Clapton says guitar is dead

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Clapton says guitar is dead

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Seriously... click the link and read the article... it takes about 80 seconds for a slow reader to read...

Apparently the 'fad' of guitar playing is a done deal...
kamalayka
Cool Member

Re: Clapton says guitar is dead

Post by kamalayka »

The fear that your post caused within me was quickly alleviated when I saw the name of the website. . .

:lol:
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

I never thought much of Clapton anyways... but this is a ridicously stupid comment ...
"At this point, who'd want to sit through another incendiary guitar solo?" said Eric Clapton, a guitarist. "There's really only so much you can do with the thing. The guitar has had a nice run, but it's time to move on."

I find it amusing that the article has to point out that Clapton is a guitarist. That speaks volumes of his relevance today.

This sounds like an old man who can't keep up with todays music.
- "Those kids today sure listen to some strange stuff... not like when we were young and rock was rock... I just don't understand anything they are singing... it all sounds like noise to me."

I would love to ask Clapton this...
Name a song by Randy Rhoads. (Clapton - Randy who?)
What do you think of Bucketheads - Shadows Between the Sky. (Clapton - whats a Buckethead?)
What band does Chris Broderick play for? (Clapton - huh?)
Does Preston Reed need to play that way? (Clapton - what way?)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I'm assuming the website is a joke right? Satire etc...

On the chance that it isn't I would be careful not to take Clapton's supposed comment out of context. For which there is none. Is he talking culturally, musically, referring to a specific genre, discussing manufacturing?

Culturally the guitar certainly isn't what it once was, and as far as manufacturing goes, we are still in the 50s with little exception. Musically, I must confess I find much modern music soulless and mediocre, likewise the guitar playing.

The only thing I got from the article is that it might be trader speculation, aimed at shifting market prices! :lol:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Desi Serna posted a link to that article on his Facebook page, that's where I found it... Desi's comment was, "I don't think so. Play until yer fingers bleed."

I am not sure if it's satire or not, but Clapton surely doesn't believe the trend is dead... I'm sure he said that in some sort of context that would make sense. When the "Clapton is God" thing happened in 1967, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of the British being poor spellers and it was supposed to say "Clapton is Good" :D

The guitar is ever-present these days... in the '80's synthesizers gave them a run, but the guitar triumphed... maybe the quote was old (not to mention tongue-in-cheek)?

Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

The onion takes the piss, it’s their job and there good at it. They have sucked in a few commentators; they do it best when the self righteous fall for it and scream blue murder. Check them out they have some funny shit.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Alex wrote:Everything on TheOnion.com is meant to be funny. It's all satire. Clapton didn't actually say that.
I'm amazed everytime I have to explain that NOthing on theonion.com is real, it's all balderdash, and super funny satire, to pass the time:)

Kids trying to become famous- playing clarinet? gtfoh lol!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Haha, i had a look at the home page when Paul posted the link and i thought, really!?

It's testament to how out of touch I am with the real world that I had to think twice. I believe it was the story about a homeless man on an aeroplane that finally twigged it!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

The_Scratch wrote:I never thought much of Clapton anyways... but this is a ridicously stupid comment ...
"At this point, who'd want to sit through another incendiary guitar solo?" said Eric Clapton, a guitarist. "There's really only so much you can do with the thing. The guitar has had a nice run, but it's time to move on."

I find it amusing that the article has to point out that Clapton is a guitarist. That speaks volumes of his relevance today.

This sounds like an old man who can't keep up with todays music.
- "Those kids today sure listen to some strange stuff... not like when we were young and rock was rock... I just don't understand anything they are singing... it all sounds like noise to me."

I would love to ask Clapton this...
Name a song by Randy Rhoads. (Clapton - Randy who?)
What do you think of Bucketheads - Shadows Between the Sky. (Clapton - whats a Buckethead?)
What band does Chris Broderick play for? (Clapton - huh?)
Does Preston Reed need to play that way? (Clapton - what way?)
Whooooooooooooooooooooosh
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.