Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Cancer

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Cancer

Post by Axeman1956 »

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the "early stages of lymphoma," according to a band statement.

The original lineup of Black Sabbath -- Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward -- announced plans in November to record its first album of new material since 1978's "Never Say Die!" with producer Rick Rubin in Los Angeles. Iommi's illness forced the band to move recording to England, where Iommi lives.

"His bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time," the statement says. "Iommi is currently working with doctors to establish the best treatment plan. The 'Iron Man' of Rock and Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery."

The band was scheduled to kick off a world tour May 18 in Moscow, but it's unclear how the news will affect those plans. The band spent the past decade reuniting for occasional tours, though the version of the group -- fronted by Ronnie James Dio -- toured multiple times released a record under the name "Heaven and Hell" until Dio died of stomach cancer in 2010. This version of the band hasn't toured since 2005.

Last year Iommi published his biography "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath." His signature guitar sound and songwriting is largely credited with inventing heavy metal.
Fozzy41
Madman

Re: Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Cancer

Post by Fozzy41 »

Terrible news, can't believe it. :cry:
First Ronnie James Dio gets the dreaded big C and now Tony Iommi. WTF.
Fingers crossed Tony's has a better outcome than Ronnies. Life sucks sometimes.
You can't kill Rock 'n Roll
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

I know. the Elders of metal are falling quickly. Rhoads, Burtan, Scott, Bonham, Dio.... Too quick. I really hope he gets better really soon.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Shit !! Not a good start for 2012 Lets hope with the right doctors and some good positive vibes we'll see this guy back on stage very shortly.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This is really sad news and I can't believe it, Tony is such a nice bloke and I hope this was caught in time? Sabb without Tony is not Sabb at all! and if we lose Tony we have lost one of the biggest influences on rock music that has ever existed.

I send my love and respect to him and his family.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Damn, not a good start at all. I take it the tour will be hanging in the balance then?

Quite a lot of rock stars seem to fall foul of cancer, hopefully Tony will not be another.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk