I'm flabbergasted that no one seems to mind that their every movement is recorded via GPS (phone or vehicle) or that each and every telephone call placed in the US is recorded and held indefinitely. I have nothing to hide but damn, yanno? IMHO opinion, we won't need a federal nationalized citizen card (er whatever) because once everyone is plugged into Obamacare, everyone will finally be accounted for.

However, I tend to have a difference perspective than most- given that half of my family suffered through WWII (concentration camps- hitler youth camps- many dead/missing children, etc) my favorite aunt explained certain similarities between Nazi Germany and where this country is going. I know that is a potentially offensive statement to make, but she gave birth to 3 children while in a HYC and I wasn't about to argue with her. Not only that, her father and his 4 brothers were forced into a concentration camp- and they were German! Anyway- she and I were just talking and she brought this to my attention. I love her dearly- not just for the beautiful woman that she is, the sacrifices she made or the pain she endured- I value her point of view because she lived thru it all. She didn't make it over here til 53, and she was the eldest of 12 children, born in 1927.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RRFan4Ever wrote:Obamacare
There it is... anti Obama.

Do you really think all the stuff you are talking about was conceptualized, created and implemented in 4 years?

It's an election year, so all kinds of propaganda will be put out there by each side to vilify the candidates. Just because wikipedia says it's so doesn't mean it is. Wikipedia is open to anyone who wants to post.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Hey, I voted for the guy so I'm not anti-obama, I disagree with how they're "reforming" healthcare by mandating that we all purchase insurance or get medicare. Perhaps they could have regulated the cost of health insurance, thus making it more affordable? No, it's a for profit industry. My mom worked in health care and she always said that a doctor's job is to find something wrong with a patient, and shunned doctors most of her life. So, yeah my opinion would disagree with many of the premises included in mandated coverage. Not to mention that the state where I live mandated that a driver carry minimum insurance- guess what, it went up.

And this isn't something that just sprang up for the election, it's been confirmed. A retired friend from the gov once said that much of the technology we're aware of existing dates back to WWII. Makes me wonder what else there is, but that is just me.