Childhood Memories

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Childhood Memories

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So I was thinking of my youth today... the RR anniversary led to thinking of other things I was into back then. So I thought I'd make a thread for the oldtimers to reminisce about their other early '80's memories (other than RR and music in general, we talk about that stuff all the time).

When I was in junior high we had 'ski school' on Saturdays where we'd go to the mountains and have ski lessons. The second year I was enrolled, I fell and ripped up the innards of my knee so I was stuck at home on Saturdays while all my friends went skiing.

This led to the discovery of Big Time Wrestling out of Portland, OR. I loved wrestling back then... Roddy Piper, Ric Flair and Rocky Johnson (father of Duane 'the Rock' Johnson)... my dad would take me to the events sometimes (he really was not a fan, but he did it for me). I clearly remember matches Buzz Sawyer, Rip Oliver, 'Playboy' Buddy Rose and Flair vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper before he became a big star at the first Wrestlemania.
Attachments
buzz.jpg
Piper.jpg
rocky.jpg
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Childhood Memories

Post by rice_pudding »

Whenever I see a picture of Piper I always think how non-athletic he looks. I don't think I've ever seen a picture where he looked toned even?! :lol:

Maybe it's his choice of clothing?

Yes I know I'm not an old timer, but I liked wrestling as a kid (97-2002) and can still get a kick out of the classics (early 90s, late 80s) 8) I'll be interested to hear what the other 'old people' come out with!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rob, as far as I know, Piper wasn't ever toned! The thing I liked about wrestling in the late '70's and early '80's was that the wrestlers looked like normal people. They made you think, "I could do that!" Now, if you aren't a gymnast & body builder, good luck... those guys, like Cena, don't look at all like normal people.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

paul also the guys used to actually slice themselves with a hidden razor for a couple hundred bucks!!!gordon solie for me was the best as far as telling the viewers what was goin on play by play!!!!rip gordon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:gordon solie for me was the best as far as telling the viewers what was goin on play by play!!!!rip gordon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved Gordon Solie's voice. He always made it sound like nothing was preplanned and he sounded surprised when things happened. In Portland we had Frank Bonnema who sounded like a caring uncle on TV. I will always remember this announcement when he died.

As for the blading, it still is done that way, blood is not as big a part of wrestling anymore...

Another memory I had this week was of roller-skating. We took the kids to a local skating rink and I was reminded of skating as a kid and 'battle of the bands' shows at the Lake Hills Skate Rink... The place here in Centralia has been in operation since 1907. The building has an 'old' smell to it - the kind that brings back memories. When we walked in, it was like walking back in time. The place is in good shape, but the owners chose not to 'update' the interior to keep with the times. It could have been 1950 or 1964 or 1975 inside... it was a lot of fun, even if I can no longer skate due to health issues. My kids were thrilled and want to make it a weekly thing.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thats awesome paul!!!!but bieng an old building it may still have asbestos in the walls brother keep that in mind!!!!!nothin like gordon when shit would get heated!!! "WAIT A MINUTE,WAIT A MINUTE WE HAVE A PIER SIXER GOIN ON RIGHT NOW!!!WE"LL BE BACK AS SOON AS WE GET SOME ORDER RESTORED!!!!!thanks for those memories paul wow!!!!!!!!!btw i hope you get better hermano!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:btw i hope you get better hermano!!!!
Thanks for that... for the record, the neurosurgeon told me there is nothing he can do to fix my back surgically this time. So it's living with pain from here on out. I can handle the pain, it's the memories my children are going to have when they have kids that bothers me... there are some things I just can't do with them, like rollerskating...
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

ez partner as long as you can be there with them it should be all good!!!!hell im gonna be 40 in june and if my son asks me to skate with him ill be like ahhhh sorry chico cant do it like i used to lmao!!!!!!take care brother and enjoy what you can..dont focus so much on what you cant do..
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Indeed, my friend, as long as I get to be a part of their lives and watch them grow up, it's all worth it.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Oh Paul that sucks, back pain just sucks on so many levels.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

my lower back blew out a few weeks ago when i went to tie my shoelace.The pain is nuts and constant.Never understood all the fuss about back pain til it hit me.Thankfully,the pain has diminished greatly after icing it like crazy.I think its a pinched nerve or muscle spasm.Felt like having a charlie horse in my lower back.Tender and the throbbing would move around.Painful to get into car and sitting in car seat would increase the pain.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:my lower back blew out a few weeks ago when i went to tie my shoelace.The pain is nuts and constant.Never understood all the fuss about back pain til it hit me.Thankfully,the pain has diminished greatly after icing it like crazy.I think its a pinched nerve or muscle spasm.Felt like having a charlie horse in my lower back.Tender and the throbbing would move around.Painful to get into car and sitting in car seat would increase the pain.

Back pain is one of those things that is very hard to understand until you feel it yourself. For me it feels like a knife being jabbed into my back just to the right of my spine at the beltline. The pain radiates down my leg to my right foot and makes walking difficult.

Sorry to hear you are having pain, oth, hopefully it's only temporary.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
oth wrote:my lower back blew out a few weeks ago when i went to tie my shoelace.The pain is nuts and constant.Never understood all the fuss about back pain til it hit me.Thankfully,the pain has diminished greatly after icing it like crazy.I think its a pinched nerve or muscle spasm.Felt like having a charlie horse in my lower back.Tender and the throbbing would move around.Painful to get into car and sitting in car seat would increase the pain.

Back pain is one of those things that is very hard to understand until you feel it yourself. For me it feels like a knife being jabbed into my back just to the right of my spine at the beltline. The pain radiates down my leg to my right foot and makes walking difficult.

Sorry to hear you are having pain, oth, hopefully it's only temporary.
Today i havent had any reminders of it-yet.So i think it is a temp thing.Ive been icing my entire back even though the pain is on lower right spine below belt.I also had faint tingling in right leg.My pain/charley horse moved all over my right back.
One thing i know is im getting older and i will have to start a real stretch and aerobic routine.I was just starting to jog when this occured.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth, stretching the hamstrings is the most important stretch to help your lower back, believe it or not. I was certain I was out of the woods after 3 surgeries - the last in '06... then I did some heavy lifting, repeatedly, at work and now I'm toast... I wouldn't wish this on anyone, so I do hope you are better, if not now, then soon.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Us old sods with one foot in the grave :wink: ... Oh my back Ouch!!! Yeah it's no laughing matter i had 18 months of pure hell back in 2001. With a bad case of sciatica. I was nearly at the operating stage as tablets and physio sessions did nothing to help. I just had to take the pain and get on with it. The only thing that would numb the pain was alcohol. But the next day it would come back with avengence. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So Paul and anyone else who has been there, it fucking sucks big time. Thank God i've been better for a long time and i'm taking it easy without doing any heavy lifting or serious head banging :lol: Life can be shit when your health isn't 100% so i raise my glass to everyone who is in pain on a daily basis. I sympathise and get well soon. :wink: