Moore on Aurora.

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Moore on Aurora.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

This is a bit of a left turn on this subject, but I was watching newscasts on the civil unrest surrounding the anti-Muslim film that was up on YouTube last week. The thing that struck me is that in every country shown, the protesters were throwing rocks at the police/military while the police/military had guns available.

If the United States went into all out protest over something (hard to imagine since so many Americans prefer to bury their heads in the sand), would rocks be thrown by the protesters or would they use bullets instead?
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Paul Wolfe wrote: If the United States went into all out protest over something (hard to imagine since so many Americans prefer to bury their heads in the sand), would rocks be thrown by the protesters or would they use bullets instead?
I was thinking along similar lines in regard to the "keep the government from becoming tyrannical argument". My hope would be no, I trust Americans are smarter than that. But the real question for me would be when does it become civil war or terrorism? Civil protest can often be confused with civil disobedience, or escalate to such a level, the London riots are a good case of that. As far as democratic process goes, violent protest doesn't have a habit of achieving much. Protesting with guns would be the most horrendous means of voicing opinion. With an organised backing it would be called civil war, without that I guess it would be called pure anarchy.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd like to think it'd be a rock throwing crowd rather than gun-toting. However, if the government were to respond like they have in places like Syria, I think the guns would come out.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

You guys are special. I love guns. I shoot guns. I belong to a private range. It's a great hobby. I love black "evil" rifles. I'm a great shot. All my guns are legal. I must be crazy!

Things that anti-gunners don't get..
Police aren't there to protect you. If it came down to you and your family or the "bad guy". Are you a victim? Or?
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

sik_kreations wrote:You guys are special. I love guns. I shoot guns. I belong to a private range. It's a great hobby. I love black "evil" rifles. I'm a great shot. All my guns are legal. I must be crazy!

Police aren't there to protect you. If it came down to you and your family or the "bad guy". Are you a victim? Or?
Ok what are the chances of that happening to you?
The police are there to protect you and are much better mentally prepared at shooting a bad guy than the average homeowner or target shooter is.

The chance of one of your family members getting killed by your own gun is much higher.

There is nothing less irresponsible than letting mentally disturbed people obtaining guns.The nra crowd wants mentally ill people to have guns.Why on earth? Do you think mentally impaired or disturbed people should be banned from getting guns?
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

oth wrote:
sik_kreations wrote:You guys are special. I love guns. I shoot guns. I belong to a private range. It's a great hobby. I love black "evil" rifles. I'm a great shot. All my guns are legal. I must be crazy!

Ok what are the chances of that happening to you?
The police are there to protect you and are much better mentally prepared at shooting a bad guy than the average homeowner or target shooter is.

The chance of one of your family members getting killed by your own gun is much higher.

There is nothing less irresponsible than letting mentally disturbed people obtaining guns.The nra crowd wants mentally ill people to have guns.Why on earth? Do you think mentally impaired or disturbed people should be banned from getting guns?

Do you think alcoholics should drive cars?

We should make it so that u have to pass a sobriety test every tine you get in your car. Think of all the lives that would be saved.

If you haven't seen a trend in the past 10 years or longer.. The government is slowly taking our rights away... If they completely take our gun rights away we have lost the last foot hold.. Then our government will have control.

Criminals will still get guns.. People will still die..

The Aussies are doing great without guns...just watch

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... 8RDWltHxRc
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Oh brother,the govt has been taking your rights away since 1776.I have been hearing this argument since ...forever.

Yes a drunk shouldnt be allowed behind the wheel just like a mentally disturbed person shouldnt be behind the trigger.I dont know if there is a test to prevent a drunk person from driving a car but there are tests that would prevent wackos from buying guns.Whats the problem with that???
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

We are inundated w guns cuz they make money: bottom line. Personally I feel that this will only continue to get worse.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Watch the new NBC show Revolution and you'll get an idea of what happens when we, the people, are no longer allowed to have guns.

I am not a gun owner, but I firmly believe in the right to own a gun. However, I also believe some people should not have that right as Oth is saying.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

It reminds me of the western medical philosophy; chemicals and radiation both cause and cure cancer. I don't believe the gun lobby will be satisfied until every legal man, woman, and child are packn more heat than necessary.

*busts out Money, PF*
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I don't know if I've said this already, but I don't have an issue with Americans owning guns. I don't see the point, I think the law is laughably out of date, but whatever. As it happens I have a friend who regularly goes to a shooting range (in the UK in case you're wondering), it's been a hobby of hers for a long time, in fact her entire family shoots, and regularly attend national competitions. Her sister almost made it to the Olympics as it happens. It's a sport, the guns get locked up later, it's all good.

Where I find issue is with the branding and attitude around guns in the US. Look at the marketing talk on the SIG website. Where I find issue is that you can buy all manner of military hardware, that serves no purpose for self defence or sporting use.

Let me put it this way. I don't doubt that a large proportion of Americans (or anyone else for that matter) are responsible enough to own a gun. Like Mr Paul Wolfe, I'd trust him! Or my friend and her family. The problem is it's often the other proportion of Americans that seem to own all the guns.

Look at the the garbage that Philip Labonte chap posted. When the rest of the world arrogantly brand Americans as dumb, narrow minded, children who don't understand the world beyond their border, and have the political aptitude of a ham sandwich, they are not talking about Americans as a whole. They are normally lamenting the kind of crap Labonte and others come out with. Coming out with absolutely outlandish historical analysis (I use that word begrudgingly), declaring it infallible, and using it as a means of suddenly making your opinion a factually accurate appraisal of the world.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, most staunch advocates of gun ownership are legitimately stupid, in some cases paranoid, and in most cases harbour a very childish attitude towards firearms. I know people in the UK that would match that description too. Thank fuck they can't own a gun.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

http://news.yahoo.com/conn-man-kills-ma ... 53076.html

Self defence turns tragic-how a father shoots and kills his own son whom he thought was a robber breaking into a neighbors house.Had he called the police instead ,the cops would ve either not shot the kid or the kid would have surrendered or run away when he heard the sirens.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Dub post
Last edited by sik_kreations on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

oth wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/conn-man-kills-ma ... 53076.html

Self defence turns tragic-how a father shoots and kills his own son whom he thought was a robber breaking into a neighbors house.Had he called the police instead ,the cops would ve either not shot the kid or the kid would have surrendered or run away when he heard the sirens.

Yet incidents don't get national exposure.
http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety ... s-officer/

U can't always count on police.. and it's funny how the story doesn't even get any national headlines.. the gun club I belong to has cops. There are shoots where u can compete with cops. Let's just say average citizens shoot better then most cops who show up.. wierd.. and there supposed to protect us? No its to protect themselves first. Member the la riots? Police didn't even go I... Guess whay stores didn't het looted and ransacked? The ones who were gun owners. the ca supreme court justices said cops cant be everywhere to protect u. Hmmmm
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Good grief.