Cybernetic Hate Crime

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Cybernetic Hate Crime

Post by rice_pudding »

A man using a cybernetic device was assaulted in a McDonald's in France. It's a little unclear what the device is for, but presumably it is intended as a replacement for an eye.

The article almost reads like something out of a film or a video game. Raises all kinds of questions about the future of such technology.

http://io9.com/5926587/what-may-be-the- ... -mcdonalds

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I wouldn't appreciate someone following me filming or taking photos, so unless this is medically necessary, I relate to people taking offense -- however, I wouldn't go so far as to assault someone, unless they followed me to the bathroom!

Is there such thing as too much technology? And in the case of ebooks in education, peer reviewed pubs- etc- where is the accountability? It frightens me to think that info can be manipulated easily and without notice, but the user wouldn't suspect such a thing.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I guess the question for me is what future technology may include. If someone had an eye replaced with a camera type device, what's to stop that camera taking and saving pictures or video? And where does the line for privacy get drawn?

Can you stop someone from recording their memories through their own eyes. We all see and remember, we just can translate it into a universal format.

In truth, I suspect the very fact that an image may in an instance exist digitally, is enough to upset some people, even if the image is not recorded and ceases to exist beyond the point of origin.

On the specifics of cameras, I always find it sort of hilarious how scared the world is of them.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

rice_pudding wrote:I guess the question for me is what future technology may include. If someone had an eye replaced with a camera type device, what's to stop that camera taking and saving pictures or video? And where does the line for privacy get drawn?

Can you stop someone from recording their memories through their own eyes. We all see and remember, we just can translate it into a universal format.

In truth, I suspect the very fact that an image may in an instance exist digitally, is enough to upset some people, even if the image is not recorded and ceases to exist beyond the point of origin.

On the specifics of cameras, I always find it sort of hilarious how scared the world is of them.

Rob
I agree with you, but imagine you're in the men's room, pissing with reckless abandon- and this gentleman walks up along side of you (and the rest of the wall is empty) and gets up close and personal with that camera eye thing in your business- how would you feel about that? (minus the optional "winking at you with the other eye" thing)

The man in question seems to be testing this device for medical use but it seems that it isn't medically necessary. I don't fault him for patenting new technology- but I would encourage him to consider consequences before wandering around in public with it on. And that thing does look crazy! lol

I saw this crazy YT vid where this one guy had a tiny camera in his glass eye, it looked cool but really painful! Yeouch!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Haha, I'd wink back :wink: :shock:

Sorry for such a late reply, but I lost my internet for a while. I know what you mean, I think my main concern is that once you stick a camera in someone eye there is always the potential for it to record images, likewise a hearing aid could tape conversations. Whether that comes about as a legal function of such a device or illegal modification who knows??? Such laws are not yet written I suppose.

Once a device becomes an extension/replacement of the human body there is a very real precedent for allowing people to record such images in my opinion. If I peek (and wink :lol: ) at you in the men's room, I have a memory of the event, even if I don't have a video of it. Sharing it would be an obvious no, but I think it could be a real grey area, legally and morally, in the future.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Unfortunately those gray areas will keep writing new laws for us as we go along. Here in the states, there are plenty of prisons (and jobs!) to fill. And there is bound to be some crazy media attention that proceeds it. Anyone else remember barbies w tiny cameras in them? lol
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RRFan4Ever wrote:Anyone else remember barbies w tiny cameras in them? lol
What the hell!? lmao :shock:

I bet someone thought that was a bloody good idea for a while... at least until the shit hit the fan.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk