WTH HELL HAPPEND TO "Randy Rhoads Book SPOILERS"

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: WTH HELL HAPPEND TO "Randy Rhoads Book SPOILERS"

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've seen threads which have became even more heated and have been on here for much longer and are even still unlocked. It was nothing the thread couldn't handle and i agree with Paul a moderator should lead an example not instigate a bully campaign. He should be taking outside and flogged... Before the booing starts lets all do this for the good of the fans. The thread should be reopened and the mud slinging threads should be erased. That will take it down to a single page.. joking ;-) lets get the thread reopened put it to the vote.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

SOUNDS GOOD!!!BRING IT BACK I LIKE THE MUDSLINGING!!!!seriously it would be nice to see it back
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've just checked out some prices for shipping this book. If you order it from Book Soup the shipping costs is only $22.00 to the UK so the book will cost $121.00 = £75.20 thats a hell of a saving. Something to do with no customs taxes shipped out of California.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

This is what happened:
Hi Moderators,

I'm an attorney in Los Angeles and one of my clients is a publishing company named Velocity. Velocity has recently released a book about RR and his life. The materials in that book were extremely difficult to obtain and creating it was a timely and expensive process.

We're wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help remove these pages from the site. In order to reproduce anything from the book, we have to get permission from the author.

Is there something you can do to help us out? Feel free to call if necessary.

Thank you very much!,

Ashkaan Hassan, Esq.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

So is that in connection to the pics from that ebay advert of the book ?. What's wrong with some people its a free advert for them to help to sell the fucking book :roll: I see the other thread is gone aswell ? what was so wrong, for that one to go. The one with the radio interview from AK ?. FFS
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I understand that writing the book and clearing its contents was a pain in the ass, but if the publishers think that people will just drop 120-160 for a big ass book, sight unseen- they're wrong. I don't see how a few photos that demonstrate the depth and value of the book wouldn't do anything except boost sales- I for one will NOT fork out 100+ dollars for the Randy Rhoads book. I want a preview of some sorts before I commit my hard earned cash to that. IMO only stupid assholes would enjoy antagonizing their prospective buyers- again. How the hell could anyone possibly give out all of the contents of this book with the volume of material?

Eff em, I'll donate $160 to charity.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

This has all become sadly amusing...
Randy Rhoads Book Spoilers indeed.

Ya know, from the sounds of it, if you step back from all this and look at the big picture, it would appear that the Ultimate Rhoads site has twice had a role in gumming up RR related releases, whether it be books or video.

Lets put it this way..... if the conversation around here could have been a little more positive, and less scathing of its creators, perhaps those creators would be willing to play ball.
The conversation was about the creators - not the content. Sad, considering we have so little of it.
Sounds like the same sh%% happened with the documentary too.

I believe they didn't hype the book here cause they are not liked here..

This place should be a launching pad, not a stumbling block.
FFS.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

From what I can remember of those threads only Uniform Resource Locators were posted, as these are public domain you have no legal obligation to make them unavailable on this site. I would email Ashkaan Hassan in return and ask him to have the sites that the URL’s resolve to make them unavailable if he feels some law has been breached. Your servers are not hosting the contested material and in fact nor are the URL’s being resolved on your servers, that all depends on the location of the user and that users DNS server.

I could understand if members of this site uploaded portions of the book without consent. Linking to public articles, reviews, images, video is not illegal and is of no concern of his or his clients, only this sites owners/moderators personal moral views can restrict this from happening.

I would suggest because of objectionable material, in the authors mind, being posted you have received an email of this sort. The bonus of this is that each time the author or publisher asks their lawyer to intervene on his behalf they are getting charged for it.

There are several sites around that have the exact same material linked to that still have their threads publically available. This could be for several reasons, either they have ignored a similar email seeing it for what it is, or the publisher/author is attempting to bully you because of some past interaction.

Reinstate the threads, when you receive another email, ask what laws the lawyer believes you have breached. Draw it out for as long as you can, knowing that all the time the lawyer’s client is getting charged. Fortunately at this time there is no law stopping a site owner linking to public information.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:This is what happened:
Hi Moderators,

I'm an attorney in Los Angeles and one of my clients is a publishing company named Velocity. Velocity has recently released a book about RR and his life. The materials in that book were extremely difficult to obtain and creating it was a timely and expensive process.

We're wondering if you guys would be kind enough to help remove these pages from the site. In order to reproduce anything from the book, we have to get permission from the author.

Is there something you can do to help us out? Feel free to call if necessary.

Thank you very much!,

Ashkaan Hassan, Esq.

First of all, thanks for posting that explanation.

That said, I still think it was done incorrectly. Why not locate the offending posts and delete the pictures and/or links that are causing the issue and in their place put an explanation that, do to legal reasons, certain things had to be censored.

Why lock a whole thread? Why stop the conversation because a lawyer politely asks for the stuff related to copyrights be removed?

As for the email itself, if the authors and publishers want to censor the very people who would buy the book, then we, as a community, should boycott their product.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

shred1 wrote:This has all become sadly amusing...

Ya know, from the sounds of it, if you step back from all this and look at the big picture, it would appear that the Ultimate Rhoads site has twice had a role in gumming up RR related releases, whether it be books or video.

Lets put it this way..... if the conversation around here could have been a little more positive, and less scathing of its creators, perhaps those creators would be willing to play ball.
The conversation was about the creators - not the content. Sad, considering we have so little of it.

FFS.
Very well said.
Paul Wolfe wrote:That said, I still think it was done incorrectly. Why not locate the offending posts and delete the pictures and/or links that are causing the issue and in their place put an explanation that, do to legal reasons, certain things had to be censored.
Those photos were from ebay. I noticed the auction was taken down, along with the photos. I believe it's not just about the writers, it's about all of the photographers that own those photos and the section in the book that states no portions of the book, text, or photos can be reproduced anywhere, including the Internet, without prior permission. Many photographers stipulate this as a matter of importance when they agree to license their images. I don't think they mind someone showing a page from the book, just not a dozen or so pages. Photographers do not like their stuff getting copied.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I've just checked out some prices for shipping this book. If you order it from Book Soup the shipping costs is only $22.00 to the UK so the book will cost $121.00 = £75.20 thats a hell of a saving. Something to do with no customs taxes shipped out of California.
So much for that idea, i've just had my money refunded due to being out of stock. What a load of shite, how many books did they reserve for mail order customers? 3 ?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

patience idol!!!!!!!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Silver Rhoads wrote:Photographers do not like their stuff getting copied.
I don't think anyone does ;)
Imagine if you worked your ass off as a photographer for a living in the early 80's
and acquired rare Randy Rhoads pictures. How would you feel if you sold
it to a publishing company to be featured in a book, then you see the same
pictures you worked so hard for ending up on the internet, for everyone to view
for free, while you don't get a dime.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I've just checked out some prices for shipping this book. If you order it from Book Soup the shipping costs is only $22.00 to the UK so the book will cost $121.00 = £75.20 thats a hell of a saving. Something to do with no customs taxes shipped out of California.
So much for that idea, i've just had my money refunded due to being out of stock. What a load of shite, how many books did they reserve for mail order customers? 3 ?
Hey Shaun, I think they were only selling books for the signing event. Maybe that is why they're no longer available there.

Check your pm. I'm not sure if they are geting through. A couple of mine haven't been read.
Last edited by Silver Rhoads on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

shred1 wrote:This has all become sadly amusing...

FFS.
+1

Here's another simple suggestion instead of having spoilers and a locked/removed thread: JUST BUY THE BOOK! :)